Make a donation

Author Topic: Armrest info needed  (Read 1133 times)

Offline bm_99

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Armrest info needed
« on: June 25, 2012, 09:30:45 am »
Hey people, ive got a 2006 '06' plate mk5 gt tdi but without the interior armest and after driving my mates mk4 for a bit i need one of these lol

Basically what do i need to fit one, already tried vw think they said something like £350-£400 just for the kit lol.

Would any of the ebay jobs work fine?, would really like the ones with vents aswell and cup holders, and do they all come like this or are there different types available?

cheers

Offline brookesb32

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 75
Re: Armrest info needed
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 09:38:39 pm »
Hey people, ive got a 2006 '06' plate mk5 gt tdi but without the interior armest and after driving my mates mk4 for a bit i need one of these lol

Basically what do i need to fit one, already tried vw think they said something like £350-£400 just for the kit lol.

Would any of the ebay jobs work fine?, would really like the ones with vents aswell and cup holders, and do they all come like this or are there different types available?

cheers

Right so I wouldn't touch the eBay jobs - go for genuine every time. They are easy to fit and look far better. You can use mk5, mk6 or scirocco ones (the plastic and the cloth can be slightly different - mine is from a mk6 and cloth is a little darker but not enough to bother me)

As for the vents, most tend to come with vents, but not all. For the vents to work you need a pipe that goes under the armrest and another that goes from the front of the armrest under the centre console - I just didn't bother with mine, too much effort for not much (in my opinion) gain.

Cup holder wise, these tend to be quite rare as can get broken. They are £50 from the dealers (there are 2 or 3 parts you need) or you can just buy a little storage cubbie that goes in the cup holders place - £17 from the dealers. I put one in mine, I think the pics are still on the site somewhere.

Then there are different configurations for the interior of the armrest. Some just have a large storage hole, others have space for a cd changer, ipod dock or MDI unit. All of these would need extra wiring. There is also an aux in on the front of some.

Basically any of these work so personal preference. I just bough the one I could afford. If you can get on for £120 or less yo have done well, especially if is fully complete :)

Edit: forgot to mention, the mk6 version from the dealers is £170 I believe. It comes as one option unlike the mk5 which was a kit - hence the cost you mention due to lots of individual parts added together
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 10:13:51 pm by brookesb32 »
VCDS cable HEX-USB+CAN. New but can do the basics including coding

Offline Pashka

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
Re: Armrest info needed
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 04:58:19 am »
Don't forget to match plastic finish before buying. I would choose a used one, bought one for 50 pounds, 170 too much for plastic bag. Installation is  easy, just the back part with vents, has two clips, these was cracked on mine, so had to use some glue.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 05:00:32 am by Pashka »
06 1.9 TDI Owner. Retrofits: Bixenons, Drls, Full GT/GTI exterior, RNS510+MDI+Premium Bluetooth+RVC+OPS, Full Fis, MFSW, Cruise control, TPMS, Polar Fis, Boot pop up and more.. :)
Coding, diagnostic and retrofits in Leeds
Pre coded Can Gateways for battery drain issues with RNS510 and similar headunits
Premium Bluetooth modules/kit
RNS510 Service - codes, maps/firmware updates
Latest V8 West EU maps update service for RNS315