Make a donation

Author Topic: Front wing rust warranty success!!  (Read 340452 times)

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 28
Re: Front wing rust warranty success!!
« Reply #1140 on: February 19, 2016, 04:15:38 pm »
I have an 06 gti which looks like it needs 2 new front wings. The bubbling is fairly minor, but its there.

I rang my local dealer and they said I should bring them the service book etc, but I'm worried they will turn me down as I dont have a full vw service history.

Can they do this as surely the rust on the front wings which is soo common has no relation to where I get my oil changed from?

Thanks,
Faz

Not related to service history. VW service history (or any for that matter) is not a prerequisite for a corrosion claim. The car has to have its original paint and not be damaged.
Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)

Offline Spooky211

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #1141 on: March 10, 2016, 12:03:35 pm »
The kind folks at VW Crow road in Glasgow recently replaced my rusting wings....only problem is they knackered the drivers door handle (which is now fixed) and now my Ipod docking station doesn't work. Pretty annoyed as there's no real way to prove it worked before it went in!

Offline CarlW

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 23
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92229.msg927100.html#msg927100
« Reply #1142 on: March 13, 2016, 12:04:46 am »
Daft and feel daft for asking this but has anyone got the customer services email address at all as i can't seem to find it anywhere when searching. I've looked and looked and i can feel it staring right at me and i'm just missing it...

Want to use email to contact them about my boot rust issue being denied with no valid reasoning.

Thanks,
Carl.

Offline jayha11

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,97064.0.html
« Reply #1143 on: March 21, 2016, 09:41:00 am »
I've just booked mine in for Sat 02nd April at Listers VW Coventry. Guy reminded me to take my service book along with me, not sure why that will be relevant to rust but it has full service history (Some independent) Will try my luck for the sills too whilst I am there having the NS wing inspected.
Mk5 GTI > S3 8P > Cupra 300 > Cupra 290 > Mk5 R32

Offline jayha11

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,97064.0.html
« Reply #1144 on: March 24, 2016, 09:04:08 am »
Didn't go so well at Listers. Turns out both front wings have previously been repaired/painted. The assessor suspects a previous owner paid privately when they started to see bubbling and rather than replace the wings simply flat back and repaint as the micron readings were near the 200 mark across main parts of the wing and as low as 130 on the lip. Bit disappointed but I will look to replace the wings myself once the coilovers are on and the stance is how I want. Good thing is if the wings need pulling a bit I can use the existing ones to experiment with before fitting the new ones.
Mk5 GTI > S3 8P > Cupra 300 > Cupra 290 > Mk5 R32

Offline amanda

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #1145 on: March 24, 2016, 01:25:24 pm »
Again, need a dealer someone's had success with in the Notts/South Yorks area please!!?
I'm going to keep bumping this til someone replies! Anyone?

Best go to mine......bit of hassle but you know they do it and they will give you a courtesy car for duration of repair

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #1146 on: March 24, 2016, 02:46:42 pm »
Might just have to if I don't have any luck closer to home!

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #1147 on: May 26, 2016, 03:24:40 pm »
Just booked for someone to come and have a look at the wings. One of my wings has been keyed, that wont affect the outcome will it?

It would be a real bonus if they respray the wing and thus the key gets removed  :smiley:

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #1148 on: May 26, 2016, 04:30:47 pm »
Aparrently I have to go to them for the inspection? As in my local VW is Harlow, but they're saying I have to go to the Loughton branch which is quite far from me. They are Lancaster VW, does this have anything to do it with it??

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #1149 on: May 26, 2016, 05:20:45 pm »
Finally got around to trying to get mine looked at, saw the link to the VW site recommended paint shops on another thread earlier.
Found my local one and gave them a bell and asked how to go about getting it checked.
Initial comment over the phone was that it had more than likely been resprayed by now .......
that pissed me off to start with. Anyhow they took some details and I can pop in and they'll have a look.
I asked if I need to contact VW direct or the Main Dealer beforehand but they said no just call in.
Does that sound right to those who've had success with a claim?

I might try and pop up there tomorrow or Tuesday if anyone can advise if this is how the warranty claims are done that would be great cheers.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #1150 on: May 26, 2016, 06:46:31 pm »
Aparrently I have to go to them for the inspection? As in my local VW is Harlow, but they're saying I have to go to the Loughton branch which is quite far from me. They are Lancaster VW, does this have anything to do it with it??
I initially asked about getting my wings inspected at my local VW - JCT600 Rotherham. They told me to go to JCT600 Hillsborough instead, as Rotherham don't have a bodyshop.

Long story short, went to Hillsborough, wings inspected with micrometer, given a verbal ok on the spot. Phoned them a few weeks later to check and it was all in place, booked in for the end of June.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #1151 on: May 26, 2016, 06:48:13 pm »
Finally got around to trying to get mine looked at, saw the link to the VW site recommended paint shops on another thread earlier.
Found my local one and gave them a bell and asked how to go about getting it checked.
Initial comment over the phone was that it had more than likely been resprayed by now .......
that pissed me off to start with. Anyhow they took some details and I can pop in and they'll have a look.
I asked if I need to contact VW direct or the Main Dealer beforehand but they said no just call in.

I might try and pop up there tomorrow or Tuesday if anyone can advise if this is how the warranty claims are done that would be great cheers.
Yes, that sounds right. In my experience the VW bodyshop check the car and then submit the claim to VW UK themselves. If all is well you won't have to deal directly with VW UK.

Offline Gary

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #1152 on: May 26, 2016, 06:58:51 pm »
Has anyone been offered a discount on having other paintwork carried out whilst the wings are replaced?

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #1153 on: May 26, 2016, 07:53:19 pm »

Cheers AJP

Yes, that sounds right. In my experience the VW bodyshop check the car and then submit the claim to VW UK themselves. If all is well you won't have to deal directly with VW UK.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #1154 on: May 27, 2016, 08:40:23 am »
@AJP  So I have to go to Loughton then?

Or could I do what Lewo is doing, find a closer VW approved body shop and go to them instead? @Lewo can you post the link please.