Make a donation

Author Topic: thermostat diy or price idea wanted  (Read 3187 times)

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
thermostat diy or price idea wanted
« on: June 18, 2012, 10:35:45 am »
looking for a diy to change the mk5 gti thermostat but havnt had any luck whatsoever anyone with a guide guide preferably with pictures oooorr can someone roughly tell me how much it would cost for a local garagw to change it (just labour) thanks!

Offline percy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
Re: thermostat diy or price idea wanted
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 11:51:34 am »
THis no easy job mate, i believe most garages will charge between 4 and 6 hours labour. :surprised:

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 07:02:24 pm »
4-6 hours?!

my understanding was that you had to remove the alternator to get to it along with the associated housings and that would be it...1.5-2.5 hours tops...

MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline pandahouse68

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 07:03:26 pm »
yeah,it took me 4-hours to get it done :driver:

Offline callis

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 07:19:17 pm »
My vag indy garage charged £130 to change and suppy the parts. The main problem being you have to remove the alternator to get access to the thermostat.

I think the thermostat is sub £20 from steelers and then coolent is around £5, so rest would be labour.
05 GTI 5 Door, sunroof, met paint, 18" monza, Leather Anthacite, front centre armrest, xenon headlights, Lux pack 2, Sensors, Winter Pack.

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 08:04:40 pm »
cheera guys, good job i have a very friendly mechanic  :innocent: although im tempted to give it a go myself if it only means removing the alternator  :laugh:

Offline pandahouse68

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 10:16:05 pm »
I removed the radiator fan as well  to get more room and couples of water pipes :P

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 10:25:07 pm »
quite different to the TDI's then! you're 'supposed' to remove the alternator to do it properly but with some creativity with wobbly extensions and perseverance its doable without - didnt realise it was such a massive job on the TSI/TFSI engines!

whats your engine code?

(armed with the workshop manual for the engine and a half decent set of tools, changing out the thermostat should be easy enough for someone reasonably competent with a toolset!)
MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...