Make a donation

Author Topic: Ian's Laser Blue GTi ***New Pics***  (Read 20814 times)

Offline EckReid

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Ian's Laser Blue K03 GTi *UPDATE* Gone REVO!!
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2012, 06:00:03 pm »
^^^^
Surely smooooth is a good thing.

I agree but only from what I've read.

Smoother is better but from personal experience, it's nothing to do with what the graph from a dyno run emits and more to do with driver satisfaction.

I prefer a kick in the back from larger torque figures. But that's just me  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2012, 06:04:23 pm »
^^^^
I can totally understand the thrill of a kick in the back but too high torque can be an engine and gearbox killer unless the car is originally designed for it.

Smooth driveability wins every time, in my opinion - It doesn't mean your car is slow.  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline EckReid

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2012, 07:47:58 am »
^^^^
I can totally understand the thrill of a kick in the back but too high torque can be an engine and gearbox killer unless the car is originally designed for it.

Smooth driveability wins every time, in my opinion - It doesn't mean your car is slow.  :happy2:

Very true, trying to get the right balance between 'kick in the back' and 'oh f**k there goes the other half of my drive shaft' is a tough one.

Depends on the reliability you need also, I guess.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2012, 09:07:30 am »

Very true, trying to get the right balance between 'kick in the back' and 'oh f**k there goes the other half of my drive shaft' is a tough one.

Depends on the reliability you need also, I guess.

....As close to 100% reliability as possible is my preference. Otherwise it becomes both expensive and inconvenient. AXX+K03 with +40% headroom is why I have kept my remap under 280 bhp and not wanted to convert to AXX+K04. So far, 103,000 miles of reliability except early Mechatronics hiccup and turbo wastegate crack.

My driver satisfaction has a very large dollop of confidence in reliability. It isn't exactly dull to drive!

I don't know if Ian will succumb to the temptation of Stage2 or a K04 conversion. His car looks great in the flesh and he looks very happy with it:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline EckReid

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2012, 10:50:01 am »
If we were all the same it would be boring and forums (of any kind) wouldn't last past 1 month.

I am 100% behind the view that if it's your car, it's your choices. Just a bit of advice is required sometimes.

Reliability isn't a big part of my car choosing decisions I'll admit.

Anyway, spamming over.

Any more imminent plans for this one Ian?

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2012, 08:12:55 am »
^^ great figures Ian  :happy2:

Looking forward to seeing how it goes at JKM next month  :smiley: - you should have similar mods to mine now (K&N panel filter??)

Graeme

I went for a Pipercross panel filter actually Graeme. I read on here that it's a dry filter and does not interfere with the MAF meter as the K&N one can. Don't know if thats really true or not but thought I'd follow advice just in case.

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2012, 08:18:56 am »
If we were all the same it would be boring and forums (of any kind) wouldn't last past 1 month.

I am 100% behind the view that if it's your car, it's your choices. Just a bit of advice is required sometimes.

Anyway, spamming over.

The next thing is stainless steel cat back exhaust, upgraded fuel pump and brakes and Stage 2 Revo. Saving up for this at the moment. I'm also stopping there in terms of power, as I am following Robin's advice on reliabilityand staying within safe boundaries.

Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline EckReid

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2012, 11:36:30 am »

Anyway, spamming over.

The next thing is stainless steel cat back exhaust, upgraded fuel pump and brakes and Stage 2 Revo. Saving up for this at the moment. I'm also stopping there in terms of power, as I am following Robin's advice on reliabilityand staying within safe boundaries.

Nice one. I am positive you will love stage2. Yeah, the power you will likely get from the above is perfect for some fast road action with out being too strenuous on other components. Have you heard a few different exhausts to help you make your mind up on which would be right for you?

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2012, 12:09:03 pm »
^^ great figures Ian  :happy2:

Looking forward to seeing how it goes at JKM next month  :smiley: - you should have similar mods to mine now (K&N panel filter??)

Graeme

I went for a Pipercross panel filter actually Graeme. I read on here that it's a dry filter and does not interfere with the MAF meter as the K&N one can. Don't know if thats really true or not but thought I'd follow advice just in case.

Ah right. I think the pipercross is a wet filter (IIRC ITG are the only dry ones) but they use thir own type of "oil". I'd be tempted to try I Pipercross to see if it makes any difference. Here's one for a golf TDI which mentiones the requirement to re-oil:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pipercross-PP1621-VW-Golf-Mk5-2-0-TDi-140bhp-Performance-Panel-Air-Filter-/110930240662

I think the only problems people have had with K&N filters is where they have been over-oiled.

http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/MAFTestresults.htm

Stage 2 is a sensible stopping point  :happy2: you get the drivability without eating into the headroom  :smiley:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 12:21:10 pm by GrayMK5GTI »
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2012, 02:41:09 pm »
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I stand corrected Graeme.

This is the oil and cleaning kit required:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pipercross-Panel-Air-Filter-Cleaner-Induction-Cleaning-Kit-C9000-75mm-Aerosol-/110922123886?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19d3794a6e

I wonder how often it's supposed to be cleaned?  :confused:

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2012, 05:23:32 am »
Because of my recent accident, I won't be modding for a while, as I'm self-employed with no money coming in for 3 months. I'm dropping my pride and going on housing benefit to pay the mortgage for the next 3 months, but I guess that's what it's there for; to help people in time of trouble, not just keep a roof over the heads of dossers who can't be arsed to get a job. After all, I've paid tax and NI all my life.

So, I reckon I'll be staying where I am at Stage 1 until April 2013. I'm thrilled with the car as it is anyyway, with 253bhp & 295 torques, it's no slouch, and I love the look of it at the moment.

However, I'll be back on the slippery slope ASAP, and here's what I'm planning:

April - August 2013

Brand new APR Fuel Pump
BCS Powervalve Prestige full TBE system
REVO Stage 2 by Storm Developments
Brake upgrade NQSBBK
Eibach springs
Bilstein shocks
Gloss Black wing mirrors to match gloss black trim on door pillars
Possibly Gloss black roof?

I'd love to know what you think of my mods, in particular the roof!

Anyway, here's one little mod I did: Getting my brilliant tuners Storm Developments on the car. It's in black so it goes with the black and laser blue colour scheme, and quite subtle I think.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 05:28:16 am by Mk5 GTian »

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2012, 08:18:40 am »
Why not consider the LOBA HPFP?
It's equally priced to the APR  :happy2:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2012, 08:18:51 am »
Noooo, dont paint the roof. thats a lovely colour car you have there, never seen a gti in that colour in the flesh  :drool:

Hope you feel better soon  :happy2:
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2012, 08:43:10 am »
^^^^
Absolutely nothing wrong in going on State Benefits etc - It's there to help as you say. I lost a 6-figure sum last year and am on Benefits - Don't let anyone make you feel you're a sponger either, they have probably never experienced hardship themselves although I agree that there are plenty of spongers as well as genuine cases and those are the ones we all hear about in the media. Visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau to be given confidential advice about which other benefits you may be able to legitimately claim - Council Tax for example? Even if it's only for a few months it's what you need to get through. If you have already spent your savings on mods, you may qualify!

For what it's worth, my opinion about a black roof is that it would be 'gilding the lily' (too much) on your colour car and the blackness she already has.

Instead, I would consider aftermarket Ant-Roll Bars to help your suspension package and your more powerful brakes (ARB's reduce nose dive under hard braking).

Glad to see you feeling well enough to write occasionally  :happy2: but don't overdo it - Healing needs rest and time.

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2012, 09:08:43 am »
^^^^
Absolutely nothing wrong in going on State Benefits etc - It's there to help as you say. I lost a 6-figure sum last year and am on Benefits - Don't let anyone make you feel you're a sponger either, they have probably never experienced hardship themselves although I agree that there are plenty of spongers as well as genuine cases and those are the ones we all hear about in the media. Visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau to be given confidential advice about which other benefits you may be able to legitimately claim - Council Tax for example? Even if it's only for a few months it's what you need to get through. If you have already spent your savings on mods, you may qualify!

For what it's worth, my opinion about a black roof is that it would be 'gilding the lily' (too much) on your colour car and the blackness she already has.

Instead, I would consider aftermarket Ant-Roll Bars to help your suspension package and your more powerful brakes (ARB's reduce nose dive under hard braking).

Glad to see you feeling well enough to write occasionally  :happy2: but don't overdo it - Healing needs rest and time.

I'm sorry RedRobin, but how would an uprated ARB reduce nose dive??  :confused:

Over the top mod list ;o)