Make a donation

Author Topic: Various Modification questions.......  (Read 1766 times)

Offline true-blue

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 3
Various Modification questions.......
« on: May 24, 2009, 03:06:07 pm »
Body work first,....

Having a full correction detail done on my Red ED30 as the previous owner put it through to many car washes. However, like my previous gti the bonnet has more than it's fair share of stone chips. What I'm thinking about is having the bonnet and roof done in either satin black or CF effect viynl..... but how well does that stuff last and stay looking good? .....is it more stone chip resistant than paint? 

The reason I ask is because I have a friend with a body shop who can paint the front half of the car to a high stanard relatively cheeply, but I'll only start to pick up chips all over again.

Power....

I've (more or less :rolleye:) decided to work with software alone as I kinda expect the extra gains from intake and exhaust to not make a huge difference on the strip or on the road ?? Please someone correct me if I'm wrong..... But I'm interested in the high Pressure fuel pump, question is, will this give gains on standard exhaust, intake etc with just software ??

Also does the HPFP, impact badly on MPG when driving normally, say using D on the DSG box? 

(my car is a daily driver and I need reasonable economy when pottering about visiting clients)

Cheers :happy2:

Octavia Vrs MKII - KO4, forge twintercooler, S3 Injectors, APR HPFP, RS4 FP Valve, Pipeworx 3'' DP and Sports cat, Piper non res exhuast, ITG Maxogen, Quaife Dif, sachs clutch kit, NQSBBBK with RS4-2 pads, H&R SS Coilovers with adjustable koni inserts.
Good for 328 BHP on JKM's rollers !!

Offline danishmkvgti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
Re: Various Modification questions.......
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 03:13:06 pm »
Unless you experience fuel cuts, you shouldn't be needing an uprated HPFP since you only was software tune, get a freeflowing TBE instead, IMO.  :happy2:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 03:14:47 pm »
And no, you doesn't get a bad MPG when uprating your HPFP, after a K04 conversion including APR HPFP, i drive 11km/l, and i drove 11,5km/l before.

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 08:16:13 pm »
The Vinyl is more resistant to stone chips, but it also depends on which one you choose as there are hundreds of different types some soft some brittle. And they say they will last outside for a few years no problem.  :smiley:
In regards to the engine mods you have planned.
Stage 1 re-map requires nothing else. just the map.
Stage 2 requires a turbo back exhaust as well
stage 2 + requires a fuel pump and and intercooler as well i think.  Not to sure on the intake i believe if you go stage 2+ then it is worthwhile below the figures produced by this benefit can be argued as dubious  :smiley: Still worth it though for the extra sound.  :evilgrin:

If i where you i would start off with a turbo back zorst and stage 2 map, and see how you like that, because in a ED 30 you wont be disappointed in the gains.   :driver:

Offline true-blue

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 08:24:10 pm »
The Vinyl is more resistant to stone chips, but it also depends on which one you choose as there are hundreds of different types some soft some brittle. And they say they will last outside for a few years no problem.  :smiley:
stage 2 + requires a fuel pump and and intercooler as well i think.  Not to sure on the intake i believe if you go stage 2+ then it is worthwhile below the figures produced by this benefit can be argued as dubious  :smiley: Still worth it though for the extra sound.  :evilgrin:

If i where you i would start off with a turbo back zorst and stage 2 map, and see how you like that, because in a ED 30 you wont be disappointed in the gains.   :driver:

I'm 'kinda' trying to keep my spending a bit under control, which is why I thought about just mapping. If we're only talking about maybe 15-20 extra hp for the cost of the milltek/Blueflame turbo back system and stage2 software it seems like a bit of an expensive mod for the difference  this will make in the real world.... but please put me right as I'd like to be encouraged that I'm wrong  :evilgrin:
Octavia Vrs MKII - KO4, forge twintercooler, S3 Injectors, APR HPFP, RS4 FP Valve, Pipeworx 3'' DP and Sports cat, Piper non res exhuast, ITG Maxogen, Quaife Dif, sachs clutch kit, NQSBBBK with RS4-2 pads, H&R SS Coilovers with adjustable koni inserts.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 08:34:25 pm »
Haha the problem is you wont believe the difference in power with just the map.  :evilgrin:
Once on you will be addicted. and will wake up in the middle of the night thinking about power  :grin:
Putting the zorst really changes the feel of the car on many levels. And stage 2 with zorst may only give you another 25 BHP but that is a lot in the real world.
Just get the map and i guarantee you will be after more 2 weeks later.  :rolleye:

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 08:38:42 pm »

I'm 'kinda' trying to keep my spending a bit under control, which is why I thought about just mapping. If we're only talking about maybe 15-20 extra hp for the cost of the milltek/Blueflame turbo back system and stage2 software it seems like a bit of an expensive mod for the difference  this will make in the real world.... but please put me right as I'd like to be encouraged that I'm wrong  :evilgrin:
Oh that slippery slope may have another Victim :smiley:

like the pringles advert saying, one you pop you just cant stop  :laugh:
 :scared:

Offline true-blue

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 08:50:36 pm »
Is there any proven difference between blue flame and milltek power wise ?

and I'm assuming the main gain is from the free flow cat rather than the exhaust system, ie the cat back system won't make much difference on it's own ??

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 09:04:58 pm »
No the cat back is just for looks and sound Its the DP were the gains are.
There is only a handful of us with the Blueflame at the moment and none have been on the rollers yet against a Milly to compare.
The blue flame looks to have more free flowing design on the DP but time will tell. And the Blue flame also does away with the huge rear silencer that the Milly has and standard back box has.
You cant go wrong with eitheri think. I am happy with my blueflame, though it is loud when pushing on, and the milltek is the market leader, so they must be doing something right.  :happy2:

Offline Mark_GTIV

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 10:25:15 am »
HP is vanity... torque is sanity :D (At least thats what the diesel boys say  :mad: )

The stage 2 will impress because of the change of feel - the car will feel more muscular on lighter throttle openings. The amount of torque the car produces is alot higher in stage 2 - infact if you look at the HP/Torque curves from people's rolling road results, its positively a plateau which comes in lower down the rev range.

Of course, it's not so kind on your gear box, differential or CV joints  :surprised: