Make a donation

Author Topic: Hard or Soft Wax? - Dodo Juice  (Read 4132 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
Hard or Soft Wax? - Dodo Juice
« on: June 07, 2012, 04:53:22 pm »
Looking for new wax for black car I see Dodo Juice do a hard and soft wax.

are there any obvious benefits of one over the other or is it merely a case of persoanl preference or how you wish to apply the wax?

I have no machine polisher so will be done by hand if this means i should favour one over the other?

ta
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline higher1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Re: Hard or Soft Wax? - Dodo Juice
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 05:53:40 pm »
I to have a black car and use dodo juice purple haze which is a soft wax the end result is awesome im very pleased with the product
Ah-exclusive custom ultra low H&R Coilovers 110mm, ITG induction kit, 18" super RS's, USA rear bumper, USA front grille with smooth number plate surround,recaro bucket seats. now sold !

mk1 golf 1.8 20v turbo

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 06:01:20 pm »
I to have a black car and use dodo juice purple haze which is a soft wax the end result is awesome im very pleased with the product

If you're applying it by hand, what do you use, and also what do you use to buff it up?  :confused:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Saintsteve

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 06:12:58 pm »

If you're applying it by hand, what do you use, and also what do you use to buff it up?  :confused:

Are you not going to David proctors now?

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 06:18:13 pm »
Purple haze is good but if you can stretch to supernatural you wont be disappointed. Looks almost as good as my £2400 pot of Zymol Vintage.

Apply it with a little foam pad... http://www.shinearama.co.uk/product.php?id=SHI-FOAMAPP-5

....and buff with a clean MF towel http://www.shinearama.co.uk/product.php?id=MEG-X2020

Or I highly recommend Blackfire paint sealant. Its excellent and easier to apply and remove and looks excellent. Apply and remove with the same pad and towels as above. http://www.shinearama.co.uk/product.php?id=BLA-BF-300

Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 06:39:14 pm »

If you're applying it by hand, what do you use, and also what do you use to buff it up?  :confused:

Are you not going to David proctors now?

I am going to Dave's, but I need to set a new date with him.
This is just homework on how to maintain his initial detail  :drool:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 07:00:56 pm »
If you are a novice to waxing and will be applying by hand start with the soft stuff for an easier life. Main thing is to not apply too much, make sure it's applied evenly and finally don't let it haze for too long otherwise you'll have a job on buffing it off by hand  :laugh:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 08:35:45 pm »
Hard/soft depends on your own preferences but always apply very thinly. You should barely detect that it'a there.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Alzak

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 08:52:58 pm »
Get Yourself a supernatural from Dodo great all round wax

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 10:04:43 pm »
cool, will try the soft one and look at supernatural?
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline higher1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 01:06:19 pm »

i apply by hand with a micro fibre cloth and buff off with a micro fibre cloth i also use poor boys black hole glaze before applying the wax im very pleased with the end results
Ah-exclusive custom ultra low H&R Coilovers 110mm, ITG induction kit, 18" super RS's, USA rear bumper, USA front grille with smooth number plate surround,recaro bucket seats. now sold !

mk1 golf 1.8 20v turbo

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 04:39:50 pm »

i apply by hand with a micro fibre cloth and buff off with a micro fibre cloth i also use poor boys black hole glaze before applying the wax im very pleased with the end results

How long does it take?  :surprised:

Offline higher1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 04:48:24 pm »
Not long i wash the car dry it then start polishing its all done in a few hours including dressing the plastic bits/tyres etc and hoovering

mk1 golf 1.8 20v turbo

Offline essoman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 08:38:20 pm »
Purple haze,the soft wax is better suited to use during the summer months and the blue velvet,the hard wax is more durable and therefore more suited as a winter use coat.

I have used both on my Black pearl and have been mightly impressed.The purple haze certainly goes on easier and would echo what others have said re less is more.

not tried the supernatural but may give it go.

Offline SimonBash

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 11:34:45 am »
What ever you do, do not apply wax with a machine polisher!

Despite some common misconceptions, wax adds very little if anything to the finish, it is merely protection. All the results are achieved in the prep.

I personally like dodo waxes, specially rainforest rub as it is very easy to apply and remove, durability is fine. However for as good results and better protection I would go for a spray sealant like Auto Finesse Tough Coat. Really easy to apply/remove and it can be layered much quicker than waxes.

I have had various Swissvax and Zymol waxes in my collection but now use Tough Coat almost exclusively.