Make a donation

Author Topic: Blueflame full system noise levels...  (Read 3374 times)

Offline true-blue

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 3
Blueflame full system noise levels...
« on: May 25, 2009, 11:47:29 am »
Quick question for those that have been living with the blueflame turbo-back 3'' downpipe and sports cat systemfor a couple of months now.....

Just how noisy is it when driving normally?  Ie if I'm either pootling around in 'drive' or cruising at 50/60/70/80/90 in 6th on A roads and the motorway.

My car is my daily driver and whilst I like a big deep burble, I don't want bleeding ears when not pressing on as I'm out and about quite a lot and don't blat it when doing business mileage.

I'm looking for really honest feedback here as I don't want to make an expensive mistake.

Octavia Vrs MKII - KO4, forge twintercooler, S3 Injectors, APR HPFP, RS4 FP Valve, Pipeworx 3'' DP and Sports cat, Piper non res exhuast, ITG Maxogen, Quaife Dif, sachs clutch kit, NQSBBBK with RS4-2 pads, H&R SS Coilovers with adjustable koni inserts.
Good for 328 BHP on JKM's rollers !!

Offline Rich

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
Re: Blueflame full system noise levels...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 03:10:46 pm »
IM assuming this is non-reasonated?

Its very loud, and driving around noramally it would really do my head in.

Me personally would stay away from it.

I'd go for resonated which has the loud kick when you floor it... and has a nice quiet rumble when your just cruising.

non reasonated is just a mad roar all the time  :mad: :mad: :mad: :sick:
~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 03:42:14 pm »
Non res milltek would be my choice tbh, from cat back to keep the noise level to a reasonable level. Havent tbh heard one of these blue flames but im guessing these are louder which some people prefer.

mine sounds simular to stock untill you hit the gas, then it sounds great.
If you after gains in bhp rather then looks with sound, then get a resonated system with Downpipe with either of the two Brands mentioned.
If you can come along to superchips on the 6th, then all types will be there so you can make your own asumption.  :smiley:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 04:12:19 pm »
Trust me guys you would not believe how chilled out the system is when just driving normal  :surprised: and it does not drone at all due too a little res pipe just after the cat as there is no back box on the system as such  :laugh: but give it some right foot  :evilgrin: its the only true full 3"" system about as the milltek go down to 2.75 so are not 3"" all the way and have a massive back box on them too. All i can say is every time i go to VWR the comment on how nice the system sounds  :evilgrin: i wont buy milltek again even though its an awesome system its just i dont like to follow the crowd  :P

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline true-blue

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 04:43:48 pm »
Trust me guys you would not believe how chilled out the system is when just driving normal  :surprised: and it does not drone at all due too a little res pipe just after the cat as there is no back box on the system as such  :laugh: but give it some right foot  :evilgrin: its the only true full 3"" system about as the milltek go down to 2.75 so are not 3"" all the way and have a massive back box on them too. All i can say is every time i go to VWR the comment on how nice the system sounds  :evilgrin: i wont buy milltek again even though its an awesome system its just i dont like to follow the crowd  :P

When you say it doesn't drone at all, are you saying it's civilised on the motorway (honestly)?

I don't mind noise when using the  loud pedal in anger but need something quiet(ish) under normal steady use.

I'm considering telling the Mrs that the Cat's shot and it's cheaper to buy a whole system with a lifetime guarantee than a new Cat from VW  :wink:
Octavia Vrs MKII - KO4, forge twintercooler, S3 Injectors, APR HPFP, RS4 FP Valve, Pipeworx 3'' DP and Sports cat, Piper non res exhuast, ITG Maxogen, Quaife Dif, sachs clutch kit, NQSBBBK with RS4-2 pads, H&R SS Coilovers with adjustable koni inserts.
Good for 328 BHP on JKM's rollers !!

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 04:46:33 pm »
i ahve to say, it is awsome, plant it and its one of the best four pots i have heard!!! motorway can hardly hear it!! spot on.
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 05:03:30 pm »
I can't comment on the Blueflame but I can from a Milltek perspective.

I ran with the standard exhaust for 4 months and it was a little too quiet. I then ran a cat back non-res for a week and while it was good fun was very loud and droned badly at around 3k. A weel was enough time to find a res centre section which was duly fitted. It was a bit quieter than standard if I am honest but no boom at all.

After a month or so I acquired a Milltek downpipe and cat which once added (including a new centre section as it was fecked) gave me back some of the burble and rasp at the high end that I was looking for.

It is now very nice and unobtrusive when cruising but with a nice rasp at the top end when pressing on. Of all the combinations it is the one I like the best.

Hope that helps.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 06:22:03 pm »
I have a similar experience to Hedge. I was told the Non-res Milltek could be boomy and avoided it and went for the Full TBE resonated Milltek. I love the fact that it is unobtrusive up to around 5k revs and then just changes to a great rich sound up to the redline. I have also heard the Blueflame exhaust and it does have a really great deep burble and is louder than mine at the top end. At motorway speeds I just haven't followed anyone with a Blueflame so cannot comment.

Blueflame is a great exhaust, but I'm "relatively" happy with my Milltek apart from the odd creaking I sometimes get from the cat and so wouldn't swap mine. :smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 06:27:58 pm »
^^^ I also echo the comments of the Hedge and Hurdy about the Non-res and Res Milltek.

I also started with the TBE Non-res and for all the Mway miles I do I just couldn't live with it so found a res section and stuck that on myself.

Now it has a few thousand miles on it I couldn't be happier and sounds even better with new remap as well  :driver:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 06:57:54 pm »

I'm now running a new version Milltek - Still TBE 2.75" downpipe but different elsewhere.

I'm shortly writing and posting a review. But for now I'll just say it's ultra deep sounding and with no hint of drone/boom.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 07:32:19 pm »
Ive never had the Downpipe with my Cat back milltek, when it was new at around 3000rpm in 6th, the exhaust did have a slight boom to it, but now with several few thousand miles down the line, the boom has gone completely, perhaps its a characteristic of having the downpipe with this setup makes it too loud to bear with for some.
Sounds like the perfect Milltek setup without being too loud would be TBE resonated which will see slight performance gains, and echo what Hurdy has said as to what the blueflame would sound like as it doesnt have a rear silencer unlike the milly, so can only be a louder system. Looking foward to the 6th June at Superchips to see/ hear one.
To get a real good idea about modding your Edition30, it will be the place to be, and be able to chat with all about their thoughts and experiances. Will be a Great day to remember.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 07:42:04 pm by Phil Mcavity »

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 10:52:27 pm »
Echo Phil, with the standard DP and non res, I didn't hear a peep out of it on the motorway... now it's a lot different.

Tunnelage... *sound is very quiet, so turn right up.

Sideways yo!