Make a donation

Author Topic: The key to performance motoring is....  (Read 6126 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
The key to performance motoring is....
« on: June 07, 2012, 01:14:36 pm »
brakes and suspension. Discuss. (If only this was a real essay question on my A Levels  :pomppomp:)

I remember reading this in an article about tuning Peugeot 205's years ago. Certainly, if you take a Golf with the ultimate brake upgrade and ultimate suspension upgrades but dont map it or add any performance bolt on upgrades I guess you would still have a very good car capable of surprising a few cars as would be able to brake later into the bends and corner round them very well too. 

Or would you say tyres and traction are more important ie the very best tyres couple with transmission mods?

Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline RENNTAG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 23
  • Premium Performance Parts
    • Email
Re: The key to performance motoring is....
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 01:20:33 pm »
I agree that improving handling can go a long way towards improvingt the overall performance of a car. no point having extra power if the chasis cant handle it.

I think having the right set of tires can also be a big upgrade in terms of handling, no point spending a fortune on suspension mods if the bit which actually controls where the car is going has no grip.

Offline scopes

• Thank You
  • -Given: 131
  • -Receive: 115
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49748.0.html
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 02:21:00 pm »
x2

I have to agree in the tyre issue, good tyres make alot of difference.
But then you need good brakes to Halt...
And then suspension to push both brakes & tyres.

So a bit mixed.
If it's not broke, Mod it.....

Silver is the way !

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 02:38:34 pm »
On most tracks, maps are pointless, chassis way more important IMO
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 02:43:49 pm »
Chapman theory, add lightness.

You're right though, throwing power at a car to make it faster around a track is attacking a problem from the wrong end.
Sideways yo!

Saintsteve

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 02:49:44 pm »
I think VW's own stock suspension setup is good enough personally
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 03:19:08 pm by Saintsteve »

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 02:52:34 pm »
I think VW's own stock suspension is good enough personally..

I thought you were buying some Eibach springs.  :confused:

Agree with what has been said. Lighter, Suspenders and Brakes ftw. :happy2:

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 02:56:27 pm »
depends what your using car for steve, but if its mapped then i assume you want to go quicker and stock suspension is not very good at that

Saintsteve

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 03:00:19 pm »
depends what your using car for steve, but if its mapped then i assume you want to go quicker and stock suspension is not very good at that

My car is for the public roads .. I would think generally if you track your car once or twice a year, I wouldn't want to drive around in a cart horse for those rare occasions the car may visit a track. Only people that use their GTi as a track day only car, would make sense to play with VW's own calculations they made in the 1st place. etto

Saintsteve

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 03:02:28 pm »

I thought you were buying some Eibach springs.  :confused:

Only for looks Ian .. Not interested in hitting the bends faster  :innocent:

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 03:03:31 pm »

My car is for the public roads .. I would think generally if you track your car once or twice a year, I wouldn't want to drive around in a cart horse for those rare occasions the car may visit a track. Only people that use their GTi as a track day only car, would make sense to play with VW's own calculations they made in the 1st place. etto
i agree if its for the road, but again if its mapped then vw's calculations have been thrown out of window anyway.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 03:04:56 pm »

i agree if its for the road, but again if its mapped then vw's calculations have been thrown out of window anyway.

:grin:  :congrats:

Saintsteve

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 03:06:41 pm »

:grin:  :congrats:
Oh really, so why have they made a mk6 GTi with more horsepower with the same suspension setup then  :booty:

A car may be made to go faster in a straight line for the public highways, doesn't mean the suspension is then hopeless. (which it isn't)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 03:09:18 pm by Saintsteve »

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 03:14:59 pm »
were going off topic, suppose it depends how you define performance motoring, racing st's up a slip road or actually driving fast, if its the latter then you will want decent suspension and brakes otherwise you will be getting mullered by saxos :signLOL:

Saintsteve

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 03:16:20 pm »
were going off topic, suppose it depends how you define performance motoring, racing st's up a slip road or actually driving fast, if its the latter then you will want decent suspension and brakes otherwise you will be getting mullered by saxos :signLOL:

:drinking: