Make a donation

Author Topic: plastic wheel bolt caps gone white  (Read 2996 times)

Offline Ashley g

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Durward's Autoshop
    • Email
plastic wheel bolt caps gone white
« on: May 19, 2012, 07:30:14 pm »
A couple of weeks ago I took My car to the local car cleaners (I know it was a bad idea but didn't have access to my own cleaning stuff) Never again! They've used some wheel cleaner spray and now my wheel bolt caps have got white marks all over them! Does anyone know what this is and how to get it off or is it going to be a case of buying new ones?
2007 Edition 30, build number 30 - APR Stealth TBE - APR HPFP- APR stage 2 remap - Custom CAI - KW Clubsports - 10mm spacers on rear - VW Motorsport LSD, clutch & quick shift - A few poly bushes here and there!

*SOLD AND I MISS IT!! ANYONE SELLING A NICE ED30 PM ME* - UPDATE - I HAVE IT BACK!!!

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Re: plastic wheel bolt caps gone white
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 07:37:32 pm »
this happened to mine once

if it's the same as mine it does come off if you scrub hard enough. i spent about 30 mins with an old toothbrush to get them looking ok again

alternatively a new set of caps cost about £7 from a main dealer which is hardly breaking the bank
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Online stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 07:50:52 pm »
+1. I had this issue too. No idea how caustic the TFR they used was but the plastic covers had white residue all over them. A detailer at the time managed to use a short bristle (ie stiff) brush but in the end I just replaced them.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline nathangallo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 11:07:12 pm »
+1. I had this issue too. No idea how caustic the TFR they used was but the plastic covers had white residue all over them. A detailer at the time managed to use a short bristle (ie stiff) brush but in the end I just replaced them.

Happened to men also!

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 02:32:07 pm »
I have a set of hexagonal ones for sale if you want them. £6 :wink: :happy2:

Offline maxload

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 29
  • Edition30 - No.1819
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 10:20:32 am »
I allways remove them when I clean the wheels. You can then clean the caps with any good
plastic cleaner. After you have cleaned the wheels pop the clean caps back in and the wheel looks brand new

justsean

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 11:10:07 am »
Just replaced all mine for the same reason, white from previous owner, only cost me £4 from VW? thought that was bit of a bargain and they fitted them for me too whilst it was in for something else  :happy2:

Offline maxload

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 29
  • Edition30 - No.1819
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 05:38:08 pm »
Just replaced all mine for the same reason, white from previous owner, only cost me £4 from VW? thought that was bit of a bargain and they fitted them for me too whilst it was in for something else  :happy2:

I hope they didnt charge you for fitting them?? As its a really easy job to do :-)

justsean

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 11:17:21 am »
I hope they didnt charge you for fitting them?? As its a really easy job to do :-)
Nope! I just said I wanted them, didnt expect them to change them for me as its such an easy job, they just did it for me and didnt charge. Also replaced the heater cover on top which had warped in the sun a little didnt charge me labour for that either...not too shabby.