Make a donation

Author Topic: Alloy wheel sizes on todays cars. Where does it stop?  (Read 1120 times)

Offline jedi-knight83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
Alloy wheel sizes on todays cars. Where does it stop?
« on: June 07, 2012, 07:18:44 pm »
So. 20" is now the norm on many Audi, BMW and the new Porsche 991... even seen the 21" HRE on the 991 and though yep they look good.. I can see porsche doing 21" as standard on future models...

So where does it stop?

Will the golf mk8 come with 25" as standard?
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline Bernhard30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 16
Re: Alloy wheel sizes on todays cars. Where does it stop?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 08:03:09 pm »
I think they may have peaked in terms of size. Just my thought..

EVO mag seems to be attempting to write articles lately wanting more 'compliance' in road cars and gradually shrinking sidewalls and huge rims do not enhance the compliant working over 'real world' roads.

John Barker wrote the 964RS was the hardest riding car of all time when it came out, (early 90's) but these days it's not the hardest by some margin..

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 08:20:19 pm »
To be honest I think the 20" standard and option wheels on the 991 look slightly comical. Part of the 911s allure is that it's fairly understated. The new car doesn't really give that option.

Incidentally one if the most fun cars I've driven lately was a Golf Match with the 1.6 TDI Bluemotion engine. Riding on 16" wheels with tall tyres it really soaked up all the bumps round here. One less thing to detract from the driving experience.

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 08:29:05 pm »
Most of the Astra GTCs gathering dust at my local vauxhall dealer are riding on 20s...  :sick:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline bowie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 12:14:29 pm »
Most of the Astra GTCs gathering dust at my local vauxhall dealer are riding on 20s...  :sick:

Yeah , saw a GTC on the weekend and had to do a double take ! 245 45 20 continental on there.  Still a horrid car though.

Chris.
2010 Golf R DSG. Reflex. 3dr.

spankydan

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 12:36:30 pm »
There is a world split in sizes On the cars that i work with every day the EU, US, ROW cars all go out on 19/20" but for the Indian markets due to the roads they are 16"/17" with some obscene profile tyres 65/70.

As a pointer as well lock nuts not standard in the Chinese, US markets they do not require them as they don't go missing.

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 10:00:07 pm »
that porsche looks terrible on 20s  :scared:

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 02:58:51 pm »
I think when it comes down to it and people are buying these cars with silly size wheels on especially the joe public buying Astra's and the like they are going to come unstuck when the dreaded "I need new tyres" comes up.

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 03:39:07 pm »
Not just that the grief some of these tyres cause fitter due to the stiffer tyre wall. I was talking to the chap who fixed my puncture and he said its a nightmare, worst tyre he had done was a 275/30/22 and he said the tyre wall was so stiff his bar he used snapped. He said the worst part is alot of wheels are now diamond cut or painted so have to be even more careful which is difficult with the stiff walls