Make a donation

Author Topic: Costco tyres SHOCKER!!  (Read 21961 times)

Offline Jussa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
Costco tyres SHOCKER!!
« on: May 24, 2012, 05:50:17 pm »
Anybody have any experience buying from Costco??

Called them up today to find out whether their tyre sale will start next month, and they said it probably would but were not sure yet.

They then proceeded to tell me that if I wanted 2 tyres per car (want to buy the missus car a set as well - minimum purchase 4 tyres) they could only fit them on the rear - something to do with preventing accidents ?????  :confused:
I only need 2 at the moment, the other 2 are good.

Even worse, they then told me I couldn't just buy 2 tyres for my car, because it's Quattro I have to buy all 4 WTF???   :mad:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Re: Costco tyres SHOCKER!!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 05:52:55 pm »
apparently it's good practice to put new tyres on the rear for reasons i can't quite figure out (possibly due to reduced braking efficiency whilst the tyres are bedding in as most of the braking is done by the front brakes)

so when they say they'd only change the rears i'm assuming that means they'll put your good rear tyres on the front

that business about quattro is rubbish, but it would be advisable on a quattro to have the same make/type of tyre on all 4 corners (tho that holds true for any car), and Haldex cars need the same rolling radius on all 4 corners (give or take 4% apparently)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 05:55:12 pm by sub39h »
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 05:54:39 pm »
I know they recommend having the tyres with the most tread on the rear of the car for FWD. There's a vid on YouTube of vikki butler-Henderson explaining why and is posted on here somewhere.

As for 4wd I don't know what they are on about

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 05:59:01 pm »
can you not just buy the tyres only and get them fitted elsewhere?

I need 4 235/35/19s and was hoping to get involved in a bit of costco action but was hoping to pick them up in the van and fit them at a later date.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 06:05:32 pm »
They told me it was some sort of proven safety test, but only valid if a car doesn't have ABS  :mad:
I mean if your car has ABS u should have the choice where u want your tyres.

can you not just buy the tyres only and get them fitted elsewhere?

I need 4 235/35/19s and was hoping to get involved in a bit of costco action but was hoping to pick them up in the van and fit them at a later date.

You can buy them and get them fitted for free at Costco whenever u want  :happy2:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 06:23:51 pm »
It's Costco policy to fit new tyres to the rear. Arguing with them won't get you anywhere as they're not allowed to deviate from their policy. Unless you have a special reason why. Someone one let them argue about the tyres needing to be rotated etc. and he let them blather on for a couple of minutes before telling them his rear tyres were larger than the fronts. They fitted the ones he wanted to the front.

Also, they won't fit tyres less than the manufacturers spec either, so if you go in and ask for H speed rated tyres on a GTI they won't fit them. Again, complany policy.

Being a stickler for the rules isn't a bad thing really, as so many people will try anything to get all sorts of tyres fitted, and if they're copped by their insurance then Costco will end up in the frame for fitting them. Easiest way with the rears - front thing is just let them do it, then swap 'em back on your driveway when you get home. As for the Quattro needing all 4, that's gonna be a hard one to pull them over on.
Sarcasm for free. Anything after that can only be considered as a bonus.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 06:49:14 pm »
ive never actually bought anything rom costco before. is it easy to set up an account?

Do they do all sizes?

If someone can give a heads up when the sale starts it would be great
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 06:52:26 pm »
It's easy to setup an account but it depends on where u or your partner work.
I work at a bank, so I can get normal membership, and my missus is self employed so her membership is better.  Read the membership options  -  http://www.costco.co.uk/membership/

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 06:54:17 pm »
It's easy to setup an account but it depends on where u or your partner work.
I work at a bank, so I can get normal membership, and my missus is self employed so her membership is better.  Read the membership options  -  http://www.costco.co.uk/membership/

im a self employed car detailer

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 07:00:47 pm »
i dont get why i couldnt just buy the tyres and take them away to fit elsewhere. Having them fitted there seems a ball ache from reading various posts

Offline ktlstar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 07:11:49 pm »
Justin,  pm me tyre detail nd make you want, ill get them and at a  discounted price.
- #1240 ED30 Revo STAGE2+
- Southeast - Vag Com owner

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 07:13:16 pm »
Justin,  pm me tyres and make you want, ill get them discounted for ya

is that an open offer? :)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 07:17:36 pm »
I'm not going to explain yet again, along with many others on this forum, why you should ALWAYS put a pair of new tyres on the rear whether FWD or RWD - Use the feckin' Search button, guys!

It is also considered good safe practice to fit 4 new tyres at once to a 4WD/AWD car, but perhaps that a proper 4WD car rather than a Haldex.

FFS don't save or muck about thinking you know better than the experts about tyres - It's the only point of contact you have with the road.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline ktlstar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 07:18:44 pm »
Justin,  pm me tyres and make you want, ill get them discounted for ya

is that an open offer? :)

If you can pick them up from Croydon/Bromley in Kent yeah sure :).
- #1240 ED30 Revo STAGE2+
- Southeast - Vag Com owner

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 08:04:56 pm »
From a purist point of view, swapping tyres rear to front (or otherwise) is not a good idea. Tyres wear to a specific pattern of wear over their life, and moving them from one place to another on the car will disturb their wear pattern and cause issues with poor wear patterns. For this reason, when changing wheels (as a set, for example) the position on the car is noted for each wheel, and they can then be returned to the same corner when refitted. Rally drivers, F1, even karting drivers will keep the same tyres on each corner.

Having said that, most drivers are not purists, and simply get in and drive to their limits  :laugh: For these drivers, fitting new tyres to the rear is safest for all.
Sarcasm for free. Anything after that can only be considered as a bonus.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.