Make a donation

Author Topic: OEM gearbox oil?  (Read 16119 times)

Offline reflex11

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
OEM gearbox oil?
« on: May 24, 2012, 02:11:11 pm »
is it true Fuchs TITAN SINTOPOID SAE 75W-90 synthetic gear oil is the exact same stuff as the oem vw gearbox oil?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 02:16:55 pm by reflex11 »

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 34
Re: OEM gearbox oil?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 02:20:42 pm »
there's been massive discussions over on tdiclub about manual transmission fluids in the 6 speed vw gearboxes and it was pretty unanimous that the best one by far was the VW OEM G52 which would be matched by the dealer from your VIN number...

the long term lubricity of the aftermarket oils deteriorated considerably compared to the OEM G52 oil..i'll try to dig out the thread and put up a link for the one i read when i changed mine out

MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline reflex11

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 03:00:24 pm »
Hey apples you know when you told me about the shift linkage
How do you actually adjust the linkage i know the dieselgeek video
Doesnt really show you, and a safe way to remove the gaitor .. My
Problems still exist i feel like givin up on this car ... All ive given it is ALOT of money & love!
And its still not respondin!!! :-(
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 03:11:04 pm by reflex11 »

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 03:11:16 pm »
Hi,

to remove the gaitor it depends which type you've got...
i've got the 'older' one where its just a piece of 'leather' so all you do really is just reach in and pull it out... lol i know its a bit vague

look at that video,

i would NOT do what he did with the card though, you risk scratching the plastics and removing that soft grey stuff VW put on the plastics. just reach in and pop it out! its the same procedure for both the leather only and the one where you've got the silver stripe

what exactly is the problem you're having with it?

i've changed out my gear oil, lubed up gear shifter mechanism, changed out the boden cable catches (those black plastic catches at the gearbox end) adjusted the gear linkage and i've still got a slightly notchy gear change .... but my mileage is juuuuust about to touch 158,000....lol. so its probably just my gearbox showing its age.

depending on your mileage it may just be a sign of its age and you'll just have to live with it unless you really want to recon your gearbox - a bit overkill in my opinion but if you want it to be absolutely perfect then its your car and if you want it that way then make it so!

stick to OEM gearbox oils, stick to OEM greases for the mechanisms... they're mostly designed to last the life of the car - VW actually say to never change the gearbox oil - thats how much faith they put in their gearbox oil!

GONE

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline reflex11

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 03:18:44 pm »
mileage is just about to hit 70k  :confused:

same problems as before, notchy gear especially 2nd, 3rd alil abit and first is always feels like resistance like somthing is still moving idk when i stop at a traffic light and try to put it in first, most of all this after a new clutch
garage has said its fine -.- .. and will do a gearbox oil change free of charge if I supply the oil because that's what they think it is? anyone reccomend motul gear 300?

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 03:28:57 pm »
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=132884

theres the thread comparing various 'high quality' gearbox oils to OEM G52...

i reckon before you get your gearbox oil changed, adjust your linkage properly as that's probably one of the biggest problems - especially as you've just had a clutch change (my diesel was on its original clutch/flywheel up until 152,000...) and i think i may have mentioned in one of my previous posts about the issues after not adjusting it properly after fitting the cables back following the clutch/flywheel change!

do the linkage adjustment, then the gearbox oil change...

if at all possible try to get your garage to retain your old gearbox oil - and its VERY important that they only refill your gearbox with the same volume of gearbox oil as the amount that they drain...

the oils quite viscous and roughly 200-300ml will remain within the gearbox, if they then continue to fill it up with 1.7L (the reference value for most vw 6 speeds) you risk overfilling and blowing seals - oil then gets onto your flywheel/clutch and all sorts of nasties....

the way i did it was took a large 2 litre clear glass bottle which i marked at 1 litre, 1.1-1.9 litres in 100ml graduations and took a large funnel along and had them drain it into the glass bottle...

from here you can see the exact amount which drains out and fill this exact amount back through the reverse sensor hole from the top...

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/manual-transmission-gear-oil-change-Jetta-Golf.htm

same procedure on the 6 speeds - at least on my tdi 6 speed - do you know your gearbox code?

GONE

Offline reflex11

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 12:05:03 am »
no idea what my gearbox code is my car is an 05 plate if that makes up for anything? anyway I bought 3 bottles of castrol 75w 90 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300684820977?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 because I heard it's 2.4Litre to fill the gearbox?
thanks for the post but I didn't understand much of it, as I think they're talking about the mk4 which probably takes different gearbox oil?

also why would I want them to retain my old oil for?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 12:08:49 am by reflex11 »

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 12:24:39 am »
you would need to be 100% certain of the quantity your gearbox takes - if you overfill you risk the increase in pressure blowing a seal - this could result in oil getting past the seals past into your flywheel/clutch resulting in all sorts

there's two fill values for the gearbox, a 'dry' fill value and a 'wet' fill value, 99% of the time the value you'll see quoted will be a dry fill value, the vw workshop manual that i worked off when i had mine done stated that in order to ensure that the gearbox was filled to the correct level you drain completely and measure this amount (this is why you would collect the used oil - also to examine the used oil for presence of metal particles) then work from there as there would be an amount of oil which would remain in your gearbox after you drain

it would really depend on your gearbox type, the gearbox on mine is really weird in the sense that the port to check the oil level is actually below the actual level where it needs to be... a design flaw in the gearbox...

i'd strongly recommend the linkage adjustment/bowden cable catch greasing...
GONE