Make a donation

Author Topic: Random question for y'all  (Read 1000 times)

Offline DarkSideJohn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Random question for y'all
« on: May 25, 2012, 03:56:08 pm »
Hey guys ,

Bit of a weird one for you all , got a strange noise coming from the front end , sounds like a high pitched squeak.
My first thought was brakes , but the front discs and pads are new on less than 2 months ago and done about 1k miles

My local mechanic thought it could be the alternator belt , had that replaced today to no effect.

Only seems to happen through a certain rev range 1700 - 2300 aprox , so it's more evident in 1st and sometimes in 2nd.

Got an appointment with VW tommorrow morning to investigate it , but they could come back with a huge lists and expensive too

Was just wondering if any of you had any ideas or at least a general direction to go towards.

John
'04 GT TDI 140 | Remapped | Cold Air Intake | WALK | TBE

Offline Aweful_Truth

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 9
Re: Random question for y'all
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 07:25:19 pm »
i had something that sounded similar, first thought it was the alternator so had that changed but to no avail, turned out it was the water pump, the car was due for a cam belt change anyway so had it sorted at the same time and it was gone  :happy2:
To Bad, So Sad, Bye Bye!

Offline DarkSideJohn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 07:36:05 pm »
Its really hard to get the sound to show itself
my mechanic basically scratched his head as cant get the sound to come on for long enough

Comes on , pretty much under the conditions of  :
Sat at a junction , 1st gear , pull away , as the revs rise to 1700 ish get a squeak , lasts about 2 seconds till about 2300 revs then its gone
No drop in performance , really bizarre , seems more evident when the engine is cold , when its up to temp its a bit better
But id rather get it fixed than leave it and let something go pop !

Offline Aweful_Truth

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 10:14:13 pm »
it sounds very similar to mine, except mine was more often than not, it was louder when cold but once warmed up was much quieter but still there, is it due a cam belt change?
To Bad, So Sad, Bye Bye!

Offline DarkSideJohn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 11:15:00 pm »
In regards to the cam belt change , it was "meant " to have had it done before I bought it , but it's not reflected in the service history , may get it done tommorow , even if it was done before I got it , just to be sure ! I hate not knowing , granted I know it's £419 at my local dealers , for the cambelt and water pump , a bit steep but it's starting to feel more worthwhile .
Might try and haggle on the price

Would they be able to tell if the cambelt is new by looking at it ? If that's the case I'll get it checked and just get the water pump done if that's the fix for the noise !

Offline nathangallo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 12:01:34 pm »
I had mine changed and i think it was the one from new as it is nothing in my book! But the thing looked new! So I doubt you could guess from just looking at it!