Make a donation

Author Topic: Front wing rust warranty success!!  (Read 340453 times)

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
Re: Front wing rust warranty success!!
« Reply #1125 on: January 12, 2016, 08:25:47 pm »
Ok, I've had time to read more of the thread so feel a bit more armed when I speak to the dealers and glad it's 12 years warranty.  :smiley:
Anyone had dealings with the JCB group of dealers in Kent on this issue?

Offline ocrory

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #1126 on: January 14, 2016, 09:35:06 am »
I thought the paint was only something like 3 years but there's a coorsion warranty of 12 years? I'm not 100% sure on that. Mine is going in for warranty work on the wings on Monday. They won't do my sills though as it's not the typical spots directly behind the wheel arch. Warranty guy claimed the bubbling is caused from people scuffing the sills as they get in and out...of all four F*****G doors which is ridiculous. Going to see how the wings go and decide what to do from there.

Offline gtivirgin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #1127 on: January 14, 2016, 12:01:06 pm »
My car is in with VW now getting cam belt done and minor service. Got some rust starting to show on one wing from the foam being damp and also got rust around boot badge. Had to remind them three times I wanted the rust inspected and had to remind when I dropped the car off as they didn't even mention it or ask what I wanted looking at so seems as if they are just trying to ignore it and see if I forget about it. Heard good things about the dealer but not convinced yet, we will see.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #1128 on: January 14, 2016, 12:44:22 pm »
Again, need a dealer someone's had success with in the Notts/South Yorks area please!!?

Offline Bracey

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #1129 on: January 21, 2016, 04:54:53 pm »

Brand new member here, picked up my Edition 30 from another forum member yesterday, so apologies for any repeated questions or comments but 76 pages is a lot to read through!!

Took my 07 plate Edition 30 to VW Guildford today who sent me to a paint shop round the corner. They took a paint depth reading of each front wing, both of which have some minor rust bubbles, and they said no straight away due to them having previous paint work (which I knew about.) Is this a complete dead end? Or have people had successes with previously painted wings?
Any advice would be much appreciated. Also if someone can email me the rust pdf that would be brilliant. robert_bracewell@hotmail.com

Cheers,

Rob.

Offline gtivirgin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #1130 on: January 22, 2016, 11:52:17 pm »
Sort of result. Had my wing approved and is booked in at a local body shop :pomppomp: but they have denied any claim on my boot handle rust  :sad1:

Their response when queried was basically that in the warranty guys opinion the damage was likely caused by keys or rings damaging the paint when opening the boot handle then rusted after (oddly specific I thought).

While I can see where they are coming from, it makes no real sense. Whenever I open the boot I use my thumb on the top of the badge to pivot then fingers underneath, never come close to touching the bodywork surrounding it. Only reason I don't feel like arguing is because I've not owned the car long and it has had 3 previous owners so no way I can argue they didn't cause the damage the way they claim (no matter how unlikely their theory is unless it was owned by a pikey with a taste for big rings). Even then the car has only done 60k so hardly been thoroughly used in it's time.

Anyone have a similar response or get any further with it? Feel good about the wing but kinda fobbed off by their view on the boot handle.

Offline Monza_GTI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #1131 on: January 23, 2016, 12:04:14 pm »
Sort of result. Had my wing approved and is booked in at a local body shop :pomppomp: but they have denied any claim on my boot handle rust  :sad1:

Their response when queried was basically that in the warranty guys opinion the damage was likely caused by keys or rings damaging the paint when opening the boot handle then rusted after (oddly specific I thought).

While I can see where they are coming from, it makes no real sense. Whenever I open the boot I use my thumb on the top of the badge to pivot then fingers underneath, never come close to touching the bodywork surrounding it. Only reason I don't feel like arguing is because I've not owned the car long and it has had 3 previous owners so no way I can argue they didn't cause the damage the way they claim (no matter how unlikely their theory is unless it was owned by a pikey with a taste for big rings). Even then the car has only done 60k so hardly been thoroughly used in it's time.

Anyone have a similar response or get any further with it? Feel good about the wing but kinda fobbed off by their view on the boot handle.

i was lucky enough in the garage i took my car to last year that i managed to get both wings replaced, new bootlid and rear badge all replaced on warranty.
the wings were approved immediately by the garage, but the bootlid needed to be reported back to vw uk.
and got a call from the garage about 2 hours later saying all approved.  vw uk offered only 50% but luckily for me other 50% the garage covered.
none of the excuses you were given.

as a lot of fellow members have found, different garages have different mentalities in how they deal with corrosion claims

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #1132 on: January 23, 2016, 12:05:38 pm »
Again, need a dealer someone's had success with in the Notts/South Yorks area please!!?
I'm going to keep bumping this til someone replies! Anyone?

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #1133 on: January 31, 2016, 04:00:37 pm »
Noticed rust or bubbling under my bootlid, but there's none on my wings that I can see.

What is the process, ring dealer, ask them about warranty, drop car off for inspection and get a courtesy car?

My local dealers are Harlow and Chelmsford. Anyone had any luck with either? My cars an 05, so should be within the 12 year warranty right? Anyone have the warranty?

Thanks!

Offline Bracey

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #1134 on: February 04, 2016, 12:05:23 pm »

Hoping someone can send me a copy of the rust PDF please? Was told no at my nearest main dealer due to previous paint work on the wing that was un-related to the rust. Anyone had any success with previously painted wings?

Cheers.

Offline Ditto

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #1135 on: February 05, 2016, 12:00:18 am »
@Bracey here's the bulletin http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5/rust_wing/2009Nov9CorrosionToGolkMk5FrontWing.pdf

You might struggle if it's been repainted. Dealer said the same when mine were being done. Did they measure the paint depth on both wings?

Offline Bracey

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #1136 on: February 05, 2016, 09:05:55 am »
@Bracey here's the bulletin http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5/rust_wing/2009Nov9CorrosionToGolkMk5FrontWing.pdf

You might struggle if it's been repainted. Dealer said the same when mine were being done. Did they measure the paint depth on both wings?

Thanks for that Ditto. They did measure the paint depth on both sides and both had been previously des prayed, which I knew about. It's a bit annoying as the re-spraying clearly has nothing to do with the rust, but I guess they will do whatever they can to get out of paying!! What did you end up doing with yours? I got a quote from VW anyway but it was £2000!

Offline gtivirgin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #1137 on: February 06, 2016, 01:31:22 pm »
Just got the car back from 3rd party body shop after VW approved place. They appear to have just repaired the wing instead of replace. The wing previously had a small dent which they appear to have half heartedly bashed out (can't really complain about that) and the corrosion appears to be sorted but the under side of the wing lip doesn't appear to be the neatest.

Is this normal practice to repair instead of replace? The rust wasn't noticeably breaking through the paint yet, was just bubbling under the paint about 5cm across the edge of the wing. I have rust on the boot and am going to pursue it further as they have initially refused the claim but body shop agreed their reasoning was poo.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #1138 on: February 15, 2016, 04:42:59 pm »
I think the docs state to replace if possible or replace.
For the cost of a wing I would want a new wing.

Offline fazi123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #1139 on: February 19, 2016, 12:40:36 pm »
I have an 06 gti which looks like it needs 2 new front wings. The bubbling is fairly minor, but its there.

I rang my local dealer and they said I should bring them the service book etc, but I'm worried they will turn me down as I dont have a full vw service history.

Can they do this as surely the rust on the front wings which is soo common has no relation to where I get my oil changed from?

Thanks,
Faz