Make a donation

Author Topic: Laser Eye Surgery  (Read 2185 times)

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 12
Laser Eye Surgery
« on: June 08, 2012, 10:27:22 am »
I am currently short sighted and I wear glasses for driving, watching TV etc.

I have been thinking about getting laser surgery to correct this and was just wondering if anyone had past experiences, recommendations of places, costs, etc?

Offline Black9

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
Re: Laser Eye Surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 11:36:55 am »
Was also thinking of getting this done, results are meant to be good. Can suffer for dry eye irritation art tho. Have a search online. Lots of info covering it

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 11:45:33 am »
interested also, optician said if i have it done i will then become long sighted and need glasses for reading later in life? not sure how that works though.
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline Moz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 11:51:24 am »
Best 2.5 I've ever spent. Had mine done 14 months ago now. Hardest part was listening to what they're going to do.

I fully recommend it if you're eligible and it was painless and I was out in 1.5 hours, I had one really bad eye but now, perfect! Changed my whole life.

My tip : You get given drops to use every few hours to stop your eyes drying up, buy extra packs and keep them in the car, at work, at home, at a friends house etc, as sometimes it just dries up and if you're stuck out and about it's a nightmare.

Go for a consultation, it's free and you'll be put at ease, my final tip, DON'T SKIMP.

Offline kevinm

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
  • No. 728
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 11:52:50 am »
I had it done in 2009. I was -5.00 and -5.50 (So very blind :laugh:).

I had it done in the Wellington Eye Clinic in Dublin. They were far from the cheapest but have a great rep. I had the surgery done in the morning. I had booked into a hotel adjacent to the clinic on their advice.

Straight after the surgery i had milky vision and it felt like I had sand in my eyes. I went back to the hotel and took a sleeping tablet supplied by the clinic. I woke 3 hours later and had perfect vision and have had it ever since.

The only thing I'd say is research the clinic and don't go to a clinic just because they are cheap.

I cant remember exactly but it was about €3k or just over.

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 11:58:45 am »
My cousin had it done about 10 years ago. He says it was the best thing ever and changed his life.

My sister is a GP and I asked her about it. She said not to do it, but didn't elaborate.

There is obviously an element of risk - I'd go to a few reputable clinics and ask a lot of questions. Keep at them about the chances of something going wrong - I'm sure it's highly unlikely, but I'd certainly want to know so I could make a completely informed decision.

'07 Red manual

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 12:02:49 pm »
Best 2.5 I've ever spent. Had mine done 14 months ago now. Hardest part was listening to what they're going to do.

I fully recommend it if you're eligible and it was painless and I was out in 1.5 hours, I had one really bad eye but now, perfect! Changed my whole life.

My tip : You get given drops to use every few hours to stop your eyes drying up, buy extra packs and keep them in the car, at work, at home, at a friends house etc, as sometimes it just dries up and if you're stuck out and about it's a nightmare.

Go for a consultation, it's free and you'll be put at ease, my final tip, DON'T SKIMP.

Where did you go?

Offline 81lly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 04:36:10 pm »
I had mine done at Optical Express. The scariest bit was when they cut your eye open :scared: only lasts 30secs or so  :happy2:

Eyesight is perfect now :smiley: Consultations are free so go to one and they will tell you how much it'll all cost. You can get those £300 off vouchers too

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 04:46:59 pm »
I've don't need glasses ATM but the rest of my family wear glasses and my eyesight is getting worse, so it is only a matter of time. I would want to get mine done if I did have to wear them but the only thing that puts me off is any optician I see in the local opticians still wear glasses, I would've thought they would have had it done if it was any good

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 05:06:28 pm »

My sister is a GP and I asked her about it. She said not to do it, but didn't elaborate.

My Mother is a GP too, and also advised not to have it done. I think it's more to do with the fact the methods are very much in their infancy.

I really want to have it done - I am -8.50 in my right eye and -7.50 in my left. I wear contact lenses and although that doesn't bother me in the slightest I would love not to have to bother with them.

The Sunderland Eye Infirmary has a reputation as the best in this country.

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 05:23:48 pm »
i am against it because when some prick scratches your beloved golf in the tesco carpark you are going to be able to see it better and therfore will upset you more  :fighting:
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

MPS

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 05:52:12 pm »
i am against it because when some prick scratches your beloved golf in the tesco carpark you are going to be able to see it better and therfore will upset you more  :fighting:

:grin:

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 10:55:05 am »
If you have laser eye surgery done you can not join the police force or fire brigade, apparently. Says it all really.  :scared:
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 10:59:31 am »
If you have laser eye surgery done you can not join the police force or fire brigade, apparently. Says it all really.  :scared:

I doubt that is true...

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 11:06:00 am »
It does ask on the application of the force if you have had laser eye surgery

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box