Make a donation

Author Topic: Front wing rust warranty success!!  (Read 349629 times)

Offline xs2man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 15
Re: Front wing rust warranty success!!
« Reply #1170 on: September 16, 2016, 08:20:29 am »
I took mine in on Wednesday to have both front wings and rusty sills inspected and just got a response today saying it had been unsuccessful as it's considered an "edge and fold corrosion (0002) and not anti perforation warranty from the factory"

I have replied back with the TSB from VW for the rusty wings... not looking too hopeful so far  :sad1:

Got a phone call today to say that VW will replace both wings free of charge! I was a bit shocked. My advice, don't back down and use that TSB as evidence of the fault known.

New to mk5 ownership, so don't know about this TSB?  What is it?  Can someone link me up?

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 35
« Reply #1171 on: September 16, 2016, 08:56:42 am »
Hi

@GTIEagles you should find these 2 links helpful: http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5/rust_wing/

and

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/fender-and-wheel-well-arch-rust-tsb-and-repair-on-vw/

They have the attachments mentioned in this thread. I hope that helps.

Stu
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline Tinytim

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #1172 on: September 17, 2016, 10:22:23 am »
Why did VW fit that foam piece under the arch? Is it better to remove it?

Did they change the design on the MK6 and MK7?

I took the wheel arch lining out last week and the foam was wet which is not surprising.  Just can't get my head around why they have foam pressing against steel.

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 41
« Reply #1173 on: September 18, 2016, 08:48:13 pm »
Has anyone tried this with Nottingham VW (we have two VW dealerships)?

My cousin ( @FaisalGti ) has just purchased a DSG GTI and one of the front wings has started to bubble. Is that enough to ask VW to repair/replace? Or do they actually need to see rust?

My wings seem ok (one was replaced a couple of years ago anyway), but my sills have started to rust. Would VW cover this also?

Any help would be appreciated. Is it best to email VW or call them? Not sure what to say or where to start from as afraid they might try to fob off and I'm not very persuading on the phone.
Previous motors (in order of succession since 1994):-

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
VW Corrado G60 Supercharged
Volvo C70 2.0 Turbo Convertible
Audi TT MK1 1.8T quattro (225)
Mercedes CLS 320 V6
Audi TT MK1 3.2 V6 Quattro
Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Quattro
VW Golf MK5 GTi 2.0 Turbo

Offline majillionaire

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #1174 on: September 21, 2016, 07:53:48 pm »
Not in Nottingham, but VW is covering my wings 100% and they only have small spots of bubbling, no rust yet.

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #1175 on: October 03, 2016, 09:46:01 pm »
So I sent the below email to my local VW dealership and they responded back today and asked us to pop in for an inspection. Will keep you guys updated on any progress.

For anyone else interested from Nottingham, it is the dealership in West Bridgford and not Arnold (Arnold do not have a bodyshop).

Anyway here is the email I sent them:-

Anti-Corrosion Warranty MK5 Golf
RH
Rashad Habib
  Reply|
Tue 27/09, 19:42
customerservices@vertuvolkswagen.com

2009Nov9CorrosionToGolkMk5FrontWing.pdf
1000 KB

4 attachments (5 MB)  Download all  Save all to OneDrive - Personal

Dear Sir / Madam,

We have two MK5 Golf's that appear to have developed some rust in known/problematic areas, namely the wing/wheel arch area and the door sill. We have attached some pictures for your use.

After some research, it appears that VW are aware of this issue and have issued a guidance note (again attached for your reference). After speaking to some other Golf owners, it transpires that they have managed to secure a replacement/repair via their local VW dealerships (namely in Leicester and Sheffield - additional details can be provided upon request).

I am hopeful that you can at least inspect the vehicles, and if indeed the corrosion/rust is found to be a manufacturer's fault, then a repair/replacement offer be issued. We would like our local dealership to carry out any inspections/repairs and not for us to travel out of town for the same/similar service.

I have owned the vehicle since March 2015 and have had regular service intervals carried out by your dealership, along with additional works on the cambelt and water pump. I intend to continue using your dealership for all future services/repairs as necessary, as I intend to keep the car long-term. You may verify these details by checking the car registration details below, alongside my personal details.

The secondary vehicle has been purchased very recently, and again we are intending to use your dealership for regular service intervals and/or other repairs as necessary.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you require any additional details.

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
Mercedes CLS 320 V6

Offline majillionaire

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #1176 on: October 05, 2016, 05:29:09 pm »
Got mine back from Agnew's Belfast last week. No messing about from them; did their paint depth tests, got a call after a day or two saying VW would cover it 100%. They had the car 3 days, no courtesy car, but the paint job is perfect, no difference in colour from the rest of the body or bonnet. Like I said, mine were just starting to bubble under the paint, no visible rust, but I only bought the car 3 months ago and didn't want it getting any worse.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

Offline leebes

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
  • When's the next track day?
  • My Ride: 2007 Mk5 Gti (Reflex Silver)
« Reply #1177 on: October 05, 2016, 08:57:58 pm »

My cousin ( @FaisalGti ) has just purchased a DSG GTI and one of the front wings has started to bubble. Is that enough to ask VW to repair/replace? Or do they actually need to see rust?

My wings seem ok (one was replaced a couple of years ago anyway), but my sills have started to rust. Would VW cover this also?

Any help would be appreciated. Is it best to email VW or call them? Not sure what to say or where to start from as afraid they might try to fob off and I'm not very persuading on the phone.

Had my o/s front wing done at Vertu Mansfield. The communication at the branch was shocking, but they did a good job on the repair which is the important part.

Definitely call them! I sent 2 emails and never got a reply. I was calling them before the bodyshop had their own receptionist, so either the phone rang out or I didn't get a reply to my voicemail. They have a receptionist now, so is much better apparently.

My wing was just bubbled. Its better like that rather than showing rust because they cannot claim 'external influence' to the damage if the paint is not broken.The wings are a known fault in the paint and prep work by VW, so they don't argue too much from what I heard and didn't on mine.

Offline Lucastheone92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #1178 on: October 05, 2016, 09:38:50 pm »
Where abouts is the rust supposed to be in the arch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #1179 on: October 06, 2016, 10:09:17 am »

Had my o/s front wing done at Vertu Mansfield. The communication at the branch was shocking, but they did a good job on the repair which is the important part.

Definitely call them! I sent 2 emails and never got a reply. I was calling them before the bodyshop had their own receptionist, so either the phone rang out or I didn't get a reply to my voicemail. They have a receptionist now, so is much better apparently.

My wing was just bubbled. Its better like that rather than showing rust because they cannot claim 'external influence' to the damage if the paint is not broken.The wings are a known fault in the paint and prep work by VW, so they don't argue too much from what I heard and didn't on mine.

To be honest, the West Bridgford branch has been OK so far. They responded fairly quickly to my email and called us in. We went in the other day and they did their tests and took our details. They said they'd call us back if it is approved.

However, the chap did mention that they have loads of Golf's come in recently for the exact same issue and they are fully aware of it, so there is a waiting list.

We are prepared to wait, as they have seen it in the bubbling condition and took photos etc.

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
Mercedes CLS 320 V6

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #1180 on: October 06, 2016, 10:10:03 am »
Where abouts is the rust supposed to be in the arch?

It usually starts underneath the arch (above the wheel).

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
Mercedes CLS 320 V6

Offline SKULLZY

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #1181 on: October 07, 2016, 12:07:31 pm »
Anyone know how long the corrosion warranty is? I got a 55 plate.

Offline 993BOY

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #1182 on: October 07, 2016, 02:51:23 pm »

Think it is 10years

Offline SKULLZY

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #1183 on: October 07, 2016, 02:55:53 pm »

Think it is 10years

VW have just told me it's 12yrs.

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 38
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
« Reply #1184 on: October 07, 2016, 03:15:31 pm »
Yes 12 years.

As long as no bodywork/paint has been tampered with eg if you had an independent respray on a panel.
Stage "1.5" ED30 [330BHP] Rtech