Make a donation

Author Topic: Standard GTI, no options...  (Read 3060 times)

Offline Dan.b

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Standard GTI, no options...
« on: May 22, 2012, 11:23:34 pm »
Hi guys.

I think I have found the golf for me. Purely down to cost as its an 07 reg with 41k for £7000.

The only thing is its a standard 3 door manual with no optional extras.

Am I missing out on any major goodies if I do go for this one?

Having a/c is the main thing I'm after coming from a civic type r without it lol.

Offline samdem

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Re: Standard GTI, no options...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 11:37:38 pm »
Hi there, firstly you will not regret getting a mk5 at all. i used to have a mk4 which i loved. coming to the mk5 just seemed like everything had been improved inside and out!
There is a massive list of optional extras, and their extras for a reason because not everyone wants them or wants to pay for them.

i didn't really look out for the opt extras when i got mine, but luckily enough it came with everything but xenons.

you have to ask yourself, will you regret not going for one with say, heated leather... or sunroof or winter pack etc?
There is a lot of threads on here about people wanting to retrofit the optional extras that it didn't have factory fitted, so you never know. i would normally say keep on searching because there is a lot on the market for decent money. but 41k for £7k is decent so it is a tough call...

see what others say to sway you!

Offline vaheedakhtar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 12:27:13 am »

Personally, i'd go for one that's either slightly older or slightly higher mileage and get one with options. My first mk 5 GTi, back in 2007 (06 model) was basic and I as much as i loved it, I got rid of it for something a little more 'luxurious'  (e90 330d) - I replaced said car with another GTi a couple of months back, but this one is pretty much fully loaded - and is just a nicer place to be this time around.

I picked mine up for 5.5k - which is peanuts for a car of this quality. Although it has 100k miles on the clock and a 55 plate - the leather seats, Auto changer, DSG box with paddles, MFSW, 10 speaker sound system and highlight computer make it a much better place to be. Exterior wise, this one is 3 door (last was 4) has the 18" momza's (last one had 17's) and has tastefully tinted windows all round - makes it look much better too.

I was going to push the budget to a ED30 - but for a few extra touches and a little more power - I thought the Standard GTi with a re-map would represent better value for money for me. I've just got a quote for a Cat back Miltek + Pipecross filter + and Revo stage 1 remap for £12500 all in - and am very tempted. If not, then will stick with the original idea of getting a Bluefin.

Offline Russ_leeds

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 12:44:20 am »
£12,500 just for those mods?
Black 2007 gti, 18' monza 2, sat-nav, highline, i-pod dock, armrest, 35mm H&R springs, WALK, BCS tbe, autotech front and rear arbs, ITG maxogen, NQSBBK... and more to come

Offline vaheedakhtar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 12:59:43 am »
£12,500 just for those mods?

sorry, I meant £1,200 !!!

Offline stu_no_1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 07:58:23 am »
Id say most options are fine to live without electric folding mirrors unless u have a garage I don't see why you would need them, mfsw just turn the knob on the radio, sunroof all gtis have climate control standard, sat nav you will want to buy the rns 510 anyway better than the one that came factory,parking sensors who really needs them in a hatch back mine are faulty so I just ignore them, heated leather is nice but cloth seats are still nice and the tartan is quite original like the old gti, winter pack headlamp washers are another thing to go wrong and heated cloth isn't really needed heated washer jets still freeze, Xenons really up to you how much you want them I didn't miss them on my gti and my r32 has them and I have a faulty level sensor that causes the lights to dip right down now , armrest I'd say this would be one I'd want I think it looks weird without it, 10 speaker system can't comment on the other one as my 2 cars I've had we're earlier models and came standard with 10, privacy glass if you really wanted you could tint them, dsg is good fun but manual is still nice to drive you may even prefer manual ,18" wheels lets face it you are probably gonna buy some after market bbs or summit, highline display can't say I've used it much get someone with vag com to change any settings to how you want them. I personally like to have as many options as possible to help resale value but could easily live with a standard car because the gti come fairly well speced standard, it's your decision at the end of the day just remember your getting it cheap so will the next person you sell it to.

Offline Dan.b

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 01:59:07 pm »
Thanks for the replays guys.

Think I'm gonna go for this one and add sat Nav and arm rest.

Offline E30Dom

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 04:56:34 pm »
My edition hasn't an arm rest or alot of options, but then it's lighter :)
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline Dan.b

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 11:36:11 pm »
Very true. Il have a lightweight version lol.

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 09:34:47 pm »
I wonder how rare a Mk5 GTI is with absolutely no options on it at all? There cant be many - in the EVO mag they were talking about the Porsche 911 and wondering if anyone actually orders one with zero options , and now this thread has me wondering the same about the GTI!
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline Deedub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 10:58:14 pm »
I Don't even know what counts as options on mine, i have a few obvious ones like leather interior (heated), 18 inch monza's. apart from that i don't know what else, i assume stuff like the auto headlights / washers + air con (climate control) is norm?

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 11:38:46 pm »
still always amazes me that the arm rest is an optional extra in a GTI, not much of a gran tourer if there's no arm rest  :fighting2:

Offline Black9

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 11:48:46 pm »
Personally I'd pay a bit more and get a higher specced car. Armrest is a nice option along with high line and xenons. A GTI will a high spec makes all the difference....

Offline Dan.b

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 11:57:15 pm »
I have been looking for a well spec'd one but they attract so much more money.

I can get and 07 plate with 41k for £7k then il stick and armrest and sat Nav in :-)

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 03:36:24 pm »
I Don't even know what counts as options on mine, i have a few obvious ones like leather interior (heated), 18 inch monza's. apart from that i don't know what else, i assume stuff like the auto headlights / washers + air con (climate control) is norm?

Your wheels and leather are both options , if youve got the central armrest then thats another one (if the original buyer specced the multichanger , then the armrest is added at the same time) , other options - 5 doors , Met. paint , Highline dash , Multi function Steering Wheel , DSG Gearbox , Sunroof , Xenon lights , Sat Nav. I'm sure there are also a couple of packs availible , one gives you  a dipping exterior door mirror (when reverse is selected) and puddle lights , and the Winter pack which heats the windscreen washer jets and seats (cloth- Leather seats have heated seats as part of the option). Oh and theres also the rear hatch badge mounted reversing camera , which I assume was only availible when you had already optioned the RNS 510 Sat Nav? (I cant see how it would display on the standard RCD 300.)
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)