Make a donation

Author Topic: Vw racing 4 pots brakes discs and pads  (Read 5487 times)

Offline JackG

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
Vw racing 4 pots brakes discs and pads
« on: June 19, 2012, 04:03:17 pm »
Guys im buying a set of vw racing 4 pots, they need new pads and discs, I'd like I hooked or slotted discs and some  decent pads that will last, I have sent daveB 2 pm's and he hasn't replied so wonder if there's anyone else out there who can supply and offer some advice on pads and discs, also may get them refurbished but it's all cost depending
Any help and recommendations will be great  :happy2:
Jack

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline stubert

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
Re: Vw racing 4 pots brakes discs and pads
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 04:30:19 pm »
I read in that for sale thread (im assuming its the same one) that Dave is the UK supplier for ProjectMu?  He is your best bet, but let me tell you now, the new discs will NOT be cheap.  You could swap for 1 piece discs i'm guessing but why ruin such a great set up with heavy discs?
As for pads i would contact VWR and consider their pads.  A refurbishment might not be necessary.  You could easily pop out all the pistons etc and clean everything up yourself

Offline JackG

• Thank You
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 05:09:40 pm »
Great bit of advice  :happy2:
It's the painting Im not sure on, but it depends on cost, if it's over 100 odd quid I'll probs do it myself, as for discs and pads cost I guess there cost what they cost, I'll do it properly  :party:

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 07:41:43 pm »
Best chance to catch DaveB is after Inters, he's a very busy man atm.  :drinking:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 08:31:52 pm »

Or at Inters as he has a stand ;)

Offline JackG

• Thank You
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 10:35:41 pm »
I know Dave is good but is there anyone else?  Just concerns me how busy he is  :surprised: im in no rush but I would like to know what's happening " if I did get brakes from Dave"  :sad1:

Offline stubert

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 06:18:26 am »
ProjectMu are a huge Japense brake manufacturer.  If you have a squint around some of the Japenese orientated online shops, they can probably source some for you.
The discs themselves won't be "VW Golf MK5 fitment", they'll just be sold based on the size/width so should be pretty easy to source.
Alternatively, and some people may correct me here, but it might be possible to source some from a n other brake manufacturer, like AP or the likes, if the bolting pattern matches.  My knowledge of 2 piece gear isn't the strongest.  Also, you'd have to not mention to AP it wasn't for their brakes ;)

As far as a refurb goes, the best place i've ever used is BiggRed.  Their quality of work is fantastic, but i can assure you it won't be £100 :P  You can, however, buy seal kits, pistons, bleed nipples from them for very reasonable prices.

If this is the kit that was for sale on the forum, i was very tempted myself, but didn't want to have to change out wheels.  It'll be such a capable kit with the right components :)

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 07:05:47 am »
Sorry I've been crap, I am running around like a lunatic as the show gets nearer.

jack

Project Mu stuff is a fortune, just so that everyone knows why PMUnhave a global marketing agreement with an Australian company - consequently we end up paying double duty both in and out of Oz

I think the thing to consider is why they were 2.5k new and they are £500 now needing discs and pads.....

That said its a common size disc but on a brembo 10 bolt fixing.

I'd reccomend thinking along th lines you've just bought some calipers only and getting some bells made to suit an AP disc which I can help you with.

That said if you send me the discs AP do do some lookeylikey Brembo discs and this might be one of them.

If you are looking for direct replacement P!U discs and pads then don't expect any change out of £1200

Caliper refurb would be £150-200 assuming you could get the seals. Big red will NEVER have seen a set of PMU calipers

I'm already on with price requests for other people

Offline djhorace

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 10:36:11 am »
Will see you on Sunday Dave about mine. Maybe worth telling everyone where you will be at inters  :happy2:

Offline JackG

• Thank You
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 10:56:19 am »
Well I managed to bugger the piston on my pushbikes brake yesterday so I won't refurb it  :signLOL:
Dave I'll come chat to you at inters buddy, once I get the kit I may just send it to yourself and you can sort as and when you've got time....

One thing I never considered was wheels.....my pescaras need changing or spacing? Im getting some new wheels anyway so not to flap

Jack

Offline Dp_Ed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 02:49:28 pm »
this is why i passed on those brakes spare were stupid money and made no sense. now look at a ttrs conversion or something along those lines

Offline JackG

• Thank You
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 11:11:52 am »
The brakes are a great price, john (S3 kel the seller) has been honest enough to say they pads and discs and im happy with that, like said it is 2k set up, discs and pads are never cheap on any bbk......I guess you pay the monies for the good stuff  :signLOL:
There cost what they cost at the end of the day, im happy with it all  :driver:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 02:58:06 pm »
New rotors were 400+VAT and pads around £150+VAT for my Alcons, a calipers rebuild kit was about £30 due to the way they're made being much more efficient... No external seals to split/melt.

You'll be paying double that for Mu stuff, on top of what the kit costs. I'm sure others will confirm the two kits are of equal quality. With some shopping around, you'd get a brand new, high quality BBK for what you'll end up forking out.
Sideways yo!

Offline JackG

• Thank You
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 09:12:50 pm »
Im happy with them and the price, it's a good price to be fair, say the R32 brake set up needs new pads and discs does that then mean there 100£ as they need to have 200 spent on them? It will be the case with all BBK's anyway.....
Im happy so I'll see what Dave recommends at inters
Thanks for input so far guys

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 11:28:01 am »
New rotors were 400+VAT and pads around £150+VAT for my Alcons, a calipers rebuild kit was about £30 due to the way they're made being much more efficient... No external seals to split/melt.

You'll be paying double that for Mu stuff, on top of what the kit costs. I'm sure others will confirm the two kits are of equal quality. With some shopping around, you'd get a brand new, high quality BBK for what you'll end up forking out.

Just spent £700 trade on some new 343x32mm rotors mike.

Alcon is good stuff but spares have gone up exponential, lots of Alcon dealers are leaving the brand, evidently they sell a kit then the customer feels aggrieved at spares cost and they go elsewhere for the next set.

Alcons good but people I speak to cant help but feel fleeced, comparably some AP rotors for the popular kits say 330x28 are 340 plus VAT for the pair, bolt kit £12?

Alcon could double market share if they weren't so greedy the industry wide known fact is that they're desperately short of stock (as isAP) have supply problems so manage the problem with customer pricing.

People have long memory's