Make a donation

Author Topic: High Intensity Interval Training?  (Read 1776 times)

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
High Intensity Interval Training?
« on: June 07, 2012, 09:13:31 am »
Anyone using this method for maximum fat burning, and any recommendations for home workouts?

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
Re: High Intensity Interval Training?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 09:19:00 am »
Yes its good for burning fat but you also need to do resistance especially for the stomach area,

normal home routine - old school is the best imho

e.g. sit ups, pull ups,

If you want the best results use resistance first (push - pull) and then finish with resistance.

long slow cardio takes too long and is less efficient with science to prove it.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 09:31:04 am »
HIIT is the best form of cardiovascular work out. it's been proven in a few studies to raise your heart rate and basal metabolic rate for longer than regular cardio

basically any form of flat out exercise in a short burst followed by a rest period is HIIT

in this sense, resting means reducing your level of exercise, not stopping all together.

so going for 20 second sprints then 40 seconds of rest (i.e. jogging) multiple times is HIIT. me personally i do 5 rounds with a punch bag - 30 seconds flat out jab/cross and then 1 minute rest

punching with wrist weights would be a similar thing, stair climbs (running up stairs, walking down), running as mentioned above

ultimately however, weight loss is a combo of good diet and exercise - you need to be cutting out as much sugar and saturated fat as you can.

good luck  :happy2:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:33:00 am by sub39h »
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 10:03:29 am »
Most of my training involves high intensity workouts.  I prefer the high intensity circuit training personally, but i try and fit in some high intensity running intervals every now and then.  My main issue is overtraining ruins my knee.

I tend to split my training between a week of heavy weight/low repetition weight training sessions and then a week of HIIT circuits and Cardio work before starting again.  The trick is to vary the HIIT sessions to get a full spectrum of different exercises involved and your fitness and stamina will sky rocket.

We've been doing the Spartacus 300 session this week which, for want of a better word, is horrendous.    Doing it 3 times during the week with the days in between used for some cardio work or rest.

Once ther HIIT week is back around again, we will be doing extreme kettle bell training sessions.  Similar format as the spartacus with 60 seconds work of work, 15 seconds rest before next exercise but equally as howling.

so going for 20 second sprints then 40 seconds of rest (i.e. jogging) multiple times is HIIT. me personally i do 5 rounds with a punch bag - 30 seconds flat out jab/cross and then 1 minute rest

punching with wrist weights would be a similar thing, stair climbs (running up stairs, walking down), running as mentioned above

The lower the rest the better IMO.  It keep sthe heart rate slightly higher and is why HIIT sessions have such a big impact afterwards.  

As said above the spartacus and extreme kettle bell sessions last 60 seconds of each exercise with a 15 second rest in between.  Once you have done a full circuit you get a 2 minute rest before repeating  the cycle.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 10:13:15 am by Janner_Sy »

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 12:58:34 pm »
ultimately however, weight loss is a combo of good diet and exercise - you need to be cutting out as much sugar and saturated fat as you can.

good luck  :happy2:

I've been using myfitnesspal app since 27th April, and combined with regular visits to the gym I have gone from 105.5kg to 97.5kg, I have lost a lot of fat from problem areas including my belly, but I want to target fat loss without losing any lean muscle if possible, that's why I plan on starting HIIT!

Thanks for the input so far guys.  :happy2:

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 04:04:26 pm »
so could playing 5 a side be classed as HITT - as long as you sprinted as hard as you could for a few balls and then jogged round for the next few minutes trying to get possession/making a pass etc. followed by further sprints?
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 05:03:12 pm »
so could playing 5 a side be classed as HITT - as long as you sprinted as hard as you could for a few balls and then jogged round for the next few minutes trying to get possession/making a pass etc. followed by further sprints?

Definitley, one of the HIIT I have seen involves sprinting for 30 seconds, then walking for 30 seconds, 10 rounds of each and I was nearly ........  :sick:

Offline beetie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 34
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 06:07:40 pm »
BBC did a documentary about this sort of training around 4months ago. Might be worth looking for. Can't remember if it was a horizon programme.

R32UK

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 11:47:15 am »
all of the information above seems good... just try to mix it up and keep changing the routine every few of weeks  :happy2:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 12:32:08 pm »
Most of my training involves high intensity workouts.  I prefer the high intensity circuit training personally, but i try and fit in some high intensity running intervals every now and then.  My main issue is overtraining ruins my knee.

I tend to split my training between a week of heavy weight/low repetition weight training sessions and then a week of HIIT circuits and Cardio work before starting again.  The trick is to vary the HIIT sessions to get a full spectrum of different exercises involved and your fitness and stamina will sky rocket.

We've been doing the Spartacus 300 session this week which, for want of a better word, is horrendous.    Doing it 3 times during the week with the days in between used for some cardio work or rest.

Once ther HIIT week is back around again, we will be doing extreme kettle bell training sessions.  Similar format as the spartacus with 60 seconds work of work, 15 seconds rest before next exercise but equally as howling.

The lower the rest the better IMO.  It keep sthe heart rate slightly higher and is why HIIT sessions have such a big impact afterwards.  

As said above the spartacus and extreme kettle bell sessions last 60 seconds of each exercise with a 15 second rest in between.  Once you have done a full circuit you get a 2 minute rest before repeating  the cycle.

Doing phys Sy?  :confused:  trying to look extra "juicy" for the LEC's?  :P