Make a donation

Author Topic: Front wing rust warranty success!!  (Read 349542 times)

Offline Dave7692

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
Re: Front wing rust warranty success!!
« Reply #630 on: March 06, 2014, 11:22:45 am »
Keep us posted Dave7692...this is what happened to me...the dealer (in fact 2 dealers) did all of that prep and they referred a claim to VW saying they would do all they could...but VW came back with a 50% goodwill offer. They wouldn't budge, despite me escalating it to Director level at VW.
I am interested to know how you get on.

Yeah one thing he did mention to me is that VW take milage and age of the car into account, which mine is an 06 which means its one of the earlier MK5's but its only done 65k in that time and has been very well looked after.  If they come back with an offer like that I'd argue tooth and nail that I shouldn't have to pay that much for a widespread latent defect that occurs as a result of a design flaw on the cars.  You could understand the 50% offer if this was a highly isolated incident but given how common it is you'd think they'd have to be more lenient.

Gobytibbs

« Reply #631 on: March 06, 2014, 01:16:54 pm »
Just had the phone call, looking at (this is what I will have to pay in total with 50% goodwill) 331£ repaired or if they need replacing 387£. Better than I had expected.

I am thinking pay 50£ extra for brand new parts and request the old wings back as I can sell and try and recoup a little of the expenditure.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 05:07:53 pm by Gobytibbs »

Offline Dave7692

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #632 on: March 08, 2014, 12:25:53 pm »
Just went down and met one of the guys at Yeovil VW.

He looked all the way around the car and unfortunately it looks like my arch with the rust has been patched by the previous owner.  He showed me across the car that the paint depth device was reading between 135 and 145 across the whole car except that lower section of the arch which read between 200 and 220 which obviously points to a previous repair job.  He's said he'll send it off to VW but to not hold out much hope in terms of them being forthcoming to help me pay for any work.

I'm a bit disappointed but luckily through having both my GTI and R32 style bumpers sprayed and fitted I've got quite a good relationship with the local bodyshop so I might take it there and have it done, if its already been patched once theres not much point in letting VW rob me blind for the full cost.  Either that or I might look a little more into that company mentioned a couple of pages ago that provide pre-painted new wings which I should then be able to fit myself, might have to ask around for some photos of people who've used them just to check the quality/fit.

Offline DANBOY66

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,74301.0.html
« Reply #633 on: March 09, 2014, 05:55:39 am »
after finding the smallest piece of bubbling on my wing I have been to vw and they have offered me

75% on 2 new wings
I have to have the car serviced £149
I have to pay for blending both door bonnet and front bumper he would give me 50% off

total was around 900 quid actual price was about 2800

so off to my paint guy and he is doing front and rear bumpers 2 doors 2 wings and bonnet both side skirts and cills £650

so I am going to wait for better weather and book it in with him

dan..
Dan..

Seat Ibiza cupra 06 1.8T GTX2867R GEN2 track toy in the making
Passat TDI 170 DSG the Family mini cab

Offline chris s

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #634 on: March 24, 2014, 07:47:39 pm »
Well just been to my local vw dealer, benfield in Newcastle, where I was offered a 75% goodwill contribtion for 2 new front wings making my contribution £225.11 all in. Not the best outcome possible but better than I was expecting
Candy White Edition 30 DSG
Revo Stage 2+
ITG, BCS TBE, Autotech HPFP
WALK
R32 Brake upgrade
S3 IC upgrade

Offline skard

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #635 on: March 24, 2014, 09:11:29 pm »
Well just been to my local vw dealer, benfield in Newcastle, where I was offered a 75% goodwill contribtion for 2 new front wings making my contribution £225.11 all in. Not the best outcome possible but better than I was expecting

I was up there today, did you speak to Lee! Helpful chap he is.

I also paid a contribution for the wing just done, but the bodyshop damaged my side skirt in the process, so take pics before you put it in!
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline WHOZBOSS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #636 on: March 25, 2014, 11:19:58 pm »
Hey guys, I've got rust on both wings and beginning of rust just under the vw badge on the bootlid, will this all be under warranty?

Offline Garf

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
  • 2005 VW Golf GTi 5dr DSG
    • Email
« Reply #637 on: March 26, 2014, 08:31:54 am »
Great thread full of information.

Im going to head over to Alan Day VW (My car was bought from there and only ever serviced there every time) and get an inspection done on my 2005 GTi in Reflex Silver.

Does the colour difference vary depending on the Colour of the car?

Offline Jonneh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #638 on: March 26, 2014, 09:45:26 am »
Looks like i'm getting all of mine sorted - both front wings, didn't even really need to push that hard....

It must depend on the dealer! But I did buy mine from this dealer and also get an extended warranty. So it was their paint team that said the car was 'perfect' to me. And now I've got a rear rusty arch too which they supposedly sorted before I bought it. They're going to be getting the car back inserted somewhere very shortly.
Passat R36 - Corrado VR6 - Mk2 Golf GTI 8v

Offline TomKenn

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #639 on: June 08, 2014, 08:28:48 pm »
I had 2 new wings done under warranty last week and didn't have any trouble at all. The guy at Blackburn vw took readings on the 22nd of may, called me on the 24th to say vw have approved the new wings! Both of the wings have had paint in the past too! The paint reading was over 350 on one of the wings. Maybe he didn't tell vw that haha.

Edit: the car is an 05 with 90,000 miles
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 08:31:27 pm by TomKenn »

Offline !tf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
« Reply #640 on: June 09, 2014, 08:11:00 am »
I had 2 new wings done under warranty last week and didn't have any trouble at all. The guy at Blackburn vw took readings on the 22nd of may, called me on the 24th to say vw have approved the new wings! Both of the wings have had paint in the past too! The paint reading was over 350 on one of the wings. Maybe he didn't tell vw that haha.

He must not have! I had mine assessed on Friday and was out of the tolerance by about 15-20 in places and over a 100 in others and hes denied it.
2005 Tornado Red GTI. Pescaras, Eibach Sportlines, Kenwood DDX-4028bt, Galactic Empire tax disc holder.

"It never got weird enough for me."

Offline coolhandluke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
    • Email
« Reply #641 on: June 09, 2014, 10:09:03 am »

How can an 06 car with 65k get a different response/outcome from that of an 05 car with 95k??? :confused: .....com

Offline chris s

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #642 on: June 17, 2014, 04:01:54 pm »
Just managed to get a full refund for the 25% contribution I had to make .... Result!!!
Candy White Edition 30 DSG
Revo Stage 2+
ITG, BCS TBE, Autotech HPFP
WALK
R32 Brake upgrade
S3 IC upgrade

Offline leeandstaz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
    • Email
« Reply #643 on: June 17, 2014, 08:01:08 pm »
I am hoping to have my drivers side wing done as soon as i have the car on the road, Ive had it a couple of months and just doing some work on it before i put it on the road.
 I am just in the middle of having the rear axle powder coated and all new arms and bushes (Febi bilstein) Fitted, Along with all new brake pads and drilled grooved and vented discs. I am also fitting all new brake dust shields, 2 front arm lower rear mounts and rear lower engine mount stabilizer.
 Will also be fitting 2 new fog lights with new bulbs in the bumper, Its cost me a few quid up until now but once done should be a good car again.
 It has covered 120k but has full VW service history, And have bubbling/crusty patch on top center of the wing. Just wondering if this will be done through the VW panel warranty or will it be a contribution jobby?
  Cheers.

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #644 on: June 17, 2014, 09:04:27 pm »
I am hoping to have my drivers side wing done as soon as i have the car on the road, Ive had it a couple of months and just doing some work on it before i put it on the road.
 I am just in the middle of having the rear axle powder coated and all new arms and bushes (Febi bilstein) Fitted, Along with all new brake pads and drilled grooved and vented discs. I am also fitting all new brake dust shields, 2 front arm lower rear mounts and rear lower engine mount stabilizer.
 Will also be fitting 2 new fog lights with new bulbs in the bumper, Its cost me a few quid up until now but once done should be a good car again.
 It has covered 120k but has full VW service history, And have bubbling/crusty patch on top center of the wing. Just wondering if this will be done through the VW panel warranty or will it be a contribution jobby?
  Cheers.

Take it to your local dealer and ask them. They are the only ones who can give you a certain answer. It can be a bit of a lottery i'm afraid.
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition