Make a donation

Author Topic: Oil drip advice please.  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Scousus maximus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Oil drip advice please.
« on: April 07, 2012, 05:48:36 pm »
Did an oil change on the EOS  today which means taking off the large metal undertray. I noticed the "dried" oil patch in the front corner and found it was coming from the hose as shown. (on the intercooler I think, it's a PD 140 by the way)
Can anybody tell me what it might be and should I be worried?
There's never been a spot of oil under the car and it never uses any oil between services, this plus the fact that the oil on the tray is "dry" suggests it's nothing too serious but any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

John

Offline Trekmeister

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 10
  • Golf GT 140
Re: Oil drip advice please.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 06:20:19 pm »
Common problem, my son had the same on his 1.9 TDI, cost about £70 to change the pipe and clip from an indie dealer.

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 10:05:05 pm »
As said its a common problem on pretty much all VAG turbo'd cars as they recirculate some of the combustion gasses into the charge air and these gasses are oily.  They condense back into fluid and accumulate at the lowest point of the system.  Many take the view that what you have is completely harmless and do nothing about it.  I had the same on my GTI and got a new gasket which goes between the pipe and intercooler and it has solved the 'problem'.  Costs a couple of quid and easy to DIY.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline Scousus maximus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 12:43:09 pm »
Thanks for the replies fellas :happy2:,  I'll probably just monitor it and sort it next time I can get it over a pit to sort it properly.

Regards,

John

Offline John GT140

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 08:05:45 pm »
That looks the same as mine when i did oil change , think i too will be ordering a new gasket

Offline leon56

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 07:59:23 pm »
see this all the time at work you can order just the pipe seal which is cheap and keep an eye on it