Make a donation

Author Topic: Mobile Phone Handset Insurance  (Read 3080 times)

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
Mobile Phone Handset Insurance
« on: May 22, 2012, 11:25:39 pm »
Some of my mates pay up to £10 a month for insurance on their iPhone 4s' and HTC Sensation XE's which I think is scandalously expensive, although perhaps thats the going rate - hope not?  :scared:

I'm looking at buying a Samsung Galaxy S2 sim-free on a sim only contract which won't be more than £10 a month.

Are there any stoking offers that anyone can recommend with insuring it purely as it'll be quite pricey to buy outright?
I'd rather do a pay it outright type of deal than a monthly thing - £10 a month outgoings on a phone is more than enough with today's offers.

Thanks.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
Re: Mobile Phone Handset Insurance
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 11:35:48 pm »
I bank with the Halifax and recently upgraded to their ultimate reward account. Provided you have your wages paid in (over £1k a month) they will automatically give you £5 a month. Then you pay £15 a month for the account. This means you basically pay £10 a month for the account.

Then comes the benefits of the account.....click on link below.

http://www.halifax.co.uk/bankaccounts/current-accounts/ultimate-reward-current-account/
Golf R gone.

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 11:50:48 pm »
I got mine thru the Natwest.

I pay £12 a month for my Gold account, but that gives me…

Mobile Phone insurance (£1000max),
5* UK and Worldwide Travel Insurance,
20% off Home contents Insurance,
GreenFlag Breakdown cover (Roadside and Homecall),
Identity Theft Protection £5000,

….plus quite a few more benefits too  :wink:

If you are not with the Natwest, it might be worth asking your Bank if they do anything similar. :happy2:

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 12:01:36 am »
Some of my mates pay up to £10 a month for insurance on their iPhone 4s' and HTC Sensation XE's which I think is scandalously expensive, although perhaps thats the going rate - hope not?  :scared:

I'm looking at buying a Samsung Galaxy S2 sim-free on a sim only contract which won't be more than £10 a month.

Are there any stoking offers that anyone can recommend with insuring it purely as it'll be quite pricey to buy outright?
I'd rather do a pay it outright type of deal than a monthly thing - £10 a month outgoings on a phone is more than enough with today's offers.

Thanks.

if its an s2 you can pick those up pretty cheap these days anyway so cant see it being a high band.

Sim only contact i hear you say? Giffgaff!

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 12
  • Different
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 10:27:16 am »
there was a recent survey, in which I think it showed that none of those 'packages' were worthwhile and most people never used any of the features, and you could often get the items cheaper seperately elsewhere. Bare that in mind, obviously the banks provide them to make money from you, not to be generous!
Seat Leon Mk2 TFSI sport 4WD sleeper - Breaking
Buld thread: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45377.0.html

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 10:35:11 am »
I use most the features from my Barclays Premier account. 2x iPhone 4S insured, interest free overdraft up to £1k, european break down cover, unlimited multi trip travel insurance, gadget cover + way more.

It costs us £17.50 per month, and there is no way i could get all of that stuff cheaper elsewhere.

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 10:38:36 am »
Looking into Natwest Advantage Gold now, but in 2 minds about it. When I add it up it's a no brainier but for some reason still undecided

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 11:18:00 am »
We have a Barclays Additions A/C £15 a month which gives - 2x iPhone Insurance, Annual Worldwide Travel Insurance (which for us is the big selling point, with a number of health issues to consider between the 3 of us :roll eye:) Full RAC breakdown & Recovery for both cars (it's a joint policy) a Will writing service which we are about to use again this year (cut out those relatives that have pi$$ed us off this last year :evilgrin:)

I'm sure theres other benefits but those are the main ones. Like I've said a 1 week travel policy to spain use to cost us £200 and it was a load of hassle doing the medical screening process. And if you go to the states it used to be an eye watering premium :scared:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:23:03 am by Eccie »

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • Global Ruler
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 11:21:42 am »
there was a recent survey, in which I think it showed that none of those 'packages' were worthwhile and most people never used any of the features, and you could often get the items cheaper seperately elsewhere. Bare that in mind, obviously the banks provide them to make money from you, not to be generous!

Well I normally travel abroad 3-4 times a year, so the £12 it costs for the "package" is worth it for me just for the travel insurance alone. Last time I paid £40 for a years travel insurance.

Then there is the breakdown cover. Yeah I might not breakdown, but if I ever did I'm  sure it would cost me more than the policy cost me.
If I hadn't have got it with this policy, I would have paid for cover somewhere else. So it saved me £70.

Factor in the average £10 a month for mobile phone insurance on its own, and you'd be daft to think "the package" isn't worth it.

Plus there are many more benefits which I haven't mentioned.

If u don't think u will ever need any of the benefits then u don't take out the policy. End of story.

Banks don't force u to Upgrade to a higher interest account with the benefits.

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • Global Ruler
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 11:31:57 am »
Looking into Natwest Advantage Gold now, but in 2 minds about it. When I add it up it's a no brainier but for some reason still undecided

Do it mate  :happy2:

It is Def a No-Brainer.  :wink:

You can cancel the policy at any time (IIRC) not that u would want to.

Just look at what you get for £3 a week (thats the price of a pint)

ONE thing I will say is……When u call to give your phone details, the insurance group will ask you for a copy of the receipt for the phone and it must show the IMEI number. Now if you have an iPhone, Apple don't show this on their receipts.
So you have to ask Apple to send you confirmation that the phone is in your name showing the IMEI number as well.

Yeah is a bummer, but shouldn't take long to to.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 12:04:33 pm »
I bank with LloydsTSB and have the platinum account which provides mobile phone insurance, free overdraft, worldwide travel insurance and full breakdown cover, it costs me £9pm but should be £18pm.
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 12:12:37 pm »
I bank with LloydsTSB and have the platinum account which provides mobile phone insurance, free overdraft, worldwide travel insurance and full breakdown cover, it costs me £9pm but should be £18pm.

How come - staff discount or promotion? (...........goes off to look for smug icon)

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 01:09:23 pm »
i have a llloyds account and its a joint account meaning we both get all the benefits. was worth it for me because i didnt have break down cover or phone insurance.

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 12
  • Different
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 02:17:49 pm »
Seat Leon Mk2 TFSI sport 4WD sleeper - Breaking
Buld thread: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45377.0.html

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 07:07:39 pm »
Fellas, have I missed something?  :ashamed:

Most of you have referenced bank or building society accounts that include mobile phone insurance.
Is it not easy to find Mobile ins. away from the above providers? It's got to be hassle free and low cost so I won't be looking to open any new bank accounts with any associated charges.

Thanks for the feedback so far anyhow  :smiley:

Sim only contact i hear you say? Giffgaff!

Yep, a GG sim has been sat on my desk for 4 months Ed while my Vodafone contract ends later this month  :happy2:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door