Make a donation

Author Topic: Injector cleaners??  (Read 3493 times)

Offline Pintman

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Injector cleaners??
« on: May 25, 2009, 05:56:44 pm »
Hi all,

I am thinking of buying some fuel additive to clean the injectors to see if my mpg comes up a little as it's dropped recently.  My car is an '06 GTi with ~45k on the clock so I thought I'd give the cleaner a go. 

Question is which one do I use?.  Went into Halfrauds today and there were a few on the shelf, Redex fuel system cleaner, Slick 50, STP and Wynns just to name a few.  I did a search on the internet regarding this and apparently VAG do an injector cleaner (p/n  G 001 700 03)  However this was on a message dated 2001 so the chances that is exists now are probably pretty slim.

Has anybody used either of these cleaners and could give any recommendations, as I am a little lost as to which one to buy.

Cheers 
Phil

Offline 08micsta

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 63
  • Smart Fortwo 600cc
    • Email
Re: Injector cleaners??
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 06:15:16 pm »
Hello Mate

Try get your hands on the Liqui Moly Injector Cleaner. I stock it.

Its TUV approved which means it works and has VW approval something that most other cleaners dont. Its made in Germany and works very well.

Mike
No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline john_o

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
Re: Injector cleaners??
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 10:13:36 pm »
tbh using a good quality fuel  means you shouldnt have an issue that needs it. Its not going to hurt though.
Ive used STP before which was fine.
If your mpg has dropped or youve noticed a performance dropoff then itd be worth a full diagnostic and checkup all is ok.
air filter etc. dv ok . tyre pressures ok. Sometimes its also good to give the car a full thrash if you normally drive slowly.
worth maybe gettting your fuel filter changed too at 45k.
Keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse.

Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD