Make a donation

Author Topic: RNS 510 Outputs  (Read 8081 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
RNS 510 Outputs
« on: June 03, 2012, 03:03:29 pm »
ca someon advise. If you fit a reverse camera to the rns would you still be able to add rear screens? As i think they may use the some output?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: RNS 510 Outputs
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 03:04:29 pm »
No. I think I read about this and they use the same connection.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 04:37:25 pm »
Hi mate yes you can, but your right in it uses the same plug so you have to do some pin swapping to allow the camera in and the rear screen outputs to share the same plug, another problem you may encounter is the VW plug may be a different make of plug on the rear screen output unit you buy, so you may have difficulty in pushing in the pins into the empty plug holes
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 11:41:31 pm »
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 12:26:59 pm »
Johnny...

changing the pins on the video connector is much easier than any of the others....

you just push down on the pin and pull the wire out... i'll try and make a video later on and upload it somewhere just to show how easy it really is!

the rear screen/rear view camera connector share the same plug but seperate pins...

take a picture of the slot that camera pins come out of, take the pin out of the camera plug one at a time and insert it into the rear screen loom and that's all it'd take!

because both the looms will be plugging into the same connector block the pin pitch will be identical so the terminal wire size ought to be the same...

MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 01:40:52 pm »
OK - think changing/swapping pins is just way to much for me - I would not know where to start. What do you think to these, which do you think would work best for rear monitors?

The first one you list looks quite good, i got mine from here, annoyingly you now have to email them for a price....

http://naviservice.com.pl/?item=48&t=1338813320

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 12:09:11 pm »
I don't have any really issues getting pins out - moving them. My issue would be putting them into the correct slots  :rolleye:

If I was to do the simple swapping the pins - I would still need to get some sort of AV out put lead/cable for the monitors to plug into??

Would a seperate AV out module allow touch screen to be used in the rear? if I got touch screen monitors?

Si < how does your setup work? does every screen have to watch what is on the front?

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 12:32:19 pm »
i really wouldn't worry about where they go the RVC uses 5 pins thats it and as siad before a couple of pics or one by one and it will be easy.

as you probably already know the rns only inputs and outputs RGBs signals so to run composite video to the rear monitors yes you defo need the one of the things you have already posted or the one i posted.

there is NO touch screen available for the rear screens sorry

and your last point, i don't actually have the rear screens installed i just pre wired it all for future use, but the rear can play dvd video and audio with the right output module while the rest of the car enjoys what ever other source you wish to have at the front.

FYI if you ever install the VW TV unit this will NOT output from the 510 to rear screens only the DVD

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 12:38:03 pm »
 :happy2:

So you have brought and installed the module you posted? just not in use yet? may I ask what you paid for that one?

- Different module will give different outputs/function?
- The one you listed, this will give JUST DVD/TV output?
- I'm guessing I would also need a RCA splitter to connect two rears?

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 06:57:34 pm »
:happy2:

So you have brought and installed the module you posted? just not in use yet? may I ask what you paid for that one?

- Different module will give different outputs/function?
- The one you listed, this will give JUST DVD/TV output?
- I'm guessing I would also need a RCA splitter to connect two rears?

Hi Jonny

sorry for late reply, yes i have installed it mate for future use, cant remember exact cost as i bought other items but around 60 euro for unit 45 euro post ish

the only funtions of the unit should be composite video out from the dvd player of the 510 (1 or 2 outputs mine has 2) and L & R audio, all are phono connectors, thats it, its main fuction is only a siganl convertor between RGBs to composite video.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 10:57:32 pm »
Na its cool - appreciate the info. I have the newer RNS F or H version.

1 or 2 outputs < Are you refering to the head unit or the AV output box?

Looking at the one on your link - this has for connnectors, is this setup for two monitors?

Although not being used, I assume you have actually connnected a monitor to it?

Did you have to re-code to use this?

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 07:21:47 pm »
Na its cool - appreciate the info. I have the newer RNS F or H version.

1 or 2 outputs < Are you refering to the head unit or the AV output box?

Looking at the one on your link - this has for connnectors, is this setup for two monitors?

Although not being used, I assume you have actually connnected a monitor to it?

Did you have to re-code to use this?

Right you got me thinking the other day that i've never actually tried it to see if it works, well today i popped out and connected it to a small lg tv, was really f@@ked off to find nothing, so now i have to investigate further into why its not working, hopefully just a loose pin or supply problem.

just to answer your other questions , i have a version F used to have a B but sold it

also the output box has 2 composite video outputs from the unit i'm sure these are just doubled up inside and do not actually have 2 separate feeds, also there is left and right audio

i wouldn't worry about how many monitors it can feed at you can quite easily split a composite video signal to feed 2 monitors just like you can an audio signal, the loss would be so small you would notice no difference on small 7" monitors

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 07:28:22 pm »
OOooo sorry to hear this buddy - let me know how you get on.

Hopefully it is just a connection issue - or maybe a coding issue? everything you do on the RNS seems to require some coding/adjustments via VCDS to get it to work. Like adding a MFSW, Bluetooth etc - maybe you just need to activate it on VCDS.

Appreciate the info. buddy and let me know how you get on.

Assume you have just plugged this in the head unit and ran the AV cables under the carpet and up through the seats?

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 07:36:40 pm »
Unfortunately it doesn't require coding as such, although i could have swore i had an "activate AV out" function under media or video in settings on the version B i had??

the wires end under the seats i was not going to run through the seats unless i defo went ahead with installing the monitors, i did run 2 extra cables per side as well for power, just to give you an idea in case you forget :)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 08:23:19 pm »
2 extra cables (power) for what??

Yes I have seen the AV out option.

You have a reverse camera fitted as well - did they use the same input on the RNS? what did you do?

You will see my other post - having seroius power drain issues as well - if I add these on at the moment I doubt my car will even start lol