Make a donation

Author Topic: Replacing screen wash bottle  (Read 871 times)

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Replacing screen wash bottle
« on: May 21, 2012, 07:27:32 pm »
I noticed a pool of liquid underneath the driver side front area the other day and have narrowed it down to it being the screen wash bottle that's leaking, the last time I filled it up it seemed to disappear in no time but didn't notice a leak then, anyway, I'm sure it's screen wash due to the smell of it, is changing the bottle an easy fix and does it have to be done from underneath the car??

I haven't got a clue how the screen wash bottle has managed to start leaking.

I've tried the search but didn't come up with what I was looking for.

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 34
Re: Replacing screen wash bottle
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 08:15:18 pm »
Hi,

changing the screenwash bottles really easy, all you need is a 10mm socket, socket wrench and a few extensions for your wrench

however... i doubt your bottle would be broken unless you've been in a smash...

i had a mystery leak of wash fluid and after a good few months managed to narrow it down to a tiny little o-ring/washer missing from the little connector which connects the hose to the pump which is fitted to the wash bottle

the easiest way to 'diagnose' this would be to remove the fog light cover (drivers side), fill your wash bottle with about a litre or so of wash fluid and whilst you watch through the fog light opening, get a helper to pull on the stalk to activate the pump... if its the o-ring you ought to see it quite clearly leak from the T-piece which joins the hose to the pump

part number for the 'angle piece' which includes the 'o-ring' is 3B0 955 665 C, i wouldnt recommend trying to replace the entire t-piece... just use a paper clipe to pick out the o-ring from the new t-piece and place that on the end of your t-piece and just push it onto your pump fitting

- if however it is your wash bottle then you've got to get yourself a replacement wash bottle - if you havent got headlight washers, i've got a bottle here complete with pump you can have for cheap  :smiley:
MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Replacing screen wash bottle
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 08:13:47 pm »
Thanks apples12, that does sound a more plausible reason for the leak, rather than the bottle just springing a leak. I will have a go at your suggestion at the weekend and report back how it goes.

I do have headlight washers, so wouldnt be able to buy your bottle, but thanks for the offer and your help, much appreciated :happy2: