Make a donation

Author Topic: Holidays  (Read 1843 times)

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
Holidays
« on: May 25, 2012, 07:29:38 pm »
I'm trying to book a holiday for me and my son at the end of July

But the prices are mental compared to last year.

I just want a week in the sun with waterparks and a beach nearby so will most likely be in Spain but I'm looking at about £700 each to go all inclusive, was only £300 each last year!

Does anyone know any good sites to try? Already checked ice lolly, Thomas cook, Thompson and first choice.

Or even any sites for booking the hotel? Getting prices of around £800 just for accommodation.

Offline Degudodger

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
Re: Holidays
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 10:54:05 am »
Give Expedia and holiday supermarket a try. Also look at www.quidco.com to get some cash back, it may not be a massive amount BUT it helps.

As the end of July is peak season you are going to pay silly money regardless of where you go.  :sad1:
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 11:06:42 am »
Have you looked on Travel Republic, Low Cost Holidays, On The Beach.
Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 11:33:39 am »
Just book the flights and get to Spain. At the airport as the Travel reps and have a wedge of euros , there will be tons of places with space. Travels reps will ven get you to there places in the coaches/taxis etc for free......Masses of empty apartments/villas too
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 04:57:02 pm »
I managed to get a holiday for £760 for the two of us to the costa del sol.

I used the price comparison on trip advisor when looking at the review for the hotel and one company (hotels4u) were half the price of Expedia, travel republic etc

Got the flights from Aberdeen too which saves the usual 3 hour drive from Edinburgh or Glasgow after the holiday.

The flights are operated by Barrhead travel so I hope they are good

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 05:21:19 pm »
Also won't be using ice lolly ever again

Every holiday I phoned about turned out to be at least £100 more than the price on ice lolly but they were reluctant to tell me the price just kept asking me if I wanted to book and for my card number and eventually told me the price when I said that I didn't want to book until I knew the price they was going to charge

Guess a few people would get a shock when they get charged more on there card for a holiday they think is one price

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 09:22:27 am »
I've noticed things are more expensive this year too - we have a 3yr old which is going to cost me the same as adult at some places, last year we just paid for the flights - now when your talking £800-£1k for a week in the sun for a 3yr... i think not.

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 10:24:29 am »
Ive been looking around for the same time as in my wisdom I booked from july 27 off so I can go away for the olympics (I do alot of work in london and dont wanna be working up there whilst that is on).

at the time it was a brilliant idea but the prices are stupid as its start of the kids 6weeks hols (a time i usually avoid) and any flights to the UK over that period have gone up due to the olympics.

Thinking of loading up the car, jumping on the ferry and driving to southern europe

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 11:17:37 am »
Something needs to be done I don't see how a family of 4 could afford to go on holiday without taking there kids out of school.

The hotels also seem to have bumped up there prices since last year too, can't see how pricing half of the uk s family's out of going to Spain on holiday is going to help Spain's economy

I'm planning to go to florida in October 2014 ( son will be eight) but for a virgin holiday a week before the October holidays it's around £700 per person a week later £1300 per person I have started saving for that holiday this year! I don't think I could justify taking him out of school for 2 weeks

« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 11:20:13 am by Baz300 »

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 11:19:30 am »
I've noticed things are more expensive this year too - we have a 3yr old which is going to cost me the same as adult at some places, last year we just paid for the flights - now when your talking £800-£1k for a week in the sun for a 3yr... i think not.

I'm cheaper paying adult prices for my son as some holiday companies will charge me an under occupancy fee if I book 1adult and 1child

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 05:45:02 pm »
You can go Dominican for 800 a person all inclusive at a 4 star. But boring there mind

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 10:07:52 am »
I used Jet2 holidays last year when I went to Ibiza and have used them again this year - 22kg baggage allowance, excellent flight times (afternoon / evening return) and plenty legroom on the slightly older 737's  :happy2:

Prices are good too!
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline Pashka

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 12:48:53 pm »
Use azuon program for cheap flights, booking.com for hotels.
06 1.9 TDI Owner. Retrofits: Bixenons, Drls, Full GT/GTI exterior, RNS510+MDI+Premium Bluetooth+RVC+OPS, Full Fis, MFSW, Cruise control, TPMS, Polar Fis, Boot pop up and more.. :)
Coding, diagnostic and retrofits in Leeds
Pre coded Can Gateways for battery drain issues with RNS510 and similar headunits
Premium Bluetooth modules/kit
RNS510 Service - codes, maps/firmware updates
Latest V8 West EU maps update service for RNS315

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 07:16:35 pm »
I've used teletextholidays.co.uk before, they sell holidays from a lot of the main agents, but a lot cheaper. Not used them for a couple of years so no idea what they are like now.

Offline DFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 07:29:15 pm »
Prices have gone up a fair bit for a couple of reasons.

1, additional flight duty since last year.
2, fuel prices have risen, as in I mean the operators are not taking hte hit any more.
3, and I think this is the biggest one, the euro is causing all kinds on merry hell out there. Spain to be fair isn't in a good way either, it's not at the same level as Greece but still in the smelly stuff.

Fish