Make a donation

Author Topic: Revo Stage 2 Vs APR Stage 2  (Read 11537 times)

Offline Bazgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Revo Stage 2 Vs APR Stage 2
« on: June 14, 2012, 10:10:37 pm »
Hi Guys,

Regarding previous posts of 'Awesome switching back to APR'.

I just thought id update you on my findings.

I mentioned a while back that i was an Awesome customer and have been for a number of years while in ownership of 2 GTIs and an Anni while my uncle had his Leon Cupra R.
Obviously it caused a bit of a stir on a fair few forums and with mod'd VAG owners.  Particularly with the reasons of the switch. To me personally the most important thing was power and performance and dealer back up if things went wrong.
When i bought my Mk5 in May 11 awesome were using Revo. My Anni, Mk4 Gti and the Cupra were all on APR and was over the moon with them throughout. Mark however told me that because of internal issues with APR they had decided to use Revo so happily i went along as id come to trust his views and opinions.

Now to my point....

Iv been using Revo for about 10months. Its been fine, but not spectacular. I found the power to be very aggressive and raw which in part made the drive jittery and hard work when trying to lay the power down cleanly, however i can note the fuel economy was excellent especially when i went to stage 2.

When the news broke i called Mark and discussed my options as i didnt really fancy driving x amount of miles to the next Revo dealer. Him being the way he is, he told me straight. He admitted that Revo had the edge at that point, That while working with Revo they had been excellent and the customer backup had been brilliant.
Buuuut..... APR were back! The 'issues' were in the past, the software was to be re tested to bring it to a competative level with the opposition and i had nothing to worry bout, leave it with him.

Now i spent a fair few weeks mulling over my options of driving further afield to another dealer, asking myself would i be happy losing power and performance? Would i even need the back up of the dealer at all?

I came to the conclusion that living with a little less power would be a better option than driving miles away to a dealer i had no previous experience with, after all Awesome have been true to their names since day 1.

Anyways... Got the call to come down and do a before and after rolling road with Revo stage 2 software against the new APR Stage 2.

RESULTS :-

Revo 239.7 bhp with 312.5lb/ft of torque

APR 246.8 bhp with 317.9lb/ft of torque

(Both with piper x panel filter, Turbo back Milltek with High flow cat and software)         

I have the print outs to prove and will add them later when i have more time. Now i like to chase numbers n while its not an epic amount of 'stallions' more its not a bad gain for simply changing maps.
The curve on the graph is much more crisp and rounded and the on the all important drive the acceleration is far smoother and manageable. On my daily commute i usually do 32mpg, im getting a touch more now at 33.5.

SO to conclude.... Im in no way saying APR is better n Revo is worse as itl open that HUUUUGE tin of worms it usually does im just saying that ive had the pleasure of running both options and i find the APR software ticks more boxes and suits my need that little bit better.

Thanks for reading. Hope this helps

Offline badbwoy27

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: Revo Stage 2 Vs APR Stage 2
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 10:18:21 pm »
So basically the point your trying to get across is that revo is sh*t!!!!!!!!!! :signLOL:

Offline JackG

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 10:21:32 pm »
Oh dear  :scared: this is going to be a looooooooooong thread,
It's very interesting in your findings tho, strange as I have seem the opposite from revo side of things IE revo producing more power etc etc, it's good that stuff like this keeps the tuners on there toes  :drinking:

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 10:47:17 pm »
This thread is useless without both a pic of both RR graphs and what revo settings you were using.   :jumping:
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 10:52:05 pm »
Interesting torque figures!

Offline Bazgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 10:55:45 pm »
This thread is useless without both a pic of both RR graphs and what revo settings you were using.   :jumping:

When im not on the iphone il happily stick em  :smiley:

Interesting torque? In what way?

Offline Bazgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 10:57:45 pm »
Oh dear  :scared: this is going to be a looooooooooong thread,
It's very interesting in your findings tho, strange as I have seem the opposite from revo side of things IE revo producing more power etc etc, it's good that stuff like this keeps the tuners on there toes  :drinking:

Which version of APR are you comparing against?

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 10:59:31 pm »
Ive flashed 20+ Revo stg2 files and set them up on the dyno and not seen torque figures of much more than 275-280ftlb. But I do usually see 250-260hp.

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 11:09:15 pm »
Ive flashed 20+ Revo stg2 files and set them up on the dyno and not seen torque figures of much more than 275-280ftlb. But I do usually see 250-260hp.

My stg 1 K03 made 300lbft on JKM's DD rollers. Nothing quite like the age old dyno lottery.  :smiley:

Offline Bazgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 11:15:41 pm »
Im quite dissapointed with horsey figures tbh. It did 233 at stage 1 so not really the big gains i was expecting buuut Mark said its probably being restricted by the crap panel filter.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 11:19:21 pm »
Torque output vastly depends on the method used to measure the RPM vs mph ratio on the dyno.

Peak numbers are relatively unimportant, its all about the curves.

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 11:59:54 pm »
 :popcornsoda: Sitting back comfortably...

Offline JMP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 07:53:29 am »
Has anyone else done same comparision? Im in a position to try to pick either one, APR or Revo (stage 2) sw. I want the one giving most power and I think Revo still has the edge with the ability to finetune the settings. Awesome www-pages do advertise that Revo has been giving bigger numbers on their dyno

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 09:01:57 am »

I'm sorry but Awesome's RR is not to be believed, it needs re calibrating or something. It suggested my car was pulling over 400lb ft of torque, which on a KO4 Stg 2+ is not possible. You are talking Lamborghini levels.
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 09:34:23 am »
two people from this forum have gone from revo stage 2 plus on a k04 to APR stage 2 plus. And they arent awesome GTI customers  :popcornsoda: