Make a donation

Author Topic: Being followed by the boys in blue  (Read 7867 times)

Offline JackG

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
Re: Being followed by the boys in blue
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 04:07:31 pm »
I get it all the time in my area, I'm 21 and have 2008 ed30, I think it may just be that a golf gti is a pretty sought after car and they do get stolen alot, I suppose it can be good IE checking the cars not reported as stolen or it could be there bord and fancy nicking a golf driver  :signLOL:

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 04:26:00 pm »
Here we go again !

VW Golfs do not get stolen alot......
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 05:06:05 pm »
Here we go again !

http://m.mirror.co.uk/article?id=135380/
Suppose your right, there only 4th on the top ten list  :booty:

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 05:08:16 pm »
Here we go again !

really?

I know its a favourite getaway car for criminals, expecially 5 doors.

R32UK

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 05:15:42 pm »
I believe there was gang going round specifically targeting VW/Audi cars with RNS510 fitted in Yorkshire, cannot remember if it was Leeds/Bradford area

I think there maybe some truth in that..

As the detailer was cleaning my car on the drive, a police van pulled up and started questioning him about the car. They were specifically driving around and looking for cars they liked, to warn the owners and record where they are for future reference. This was about 2months ago.

I was pulled over 2 weeks ago on my way home around 11:30pm. Reason being it was late and I was driving a "little bit fast, but its ok no one was around"  :grin:.  One thing I will say is those 5series diesel bmw's are might fast  :scared:

I dont mind getting pulled if there are genuine reasons... but coppers doing it just to nit pick is not on.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 05:27:48 pm »
I believe there was gang going round specifically targeting VW/Audi cars with RNS510 fitted in Yorkshire, cannot remember if it was Leeds/Bradford area

I think there maybe some truth in that..

As the detailer was cleaning my car on the drive, a police van pulled up and started questioning him about the car. They were specifically driving around and looking for cars they liked, to warn the owners and record where they are for future reference. This was about 2months ago.

I was pulled over 2 weeks ago on my way home around 11:30pm. Reason being it was late and I was driving a "little bit fast, but its ok no one was around"  :grin:.  One thing I will say is those 5series diesel bmw's are might fast  :scared:

I dont mind getting pulled if there are genuine reasons... but coppers doing it just to nit pick is not on.

They were just stealing the RNS510's, the car was left behind, it was an easy £350-400 for 5 mins theivin  :fighting:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

R32UK

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 05:34:28 pm »

They were just stealing the RNS510's, the car was left behind, it was an easy £350-400 for 5 mins theivin  :fighting:

Ah.. this was specifically for cars. Although my mates sat nav was stolen from his RS4 a couple of months back. First day he bought it  :surprised:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 05:39:02 pm »
I'd wager 50% of Recaro interiors are from stolen cars too. When rare and high value items are being fought over by enthusiasts, and when there's a very easy and pretty much anonymous way of selling - there's suddenly a lot of value in getting some smack head to stove a door in for some keys..
Sideways yo!

Offline Moz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 06:15:07 pm »
Aren't GTIs still one of the most stolen cars in Manchester/Yorkshire?

Extra attention is to be expected.

Yup, I live in Manchester often see myself getting checked out by local lads and police. I have copies of everything in glove box along with my work I'd, had to chat to many police where I live about my car.

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2012, 09:56:56 am »
Aren't GTIs still one of the most stolen cars in Manchester/Yorkshire?

Extra attention is to be expected.

Yup, I live in Manchester often see myself getting checked out by local lads and police. I have copies of everything in glove box along with my work I'd, had to chat to many police where I live about my car.
.............all you'r details will flash up on the Police National Computer any way,no need for copies.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 11:19:30 am »
Here we go again !

http://m.mirror.co.uk/article?id=135380/
Suppose your right, there only 4th on the top ten list  :booty:

Can't see your link..... What stats fail to show is how they are calculated. Most stats are able to say what you want them to say. For example if every car on the road was a Ford Mondeo guess what the most stolen can would be ! With VW Golfs they do not shiow what models are stolen . Now we all know that car security has improved greatly over the last few years. VW's are made very well and alot of older versions are still out there modified etc. These are the Golfs that are stolen and generaly for the parts to be stripped. New versions of the Golf are rarely stolen.  :innocent:

Offline Moz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2012, 11:33:55 am »
Here we go again !

Have any stats to back that up?

I work for an insurance company and they are in our top 6 cars stolen in the UK.....

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 12:21:27 pm »
Most cars registered in the UK ? Where does the VW Golf come ? If they were all stolen equally they would appear in the top ten too ? Simple answer . I have the stats to prove.You obviously have too. These are not available to the public....Where does the VW Golf come in the amount of cars on the road ? and then Mr Insurance man look at what years of VW's are stolen , very few newer ones ? Yes ? and if they are so sought after why have i just paid £184.44 for fully comprehensive for my Ed30 ? Insurance companies do not miss a trick to sting the customer.... EVER . I work for some too . Just look at the numbers of them on the road ....For example i was in a queue of traffic the other day and there were six cars in a row out of 7 that were Golfs . None of them were a GTI's either . Now if we were on a MK1 /2/3 GTI forum there would be another argument
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 12:33:39 pm by garrardrj »

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2012, 12:40:13 pm »
I got followed (nearly) home about a year ago in my Mk4 Golf by the police. I had a chip on my shoulders (for some reason I can't remember) at the time so I pulled into the road to my house, got out the car and walked back to the door of the police car (that had pulled in behind me). He wound down his window and I had the surreal priviledge of questioning them. Turns out I'd passed them earlier in the night and had shown 'significant interest in their car' (an Astra Panda car) so they decided to follow me 'just incase'.  :stupid: They wouldn't tell me why they were going to stop me, I sorta had them on the back food by stopping first and asking the question.  :laugh:

Think that was the last time I've been stopped, been behaving myself recently.  :wink:

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2012, 05:01:09 pm »
I get followed on a regular basis, as a 39 year old father of 2 I wouldn't expect it it, however I am glad for the interest because one day they may be following a barryboy who has stolen my car!

Yeah, that's a good point, it just makes me feel uneasy that my car generates interest in that sort of way. May be a should stop next time and have a chat with them!

When I was in my 20's I had a 4wd Sapphire Cosworth, now I was expecting attention but not to the level I received, practically every day I had a shadow, until one night I was blue lighted, the car was literally rummaged on the road side and I was thinking an anal search was coming my way!!!  :surprised:

It turned out that the guy I brought the car from was a notorious drug dealer in the area - hence the unwanted attention!!!  :sick:

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html