Make a donation

Author Topic: Replaced PCV - P0172 System Too Rich, Bank 1  (Read 7838 times)

Offline AnSGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 2
  • 2012 GTI Edition 35
Replaced PCV - P0172 System Too Rich, Bank 1
« on: February 01, 2013, 04:47:04 pm »
My car seems to have developed a vacuum leak, when warm the idle settles around 1200 rpm (sounding like I still have my foot on the accelerator pedal). If I rev the car it drops to 1000rpm before jumping back up to 1200rpm.

From searching on here I see the common faults are PCV valve or a torn DV. The car has 64k on it and both are probably original. I'll begin by checking both items but are there any other common causes for this?

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 03:50:18 pm by AnSGTI »

Saintsteve

Re: High idle - vacuum leak?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 05:35:06 pm »
My car seems to have developed a vacuum leak, when warm the idle settles around 1200 rpm (sounding like I still have my foot on the accelerator pedal). If I rev the car it drops to 1000rpm before jumping back up to 1200rpm.

From searching on here I see the common faults are PCV valve or a torn DV. The car has 64k on it and both are probably original. I'll begin by checking both items but are there any other common causes for this?

Thanks in advance

After 64k..... Properly wear n tear  :signLOL:

Offline AnSGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 2012 GTI Edition 35
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 07:56:21 pm »
 :signLOL:

Sounds about right, my wings are going in for rust this month and I was told I 'may' need a new steering rack after I picked it up from it's recent service

Saintsteve

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 10:03:08 pm »
:signLOL:

Sounds about right, my wings are going in for rust this month and I was told I 'may' need a new steering rack after I picked it up from it's recent service

PCV would be my 1st choice, if your experiencing power loss, the Diverter valve would be for me 2nd up.

Offline AnSGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 2012 GTI Edition 35
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 09:31:47 am »
Well this fault got even worse over the weekend, so much so the car was revving on it's own to almost 2K rpm.

I checked the PCV valve by removing the intake pipe and seeing if I could blow through it (as I'd read) and it had definitely failed. I called VW and got a new one yesterday and fitted, they provided me with 06F 129 101N.

I removed the old one and immediately I could see that oil had been seeping between the old PCV and the block. I didn't get a new gasket but removed the old one and cleaned it, as well and the block. Once I'd fitted the new one I took the car for a spin and I could immediately notice a difference, in the 2.5 years I've owned the car it has NEVER idled as well as it's doing now. It's silky smooth, no more slight shudders which I had come to accept as a common trate of the 2.0 TFSI.

Anyway my joy was short lived, 10 miles into my 20 mile commute this morning my EML came on - someone has a fault code reader at work so I'll get the fault code at lunch time

Has anyone else fitted a revision N PCV to their ED30? I'm wondering if I have the right one

Offline AnSGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 2012 GTI Edition 35
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 10:55:19 am »
Just had the car scanned - P0172 - System Too Rich, Bank 1

Guessing I need to check I put the seal between the PCV valve and the head and the pipes running off. Any other common causes for this? Car doesn't have any engine mods and hasn't been mapped

Saintsteve

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 11:10:07 am »
Just had the car scanned - P0172 - System Too Rich, Bank 1

Guessing I need to check I put the seal between the PCV valve and the head and the pipes running off. Any other common causes for this? Car doesn't have any engine mods and hasn't been mapped

try this..

http://www.ross-tech.com/Search-Results.html?q=P0172%20-%20System%20Too%20Rich%2C%20Bank%201

Offline AnSGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 2012 GTI Edition 35
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 03:15:08 pm »
Well I've had the engine cover off and I can't notice any issues, everything looks to be connected an intact.

I have however noticed that they've put way too much oil in the car during my service last week. I've cleared the fault - I'm going to get the excess oil drained and take it from there.