Make a donation

Author Topic: Front wing rust warranty success!!  (Read 349631 times)

Offline K1NGY14

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Re: Front wing rust warranty success!!
« Reply #1155 on: May 27, 2016, 10:09:08 am »
I went over to Lightcliffe VW in Liverpool and they couldn't of been more helpful.

I sent them a quick email regarding the situation with the wings and sills, I got a call back within 2 days asking me to come down.

Got to the dealership and the guy took some paint readings on my car, all checked out okay. He said that they'll change the wings and fix the sills all free of charge. The only part they won't cover is the blending of the paint, all of the readings were around the same number so I didn't mind about blending. (He even looked at my tailgate because he said they'd pay for that)

So currently my car is in the bodyshop and I should be getting it back this weekend, so I'm now driving around in a diesel polo :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #1157 on: June 17, 2016, 11:26:16 am »
I took mine in on Wednesday to have both front wings and rusty sills inspected and just got a response today saying it had been unsuccessful as it's considered an "edge and fold corrosion (0002) and not anti perforation warranty from the factory"

I have replied back with the TSB from VW for the rusty wings... not looking too hopeful so far  :sad1:

Offline ReflexRob

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #1158 on: June 17, 2016, 12:23:19 pm »
Does anyone know what paint depth these cars should be (silver if it makes any difference).

My local VW bodyshop reckon my wing has been painted before as it is reading 140 - 150 microns. I don't think it has - the finish is perfect, exactly matches the rest of the car, no masking lines, painted up inside etc.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #1159 on: June 29, 2016, 05:26:22 pm »
Just an update:

Got the car back from JCT600 Hillsborough today. Good colour match (Tornado Red), panel gaps all fine.

Pretty much spot on from the moment I approached them for the assessment, to today.

If you're in the area, I recommend them.

Offline Bracey

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #1160 on: July 04, 2016, 08:02:49 pm »
Got my car back from the VW body shop in Guildford today. Looks amazing, they did a fantastic job. Got both front wings replaced under warranty, despite them being already resprayed by previous owner and then paid for the bonnet to be done as that had also been resprayed and wasn't great. Just need to get the wheels refurbed now and then the car will be mint!

Offline unzippy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #1161 on: July 04, 2016, 08:50:20 pm »
despite them being already resprayed by previous owner

How did you manage that?

Or were they initially done at VW?

Offline ReflexRob

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #1162 on: July 04, 2016, 10:19:14 pm »
^ yeah i've been told to get lost because they 'think' my wing might have been resprayed!

Offline Bracey

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #1163 on: July 04, 2016, 11:20:48 pm »
It took quite a bit of negotiation and arguing with VW but essentially I had paperwork to prove that the wings had only been sprayed to blend them into the bonnet which had been sprayed due to being damaged. This is what the original owner told me and the paperwork backed it up. My point was that the rust present was so blatantly due to the inherent fault that VW have acknowledge, that the fact they had been sprayed before was irrelevant. It also helped that the rest of the car is in great condition.
I think if you can show that they have been sprayed for some reason other than to repair the rust then it is definitely worth a go.
Saying that, even if they had been repaired previously outside of the VW warranty process due to rust, then I would still expect VW to fix them as the only reason they have been sprayed is because of the fault caused by VW's design! It seems ridiculous to me that they would refuse fixing this problem that they are entirely responsible for purely because someone else has tried to fix it already. At the end of the day the problem exists and they are responsible for it.

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #1164 on: July 12, 2016, 04:07:50 pm »
I took mine in on Wednesday to have both front wings and rusty sills inspected and just got a response today saying it had been unsuccessful as it's considered an "edge and fold corrosion (0002) and not anti perforation warranty from the factory"

I have replied back with the TSB from VW for the rusty wings... not looking too hopeful so far  :sad1:

Got a phone call today to say that VW will replace both wings free of charge! I was a bit shocked. My advice, don't back down and use that TSB as evidence of the fault known.

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
« Reply #1165 on: July 12, 2016, 08:17:46 pm »
Both wings have been repaired on mine, as both sides had so minimal outer surface rust only ( i have seen pictures from the bodyshop after removal to confirm) but i am a little concerned incase the issue comes back. I have asked the question and i have been told that i only have 1 years warranty on the repair and thats it. Surely they should be guaranteeing the work for the remainder of the 12 year anti perforation guarantee? I can understand that the first year would be down to the bodyshop, but the rest down to vw.

Can anyone confirm for me please, before i escalate this to vw customer serv debt.
As expected, I have noticed some bubbling starting again on not just one wing, but on both, and both at exactly the same point. It is not on the outside (yet) but it under the wing on the folded back section right next to the screw fixing for the splash guard. Rang vw up, they have spoke to the body shop and have confirmed what I had expected. The work carried out was only guaranteed for 1 year, and that was up more than 6 months ago so will not take it and fix it properly.

I spoke with a manager who also agreed and said they cannot take the matter any further. I requested vw customer care phone number, but in my haste, I seem to have lost it. Does anyone have this to hand so I can try my luck before I shell out on two new wings and painting please?

Offline unzippy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #1166 on: July 13, 2016, 08:38:02 am »
vw customer care phone number

http://bfy.tw/6iih

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
« Reply #1167 on: July 13, 2016, 04:34:47 pm »
And there we have the very reason why a lot of folk stop using friendly forums. Too many smart sarcastic people.

There are other direct numbers to call, I was merely asking to see if anyone had them to hand.

Your input was greatly appreciated and I will remember to read all your posts and topics in future thanks

Offline unzippy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #1168 on: July 14, 2016, 11:11:53 pm »
No probs, happy to help.

I did find it strange that you managed to navigate to the forum and tap out two paragraphs, yet not manage "VW Customer Care" into Google.

Maybe it's just me :smiley:

Offline Bigjimknickers

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #1169 on: July 15, 2016, 07:19:08 am »
Took mine into Guildford sub contracted paint depot, he took readings, said one side was resprayed & won't cover it, said he'd let me know, that was well over a month ago.., :slap: :slap: