Make a donation

Author Topic: Diamond cut faces & Whiteworm  (Read 1824 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
Diamond cut faces & Whiteworm
« on: May 28, 2012, 09:38:14 am »
Gutted, after having my Monza Detroit/Huff refurbed as Monza Shadows they look like they are showing the first signs of whiteworm.

I only put them on in March so waited for the roads to improve and have not kerbed them (well I did catch the rear nearside tyre slightly but the wheel has no kerb rash so did not actually catch it).

I did not actually treat the wheels with wax and then PB wheel sealant before putting them on - would this have prevented the lacquer coming off completely or only given a degree of protection? Is a stone chip enough to start the whiteworm off?

Looks like will just be going for powdercoated next time (a la Red Robin) but really like the look of the Shadows  :sad1:
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Diamond cut faces & Whiteworm
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 09:50:53 am »
I'm afraid that it only takes a stone chip to break the seal of the clear lacquer and open the surface up for white worm to start. And unfortunately there's no cure to stop it spreading. It's a bummer.

I assume you are aware of my thread all about the subject.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline coolhandluke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 10:06:31 am »
Love the look of the diamond cut myself,but am to worried about the whiteworm returning.
Bit of a long shot I know,but we know the white worm occurs because the moisture gets under the lacquer,would there be any milage in not having any lacquer applied and just keep the diamond cut face well polished ?

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 10:13:41 am »
Where did you get then refurbed Berg??

I had mine done at a1 and it took just over a year to return but partly that was due to me not cleaning them properly at the beginning of the year.

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 10:42:30 am »
Where did you get then refurbed Berg??

I had mine done at a1 and it took just over a year to return but partly that was due to me not cleaning them properly at the beginning of the year.

I had them done at WRC near Preston, they have a good rep. Not sure if any mileage in saying "these have only lasted 3 months"

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 11:15:28 am »
Don't know why buy my 19" monza reps (Italian)
Never showed any white worm what so ever.
I had em on for 2yrs (I think) and they always stayed on even thru the snow.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 11:20:04 am »

Bit of a long shot I know,but we know the white worm occurs because the moisture gets under the lacquer,would there be any milage in not having any lacquer applied and just keep the diamond cut face well polished ?

....I like your lateral thinking! One assumes that BBS would have already considered this and that there are reasons for having the lacquer, but.

@ Monte:
Are your 19" reps lacquered?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 01:30:38 pm »

....I like your lateral thinking! One assumes that BBS would have already considered this and that there are reasons for having the lacquer, but.

@ Monte:
Are your 19" reps lacquered?

I would pressume so Robin, but on the few little chips I have on them you can't tell at all!!! (no peeling or cracking etc)
TBH they just look polished but I know they can't be.

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 03:24:09 pm »
Monte... you wheels will have faired better because they were done with another thousands sets at the same time, in a good controlled environment. WHen a wheel gets diamond cut my a refurb place, not many at all will offer any warranty. theres just too many variables and environmental changes. You need a production line style paint booth to get whiteworm to not show through.

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 03:33:14 pm »
Monte... you wheels will have faired better because they were done with another thousands sets at the same time, in a good controlled environment. WHen a wheel gets diamond cut my a refurb place, not many at all will offer any warranty. theres just too many variables and environmental changes. You need a production line style paint booth to get whiteworm to not show through.

Hi Jay, you can vouch for the quality of WRC's work as well. Bit gutted, but dont feel it is their fault, just wish I had understood the risk with them fully before and went down the RR powdercoated only route. I think I thought that as long as I dont kerb them they will be ok and have been very careful not to kerb them.