Make a donation

Author Topic: My car stereo (HELP!)  (Read 1918 times)

Offline shepmyster

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
  • LOW AND SLOW :)
    • Email
My car stereo (HELP!)
« on: June 13, 2012, 01:01:25 pm »
Ok i have a 2005 Golf 1.9 TDI and it has the same stereo in as the one you see below.
I want something better and i either want the Ipod capability or a bigger screen one that allows sat nav and all the works.
Can someone please tell me what i can get for it and also what i need to do ?

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
Re: My car stereo (HELP!)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 01:56:12 pm »
That looks like an rcd500. If your going to upgrade your radio, to a VW one, you may need the change the canbus to a later revision as the newer VW headunits will cause your car battery to drain when parked up. I have upgraded from an rcd500> rcd510, non-nav-non-DAB, touch screen and its great. It has an SD card slot for MP3's and plays CD MP3's, as well as IPOD and USB connectivity options. The cables are seperate for both though. As for satnav options, many go for the VW RNS510 and can be picked for around 470-500+ second hand. The newer versions are more expensive 600+. But if look around on the internet they can be had for a bargin! If you go the RNS route you want to upgrade your speedo/dash to a Highline dash and install multifunction buttons on the sterering wheel, but you'll need a different wheel I see. The highline dash will display basic nav information as well as music track names an allow greater control/settings for any additional options installed on your car.

Hope that helps
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline skard

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 02:06:06 pm »
A MFSW would also need a change of airbag from the one in picture.

Have a search, there are lots of good HU's recommended on here, look for one that has an interface box that allows for switched live via CAN (not native so you'd need to install this somehow to prevent battery draining) and use of steering controls if you plan on adding this later.

I have a Zenec NC2010, ticks many, many boxes and coming right down in price for second hand ones.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline shepmyster

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 02:17:57 pm »
So you went from a Rcd500 to a rcd510 and that allows the MP3 and ipod etc ?

Offline JoeDarKa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 04:58:08 pm »
You dont need a highline of a MFSW to use an rcd510 by the way. It would just be a bonus!

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 07:56:05 pm »
So you went from a Rcd500 to a rcd510 and that allows the MP3 and ipod etc ?

Some versions of the RCD500 play MP3 tracks as well. These will have mp3 stickered above the CD slot. Luckily for me going from the rcd500 to rcd510 was simply plug and play as I already had the newer CANBUS.. You can call your local VW garage, give them your VIN number and they can tell you what version you have. The same with any other part numbers you may need for your car which arent directly accessible.
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 12
    • Lone_Pars MK5 Diamond Black GTI
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 08:18:14 pm »
If you aren't fussed about going down the VW route I'd recommend the pioneer AVH 2400 BT. Can also be upgraded to use sat nav , parking camera, has parrot Bluetooth built in and front loading USB for iPod connectivity. Can control your iPhone/iPod from the touchscreen. Can pick it up online for about 300. Pic of mine in my members ride thread.

Offline shepmyster

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 09:52:16 am »
If you aren't fussed about going down the VW route I'd recommend the pioneer AVH 2400 BT. Can also be upgraded to use sat nav , parking camera, has parrot Bluetooth built in and front loading USB for iPod connectivity. Can control your iPhone/iPod from the touchscreen. Can pick it up online for about 300. Pic of mine in my members ride thread.

Do you have to buy anything extra with the pioneer AVH 2400 BT, like surrounds or oat like that or does it just fit straight in and plug and play ?
Also can you swap with the one i have ?

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 04:21:48 pm »
You need to buy a surround and cage (£10 or so) and wire it up to the fag lighter for some reason - someone with more technical knowledge will know why (I had mine fitted). Other than that it's plug and play. I removed my rcd300 from the golf and like I say, other than the mods above it worked straight out the box.

The sat nav and reverse parking are extras - probably about 400-500 to get both I'd say?

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 04:25:34 pm »
I didn't bother about sat nav I should say, as I've got Tom Tom on my iPhone and when I use sat nav the sound goes thru via Bluetooth and I can see the maps on my phone.

My only niggle is the front USB as I've got my iPod in the glove box so you can see the cable when connected.

It was the best thing I could get at the time with my budget. It may well be that the RNS510 is a better option if you could get a second hand one.