Make a donation

Author Topic: Revo Stage 2 Vs APR Stage 2  (Read 11545 times)

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
Re: Revo Stage 2 Vs APR Stage 2
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 09:39:45 am »
torque figure quoted is unreal for stage 1 K03 car!

K04 car makes 330 lbft torque!

Paul
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline wigit

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 01:20:18 pm »
All fun and games in tuner market Tuner A criticises Tuner B with respect to their maps making more power and pushing the envelope, then Tuner A starts pumping out maps with even more power than Tuner B and start willy waiving

Offline Thor

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 01:31:48 pm »
:popcornsoda: Sitting back comfortably...

Extra large bag of Doritos on standby.  :popcornsoda:
Gone but not forgotten - Edition 30 No.2239
                                     Mk6 GTI

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 01:40:01 pm »
On a side note; I wouldn't go Revo stage 2 on a Edition 30 unless you have TBE, Intake, Uprated Fuel Pump... it just doesn't work with a panel filter and a 3" downpipe/sports cat... :laugh:
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline Bazgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 01:50:42 pm »
On a side note; I wouldn't go Revo stage 2 on a Edition 30 unless you have TBE, Intake, Uprated Fuel Pump... it just doesn't work with a panel filter and a 3" downpipe/sports cat... :laugh:

If your implying to me there. I have a Gti not an Eddy but i tend to agree but Rome wasnt built in a day the intake a hpfp are next on the agenda

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 01:53:40 pm »
Well this will be a interesting thread - but its also made my decision even harder now!!!   :mad:

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 01:58:04 pm »

If your implying to me there. I have a Gti not an Eddy but i tend to agree but Rome wasnt built in a day the intake a hpfp are next on the agenda

Wasn't really, just wanted to add as a side note...  :happy2:
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline Ashley g

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Durward's Autoshop
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 02:01:18 pm »
My Ed30 is APR stage 2, unfortunately never had it on the rollers otherwise I'd happily put a graph up
2007 Edition 30, build number 30 - APR Stealth TBE - APR HPFP- APR stage 2 remap - Custom CAI - KW Clubsports - 10mm spacers on rear - VW Motorsport LSD, clutch & quick shift - A few poly bushes here and there!

*SOLD AND I MISS IT!! ANYONE SELLING A NICE ED30 PM ME* - UPDATE - I HAVE IT BACK!!!

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2012, 02:04:43 pm »
My Ed30 is APR stage 2, unfortunately never had it on the rollers otherwise I'd happily put a graph up

Said Revo stage 2 on eddy... :happy2:
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 02:40:31 pm »
I have no experience of APR, their maps could well be better than Revo, but I dont think Revo will take it lying down, their new Stage 2+ map may well be as a fightback against the surge of APR popularity.

I think a lot of it comes down to your local trusted tuner. If the person I trust to do all the work on my car ditched Revo for APR I would probably trust his judgment, just as people who swear by JKM, Statlllers, PDT would even though part of the reason could be a financial carrot waved at the tuner in question.

You can still only push the TFSI so far before it goes pop regardless of which map you have so we may as well all agree that the re map is still best bang for buck regardless of which one you have  :drinking:
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2012, 03:00:41 pm »
Theres lots to happen this year with APR/REVO - good news is prices cant change on the maps much, expect to part with some healthy cash for the new hardware, but as long as technically they're feuding theres only going to be one winner.

Additionally the revo dealers left generally are the very dedicated ones...... that said APR have the initiative right now on new products that wont last for ever and the positive cycle will continue.

Jonny C's taking a lot of flack at the moment for switching sides but the only variables in the equation are the customer service levels at both tuning houses, REVO have had to get their Sh1t together big time and thats still ongoing....they were complacent and got ambushed by US special forces!

Previous issues with APR have gone away now that they're sat in VWR's back garden - its a big statement moving to the UK and tieing up with VWR...

VWR Brakes are still a grand overpriced though........

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2012, 03:03:53 pm »
Theres lots to happen this year with APR/REVO - good news is prices cant change on the maps much, expect to part with some healthy cash for the new hardware, but as long as technically they're feuding theres only going to be one winner.

Additionally the revo dealers left generally are the very dedicated ones...... that said APR have the initiative right now on new products that wont last for ever and the positive cycle will continue.

Jonny C's taking a lot of flack at the moment for switching sides but the only variables in the equation are the customer service levels at both tuning houses, REVO have had to get their Sh1t together big time and thats still ongoing....they were complacent and got ambushed by US special forces!

Previous issues with APR have gone away now that they're sat in VWR's back garden - its a big statement moving to the UK and tieing up with VWR...

VWR Brakes are still a grand overpriced though........

lol quality, little bit at the bottom. Sod it lets all get Blu Fin or Celtic Tuning FTW  :jumpmove:
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2012, 05:50:03 pm »
Well i have had both when my GTI was "stock" K04 converted. IF APR has gone a bit more customer oriented in their approach the choice is going both ways for me. But when you decide to go a bit further REVO has been able to accomodate what need i have had whereas APR are working within a narrow frame hardwarewise, so no competition for REVO there.
On a sidenote i'm eagerly  :popcornsoda: what the main man's verdict will be after his current operation on the red devil is done. Really looking forward to hearing what SteveP's verdict is, he if any will have experienced APR's customer service first hand  :happy2:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2012, 06:27:37 pm »

Except that APR and Revo aren't shaking hands  :evilgrin:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Saintsteve

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2012, 07:28:45 pm »
Hi Guys,

Regarding previous posts of 'Awesome switching back to APR'.

I just thought id update you on my findings.

I mentioned a while back that i was an Awesome customer and have been for a number of years while in ownership of 2 GTIs and an Anni while my uncle had his Leon Cupra R.
Obviously it caused a bit of a stir on a fair few forums and with mod'd VAG owners.  Particularly with the reasons of the switch. To me personally the most important thing was power and performance and dealer back up if things went wrong.
When i bought my Mk5 in May 11 awesome were using Revo. My Anni, Mk4 Gti and the Cupra were all on APR and was over the moon with them throughout. Mark however told me that because of internal issues with APR they had decided to use Revo so happily i went along as id come to trust his views and opinions.

Now to my point....

Iv been using Revo for about 10months. Its been fine, but not spectacular. I found the power to be very aggressive and raw which in part made the drive jittery and hard work when trying to lay the power down cleanly, however i can note the fuel economy was excellent especially when i went to stage 2.

When the news broke i called Mark and discussed my options as i didnt really fancy driving x amount of miles to the next Revo dealer. Him being the way he is, he told me straight. He admitted that Revo had the edge at that point, That while working with Revo they had been excellent and the customer backup had been brilliant.
Buuuut..... APR were back! The 'issues' were in the past, the software was to be re tested to bring it to a competative level with the opposition and i had nothing to worry bout, leave it with him.

Now i spent a fair few weeks mulling over my options of driving further afield to another dealer, asking myself would i be happy losing power and performance? Would i even need the back up of the dealer at all?

I came to the conclusion that living with a little less power would be a better option than driving miles away to a dealer i had no previous experience with, after all Awesome have been true to their names since day 1.

Anyways... Got the call to come down and do a before and after rolling road with Revo stage 2 software against the new APR Stage 2.

RESULTS :-

Revo 239.7 bhp with 312.5lb/ft of torque

APR 246.8 bhp with 317.9lb/ft of torque

(Both with piper x panel filter, Turbo back Milltek with High flow cat and software)          

I have the print outs to prove and will add them later when i have more time. Now i like to chase numbers n while its not an epic amount of 'stallions' more its not a bad gain for simply changing maps.
The curve on the graph is much more crisp and rounded and the on the all important drive the acceleration is far smoother and manageable. On my daily commute i usually do 32mpg, im getting a touch more now at 33.5.

SO to conclude.... Im in no way saying APR is better n Revo is worse as itl open that HUUUUGE tin of worms it usually does im just saying that ive had the pleasure of running both options and i find the APR software ticks more boxes and suits my need that little bit better.

Thanks for reading. Hope this helps

so in other words you've wasted £500+ on a new map that gives you ultimately the same result??  All bar 6bhp, which could be difference in Air temps... And any number of minor factors giving a tiny gain..

Graphs would be handy though?  But can't see your logic into why you wanted to change ?

your bum dyno isn't gonna feel a 5lb ft of gain, only in your mind it will.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 07:32:35 pm by Saintsteve »