Make a donation

Author Topic: Hello GTi people! Wannabe owner looking for "the one"!  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Welshman Adam

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 2
Hello GTi people! Wannabe owner looking for "the one"!
« on: May 24, 2012, 02:03:11 pm »
Hi all!

Just signed up this week as I'm looking to buy a Mk5 GTi.  Change of job recently means I now drive 200 miles a week (used to commute by train into central London) and the (mint) '96 Polo 1.9D CL I'm using at the moment is becoming a bit dull (the 55mpg is pretty cool though!).  Have decided a Mk5 GTi is the way forward.  

Am looking to get a 5 door manual, preferably in black, steel grey, white or blue (possibly red at a push).  Would also like multifunction wheel, luxury pack, rear tints...   At the moment I'm in the "research" phase and have driven one standard GTi so far.  Haven't driven a ED30 yet, but will be doing so this evening so I can see what the differences are like.  

My main concern is the ride quality over the standard car - I found the GTi to be a pretty spot on compromise between comfort on the motorway/dual carriageway and good handling on the smaller A & B roads.  I will find out soon enough though!  

Anyhow, enough waffle for now.  I'll be in and out of here to pick people's brains over the next few weeks as I try to find "the one".  

Will pop by the stand at GTi International and say hello and generally gawp at the cars.

Cheers,

Adam
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 07:25:38 pm by Welshman Adam »
Black ED30 No. 1,328 - Gone but not forgotten...

Saintsteve

Re: Hello GTi people!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 04:56:50 pm »
Welcome along!  :drinking:

Offline Welshman Adam

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: Hello GTi people! Wannabe owner looking for "the one"!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 07:26:13 pm »
Cheers!

Offline Tamiyoman

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 08:46:50 pm »
Welcome along  :happy2:

Regards Ride quailty between GTI and ED30 you wont notice any difference, but you will when you floor it  :evilgrin:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline Welshman Adam

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 11:29:04 pm »
So there's no difference in the spring rates? Just lower ride height?

I test drove an ED30 yesterday and wasn't sure if there was any difference to the GTi I drove (it was a couple of weeks ago). It wasn't uncomfortable that's for sure. I drove 58 plate A3 with the S-Line suspension and that thing was so unforgiving, I was worried the 30 would be similar but was pleasantly surprised.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 05:18:43 pm »
Had a GTI, now an ED30. ED30 has more "wiggle" room for tuning. 300 bhp and big increases in torque is easily there with a few mods. Since ive had mine,  mpg has been 24.5, mainly very short trips though.

Oh and what the "possible red at a push" all about!!  Best colour, deep down you know it.  :evilgrin:

:drinking:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Saintsteve

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 05:56:45 pm »
Ride height is the same on both ed30 to std GTi.

just a 15mm drop from the standard mk5 golf variants.

Offline Welshman Adam

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 06:07:04 pm »
Had a GTI, now an ED30. ED30 has more "wiggle" room for tuning. 300 bhp and big increases in torque is easily there with a few mods. Since ive had mine,  mpg has been 24.5, mainly very short trips though.

Oh and what the "possible red at a push" all about!!  Best colour, deep down you know it.  :evilgrin:

I say "possibly red" because our Polo is Flash Red and I just fancied a change. If the right spec one comes along in red I'd certainly consider it.  :happy2:

Is the mpg OK on the motorway? Over 30?? I've told the missus it'll do 35 mpg on the commute (A2 and M25)...

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 06:23:46 pm »
Be a few ed30 on the ukmivs.net stand at Inters also  :signLOL:

Welcome enjoy the hunt, sure you will not be disappointed with either car you find.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 11:16:35 pm »

I say "possibly red" because our Polo is Flash Red and I just fancied a change. If the right spec one comes along in red I'd certainly consider it.  :happy2:

Is the mpg OK on the motorway? Over 30?? I've told the missus it'll do 35 mpg on the commute (A2 and M25)...

My mpg, in an ED30, on Motorway runs are around 37mpg (ish) depending on speed of course, can't speak for others though.
 Pretty sure most of us have all tried the "how many mpg can I get out of this car" game, end up driving around 65mp in
the slow lane, not daring to touch the brake (or the loud pedal) for fear of ruining the flow. Bloody boring and not to be recommended!!
 :happy2:

Saintsteve

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 07:57:59 am »

I managed 41.4 doing 56mph set on cruise  :driver:

My mpg, in an ED30, on Motorway runs are around 37mpg (ish) depending on speed of course, can't speak for others though.
 Pretty sure most of us have all tried the "how many mpg can I get out of this car" game, end up driving around 65mp in
the slow lane, not daring to touch the brake (or the loud pedal) for fear of ruining the flow. Bloody boring and not to be recommended!!
 :happy2:

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 08:42:47 am »
^^^^ keeps coming back to that so called "magic" 56mph for the best mpg. Do you reckon the Cruise Control makes a difference,  might get JKM Performance to fit it when down there next.
SORRY to OP for digressing!!

Saintsteve

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 01:02:50 pm »
^^^^ keeps coming back to that so called "magic" 56mph for the best mpg. Do you reckon the Cruise Control makes a difference,  might get JKM Performance to fit it when down there next.

Personally think it doesn't make much difference, except if your trying to keep to a speed for a long period of time, it's a hell of a lot easier, rather then trying to concentrate on keeping your heavy right foot at a constant velocity. Which is more difficult in a car that can excelarate in a blink of an eye.

Saintsteve

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 01:04:16 pm »
PM VRStu for cruise control  :wink:. He's near JKM but a lot cheaper shall we say  :happy2:

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 01:48:21 pm »
PM VRStu for cruise control  :wink:. He's near JKM but a lot cheaper shall we say  :happy2:

Cheers mate, will have a think whether if it's really needed!!  :happy2: