Make a donation

Author Topic: MK5 GT sport grill refurb?  (Read 999 times)

Offline ams_sxi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
MK5 GT sport grill refurb?
« on: June 06, 2012, 06:24:06 pm »
Got a gt sport grill but it has got scratches all over including on a few slats.

Just thinking if i should get it resprayed and if i do can you spray onto the slats?

Or wrap the grill, if there is anyone who will wrap it?

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 34
Re: MK5 GT sport grill refurb?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 06:26:42 pm »
i had mine sprayed all over in DBP whilst the car was in the body shop having its replacement bumper on after a bump...

if anything its easier for the body shop to spray the whole thing in one colour than leaving the slats out as its less masking!

wrapping the slats look like it'd be a right pain though...

how bad are the scratches?
MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline ams_sxi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 09:00:50 pm »
whats DBP?

i think i may get the whole grill resprayed, not sure what colour though its going on a black car.

There is one deep scratch above where the number plate sits, and a few surface scratches on the slats

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 09:34:37 pm »
Apologies, DBP is short for Diamond Black Pearl - thats my paint code - LC9Z, they matched the paint up to my car

if you look inside your service booklet you'll see a sticker with a load of weird numbers on it, somewhere there will be the paint code and as its black it'll be LC something something i THINK

that will help your body shop match the paint up better unless of course they've got their own system or whatever

i'm sure a respray would take care of that - if its a reputable body shop they'd remove the grill and spray it - otherwise, remove the grill for them and hand them it to paint!
MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline ams_sxi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 09:44:00 pm »
cheers, do you know how much it would be roughly to spray it?

I've just brought a new compressor so was thinking of having a go at it myself?