Make a donation

Author Topic: Servicing  (Read 645 times)

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 6
Servicing
« on: May 29, 2012, 10:41:39 am »
Guys

I have a quick question… I have the car going in for its annual service its a 05 plate GTI with approx. 55k on the clock and it does very little mileage as its mainly a weekend car. Bought a couple of years ago so on initial pick up I had the garage do a major service, cam belt, water pump and DSG service, in addition its had new discs and pads all round (so I am guessing brake fluid was done at the time too), new coil packs and plugs, new charcoal canister and a few other bits and pieces…. last year I had a minor service so ringing up VW today to book it in I was told this year it requires an inspection service (minor service £139, inspection service £259)…

Now I love my car but… and I am not that mechanically minded (would love to be, and will give most things a go) but I was under the impression there were two types of service major and minor? Can any of you guys shed a little more light as to why there is another type of minor service?

Thanks in advance

Tim

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Re: Servicing
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 10:44:13 am »
certain things like spark plugs, pollen filter etc. don't come under a minor service, so might be referring to those. best to call your dealer and ask what extra work will be done

in regards to the brakes, a brake fluid change will only be done if you ask for it so i wouldn't assume it's been done.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 10:50:48 am »
plugs have been done along with coils... I'll check the receipt when I get home but with all the discs and pads replaced I'm sure they did the brake fluid at the same time... from what they mentioned on the phone it seemed the inspection service involved replacement filters...

Offline DMcG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 11:11:46 am »
Are plugs not every other year so if you last had them done a couple years ago they will be due now. I wouldn't assume brake fluid was done, check and that should also be changed at 3 years then every 2 years so may again be due and should be £59 under fixed priced servicing.

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 11:20:33 am »
plugs was last year, as they wasnt done at the major service..

its more the intermediate 'inspection' service never heard of one and haven't found it on their web site...

anyone come across the same thing?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 12:18:13 pm by chowgar »