Make a donation

Author Topic: Oh no some rust has appeared- warranty advice needed!!!  (Read 1261 times)

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
Oh no some rust has appeared- warranty advice needed!!!
« on: May 27, 2012, 08:58:31 pm »
What's the score with the corrosion warranty?, do you just go to your nearesr dealer and get them to assess it or do VW do it themselves? Just found some bubbling on the lower back passenger side panel at the weekend when giving the car a going over. Doesnt appear to have been any damage (if any its minute) and to me looks like it coming from the inside out, pics below. I assume they'll be ultra fussy are they? whats my chances of me getting anywhere????
Oh and its an 05 reg if that matters at all.

Close up.

Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline RobboGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
Re: Oh no some rust has appeared- warranty advice needed!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 10:00:18 pm »
I have various spots of rust like that also. I just feel like my chances are slim and they will think I am being fussy.

But if there is a chance I'd give it a go, would love to hear some success stories!

Offline B1NCC 1.8T

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 10:00:59 pm »
Take it to your local Vw dealer and they will asses the corrosion on the panel
But most likely they will refuse the claim
But you can only ask and try

20vt mk2 & GTI Edition30 no 0540

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 10:04:18 pm »
Most likely they will say its been a stonechip , you can but ask though.
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 10:05:18 pm »
if there's not been any paintwork done on the panel/any damage then it should be covered by the corrosion protection. they may try and refuse, but i'd take it all the way to VW UK if they did
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline suave

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 10:11:11 pm »
I had a similar mark but smaller than yours in roughly the same spot. Dealers here in NI paid 1/3 of the repair with VW UK and me paying the other 2/3.

They did try to convince me that mine was a stone chip too. Stick to your guns though.

Good luck

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 11:12:37 pm »
Has VW been using fords car building equipment from the 80s or something?

Thats the front arches, boot panels, sills and now where you have found rust too.

I did some research into golfs before buying one but didn't realise there was so many rust issue on a car that was first released in 2005! Even French cars from the mid 90s seem to be better built than this.

Offline Gazza747

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 12:56:40 pm »
Has VW been using fords car building equipment from the 80s or something?

Thats the front arches, boot panels, sills and now where you have found rust too.

I did some research into golfs before buying one but didn't realise there was so many rust issue on a car that was first released in 2005! Even French cars from the mid 90s seem to be better built than this.

Don't forget the rust on the window trims!
2013 Golf mk7 1.4 tsi SE DSG
2011 Golf mk6 2.0 tdi Match manual (sold)
2007 Golf mk5 GTi manual (sold)

Offline Meallbhan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 04:08:04 pm »
Looks dodgey.  I just had my 2 front wings done under warranty as the rust came from the inside.  There are two types of warranty I believe, 12 years for body work and 3 years for the paint.  I have the same little patches as you, just in front of the rear wheels, they are so small you hardly notice them.  I went in to enquire about a claim and VW they came back and said they would not repair it coz it was the galvanising at fault.  Ok, so thats not my problem if the galvanising is coming off.  Yes sir it is, coz thats covered in the paint work warranty which only lasts 3 years!  What a bunch of pr*cks!  Whats the difference, if it rusts it rusts!

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 07:31:23 pm »
Looks dodgey.  I just had my 2 front wings done under warranty as the rust came from the inside.  There are two types of warranty I believe, 12 years for body work and 3 years for the paint.  I have the same little patches as you, just in front of the rear wheels, they are so small you hardly notice them.  I went in to enquire about a claim and VW they came back and said they would not repair it coz it was the galvanising at fault.  Ok, so thats not my problem if the galvanising is coming off.  Yes sir it is, coz thats covered in the paint work warranty which only lasts 3 years!  What a bunch of pr*cks!  Whats the difference, if it rusts it rusts!

in all honesty with me if they'd said that to me i'd have called a solicitor in front of them. galvanising has NOTHING to do with paint and EVERYTHING to do with bodywork rust
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+