Make a donation

Author Topic: Front wing rust warranty success!!  (Read 349544 times)

Offline AndyBrown

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
Re: Front wing rust warranty success!!
« Reply #645 on: September 14, 2014, 03:02:24 pm »
After reading a different thread and heard about this issue im glad I've discovered this.
My left wing has rust issues and slight bubbling, and also on the sills. It's quite rusty. Gum a ask them about it on Monday when I book in for them to diagnose that my car does have a mechatronic unit as the garage I bought it from are to scared to admit that's the problem!

Offline PT82

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #646 on: September 14, 2014, 08:23:42 pm »
Hi guys, could someone please email me the PDF attachment

Pt82boxer at gmail.com

Offline AndyBrown

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #647 on: September 14, 2014, 09:06:01 pm »
Should be there now mate.

Offline PT82

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #648 on: September 14, 2014, 09:42:52 pm »
Many thanks Andy. I do not have issues at the moment (although I have only had my car 4 days so need to check thoroughly) but this is good ammo should I need it.

Very impressed with the helpfulness of this forum so far!  :happy2:

Offline AndyBrown

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #649 on: September 14, 2014, 09:47:10 pm »
From what I can gather the issue was caused due to the foam/sponge thing for sound deadening, I seen a different thread earlier with how to sort it. Might even be on that PDF. I'd grt it checked if I were you, saves any future trouble.

Does anyone know what the crack is with this problem on the door sills as mine are rusty right below the wings.

Offline K9

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • VW LifeStyle
    • Email
« Reply #650 on: September 14, 2014, 09:50:15 pm »
From what I can gather the issue was caused due to the foam/sponge thing for sound deadening, I seen a different thread earlier with how to sort it. Might even be on that PDF. I'd grt it checked if I were you, saves any future trouble.

Does anyone know what the crack is with this problem on the door sills as mine are rusty right below the wings.
same as you m8!

Offline bbfb10

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 28
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,83664.0.html
« Reply #651 on: September 14, 2014, 09:54:12 pm »
If anyone has problems with the warranty, get in touch. I am happy to provide case details, contacts etc to those who need it from my claim.

Full VCDS Hex + Can.

Offline PT82

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #652 on: September 14, 2014, 10:00:45 pm »
From what I can gather the issue was caused due to the foam/sponge thing for sound deadening, I seen a different thread earlier with how to sort it. Might even be on that PDF. I'd grt it checked if I were you, saves any future

Will do buddy, I have a new cambelt, water pump and service booked in at AP Automotive in Telford on Friday so will get Ant to inspect and do the liner mod.

If anyone has problems with the warranty, get in touch. I am happy to provide case details, contacts etc to those who need it from my claim.

Very good of you, quoted this so I can find through my posts in future if needed.  :smiley:

Offline AndyBrown

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #653 on: September 14, 2014, 10:03:44 pm »

Not sure if you've already wrote your story but I'm not reading through 44 pages lol.
Would you mind explaining it please.

Offline K9

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • VW LifeStyle
    • Email
« Reply #654 on: September 14, 2014, 10:28:27 pm »
what about rust right under the wing? at the corner? warranty?

Offline bbfb10

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 28
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,83664.0.html
« Reply #655 on: September 15, 2014, 08:45:11 am »
For the benefit of certain people who cant be arsed to read through threads :signLOL:

I bought my 55 plate GTI in April, 3 previous owners, part VW history, part indy history. Managed to get a chunk of cash off the asking price for the rusty wings. Literally 3 days later took it to my local VW bodyshop (Parkway VW, Derby) and got the guy to take pics and do paint measurements etc. was told he would put the case to VW and get back to me. I told him l knew of the change of stance by VW and expected a 100% contribution.
Within 3 hours l had a phone call back from Parkway saying VW had offered 50% contribution, but he advised me to escalate the offer. I phoned VW customer care on 08000833914 and spoke to a guy called Arnie. Told him what l knew about others getting 100% contributions, told him l only ever had driven VW's (slight fib, but my last 3 cars have been Golfs) and that I expected better of VW and that they should honour their warranty conditions. Arnie said that he would escalate the case and that "Either James or Jane" would ring me back. My case number was: VW-2014/04-100524.
On 30/4/14 I had a call back advising me that my car was booked in at Parkway for both wings to be replaced on 19/5 with VW paying 100%.

Hope this helps.

Full VCDS Hex + Can.

Offline phatmuther

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #656 on: September 15, 2014, 10:01:35 pm »
Got mine done a few weeks back, but forgot to post!

Went done to Listers body shop in Coventry to get it checked. 20 mins to have a look round and take some readings, guy told me no problem, will be done free of charge. Went on to say its a big problem etc etc. Wouldn't do my rear badge rust though, only offered 50% towards it.

Booked in a few weeks later, dropped it off and got myself a badass Seat Mii  :laugh:  4 days later picked it up, job done!
Looks as if they were blended in as they don't look out of place.

Overall, good experience  :congrats:

Offline mk4gti-t

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #657 on: September 16, 2014, 06:19:40 pm »
Good result mate. Coventry is my nearest dealer with a body shop so I'll be giving them a call soon  :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #658 on: September 23, 2014, 04:45:06 pm »
Hi, I'm new here, but thought I'd add to this.

I picked up my 07 Edition 30 just over 2 weeks ago.  It's a black one and black paint + dark wheel arch meant I couldn't see any rust on the wings during the viewing.

However, after getting the car home, I jacked up the offside, removed the arch liner and low and behold, the paint is just starting to bulge on the arch lip, directly below the foam.   It's far from bad and I'd estimate it's 12-18 months away from spreading around to the front of the wings.  No sign of rust at all on the nearside.

Wanting to catch it early, I took it to Inchcape VW in Colchester last week. My car is FSH, standard and factory paint thickness (around 130 microns).   A few days later the car got booked into their body shop, no questions asked.  No contribution required from me. 

As the rusting is in it's very early stages, I've asked for a repair in preference to replacement because I don't want a paint mismatch.  The VW guy said it's up to the body shop to decide that.  If they can't guarantee the rust won't come back, they will replace the wing.  If it comes to that, I will happily stump up for the blending.   Whilst they're there and have the paint gun in their hand and all that.

Good luck people.   If your car is original and accident free, there is no reason why you shouldn't get 100% contribution, but in the first instance, don't go in there with a defensive attitude, especially if the dealer you choose doesn't know you or your car.  Play nice and you're more likely to get the result you're looking for  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline mk4gti-t

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #659 on: October 01, 2014, 07:52:59 pm »
Well I'm booked in to listers Coventry tomorrow for inspection. Wish me luck chaps :signLOL: