Make a donation

Author Topic: installing Parrot car kit  (Read 4950 times)

Offline Meallbhan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
installing Parrot car kit
« on: June 04, 2012, 07:30:09 pm »
Evening all,

I have just successfully updated my Parrot CK3100 for newer phones and now I'm ready to put it all in the car. 

I've done a few searches on here and found some of the answers I wanted, but also a few I didn't, so here's where I'd be grateful of some advice.

Where is the best place to stuff all the wires and box into the dash?  Behind the stereo, or to the left or right? There some amount of cables etc so maybe I could split it.

Which connector wire set do I need and from where?  I have the basic radio with 6 disc changer built into it, RCD310?  I have a 2005 GTI, I've found a couple of places that sell them online but I wasn't sure if they were the right ones.  I think its called an ISO connector.

Do I need to program the car to tell it there's a hands free kit there, like you would perhaps if you fitted cruise control or something else?

I fitted this on a previous car and took it out when I sold it but the Golf looks a bit more of a fiddle, any tips would be great.

Thanks in advance  :smiley:

Offline GLIDN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 19
Re: installing Parrot car kit
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 05:13:34 am »
You will have the RCD300 in your 2005 Golf,

Behind the Air control panel and under the ashtray will be where you want to put it.

Should you install it in our mk5's? Nah, honestly the are crap in comparison to the VW bluetooth units. I know I have two of these kit's laying in my garage.
One is mine and the other is a customers I swapped out only two weeks ago.

The biggest issue you will face is that you will have to buy the correct wiring harness, Worth almost as much as the bluetooth unit.

Offline Meallbhan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 08:11:07 pm »
Thanks for the pointers. 

It would be nice to have VW's own kit as you say it's better, I see no point buying another as I already have one that happy enough with, it will have to do for now.  The loom for my last car I got from Halfrauds but I found this one for the golf on amazon. 

Any good?  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoleads-SOT-976-Accessory-Interface-Volkswagen/dp/B002LYK11Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1338922997&sr=8-2

Offline Meallbhan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email

Offline GLIDN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 01:37:32 am »
neither loom appears to have all the correct wiring.

Will try and take a photo of mine and post it up for you.
However for the most part, those are the right connectors.

Are you going to use the parrot's calling menu buttons? Or will want to use your multifunction steering wheel buttons?

To be honest, most the kit appeared to work, only on the odd occasion I could not get it to connect to my Iphone/s or it would drop. But the only peeve I had was the no matter where I put the microphone, people kept complaining I was very Echo'y.

There is a post if you search for it, that you basically adapt the Genuine VW mic (£20ish) into the parrot loom, so the mic is hidden in the overhead light unit and has noise cancellation too.

Offline Meallbhan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 09:38:14 pm »
I fitted the kit today and it all seems to work.  The only thing I had to do to the wiring loom was on the Parrot loom and that was to swap the 12 volt permanent over with the 12 volt switched ignition.  The SOT 976 cable I got seemed to be the one for the job.

I'm not using the steering wheel buttons coz I don't have them so everything gets done through the Parrot conrol panel which I hid in the ashtray.

One thing I have noticed is that it doesn't sound as good as it did in my last car, its not quite as clear and the person whom you are speaking to sounds a bit muffled.  I can only think that this is to do with the stereo/speakers themslves, but no reported echo from the microphone.

I started the car up after it was all done and now I have an airbag fault and the light coming on in the dash.  Pain in the a*s!  I will see if my mate can clear it with his computer but he suggested disconnecting the battery overnight to clear it also, would that work?

Offline GLIDN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 12:12:13 am »
I fitted the kit today and it all seems to work.  The only thing I had to do to the wiring loom was on the Parrot loom and that was to swap the 12 volt permanent over with the 12 volt switched ignition.  The SOT 976 cable I got seemed to be the one for the job.

I'm not using the steering wheel buttons coz I don't have them so everything gets done through the Parrot conrol panel which I hid in the ashtray.

One thing I have noticed is that it doesn't sound as good as it did in my last car, its not quite as clear and the person whom you are speaking to sounds a bit muffled.  I can only think that this is to do with the stereo/speakers themslves, but no reported echo from the microphone.

I started the car up after it was all done and now I have an airbag fault and the light coming on in the dash.  Pain in the a*s!  I will see if my mate can clear it with his computer but he suggested disconnecting the battery overnight to clear it also, would that work?

Where did you find a switched power? or will it only work when key is turn just before being cranked to start the car?
The not sounding so good, will be down to the input for your Audio, not the radio or speakers themselves.

Have a look and make sure your Audio and ground are correct. connector 3 on the back of the radio, in some instances they need to be swapped around.

Lastly did you not wire the kit up to the Can Hi and Lo?

Offline Meallbhan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 09:18:41 pm »
I got the switched power from the fusebox, the right hand slot on the second bottom row.  The Parrot kit turns on with the dash lights and it turns off with the key and powers down as it should.

I'll have a wee check of the wiring and see if it makes any difference.  I'm not sure what you mean by can hi and low although there are canh and canl terminals on the back of the stereo.  I wired it directly to the cars loom that the stereo usually plugs into, the big square plug.