Make a donation

Author Topic: Here for a Nosy!  (Read 2031 times)

Offline PoshFan

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Here for a Nosy!
« on: June 25, 2012, 10:07:16 pm »
Hi all,

Unfortunately i'm not already a Golf owner :( I own a 2010 Corsa SRi shown below, and have had it for 2yrs so far. I'm planning on changing car once the ice has cleared after Christmas (yes - next year!) but as avid car fans i'm sure you can relate, i am extremely fussy! Up until last week i was looking at the Astra VXR / Focus ST route as their value will drop with the newer models being released, but i hadn't given much thought at all to Golf's which is strange seeing as i've been keeping my mind open since last year.

The current motor

I know pretty much all i need to know about the Astra and the Focus, so i'm going to give myself the next 6 months to wise up on this lovely motor. There's some stunning examples on here and they've already got my heart set on a black ED30. I'm not looking to spend a huge amount and one of the biggest deciding factors will be the MPG returned when driving sensibly so i'll be browsing the forums for many months! I hope to get myself a test drive in the next couple of months to get my taste buds going a bit more. I've already driven several VXR's and an ST a few times so i can only hope to have similar pace but with added quality.

Probably rambled a bit, but just thought i'd lay it all out haha!

So yeah, hello!  :drinking:

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Here for a Nosy!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 10:12:45 pm »
A Warm Welcome to the forum  :drinking: - It's nice that folks who don't have VAG (Volkswagen Audi etc) cars feel comfortable enough to join this forum.

Real-world mpg on Mk5 GTI and Ed30 is about 28-32 mpg.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline PoshFan

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 10:19:13 pm »
Thanks :happy2: Is it not something you guys see often then?  :signLOL: One way or another, we're all car enthusiasts!

That's actually quite good! Thanks :) Am i right in assuming the ED30 just has a larger turbo so the MPG of a regular 2.0 GTI will only be marginally better?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 10:25:34 pm »
^^^^
Yes, the Ed30's K04 turbo is slightly larger than the GTI's K03. Without scientifically measuring mpg over a long period it's difficult for figures to be reliable. Also, driving style and types of journeys may influence mpg. Manufacturer's mpg claims are notoriously unreliable though.

Absolutely spot on! We are all car enthusiasts  :grouphug:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 10:29:42 pm »
Welcome to the forum

Offline Jogon

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 10:39:00 pm »
Welcome  :happy2:

Offline scopes

• Thank You
  • -Given: 131
  • -Receive: 115
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49748.0.html
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 12:17:54 am »
Welcome along, hope you enjoy
If it's not broke, Mod it.....

Silver is the way !

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 10:33:58 pm »
Welcome along PoshFan.  Is Barry Fry still on the go?!

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 11:34:36 pm »
Welcome along!!  :drinking:

You wont be disappointed in (eventually) getting a mk5 GTI. Have an ED30 and since owning it have logged my mpg and found around town is 24.4mpg and motorway (70mph ish  :evilgrin:) is 31.2mpg. Loads and LOADS of threads on fuel economy of various mk5's. When really, really trying to conserve go go juice I have returned 38-41mpg, usually doing a constant speed at around the magic 60mpg.

Cheers,  :happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline PoshFan

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 09:55:31 pm »
Thanks all. Yeah JJ, unfortunately he is still there haha

Welcome along!!  :drinking:

You wont be disappointed in (eventually) getting a mk5 GTI. Have an ED30 and since owning it have logged my mpg and found around town is 24.4mpg and motorway (70mph ish  :evilgrin:) is 31.2mpg. Loads and LOADS of threads on fuel economy of various mk5's. When really, really trying to conserve go go juice I have returned 38-41mpg, usually doing a constant speed at around the magic 60mpg.

Cheers,  :happy2:

Thanks for the info mate. That's actually only marginally worse than what I get out of my 1.4! I monitor it using Fuelly and in the past 6 months I've averaged about 40mpg driving with a feather foot!