Make a donation

Author Topic: Ian's Laser Blue GTi ***New Pics***  (Read 20804 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Ian's Laser Blue K03 GTi *UPDATE* Gone REVO!!
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2012, 09:17:00 am »
I'm sorry RedRobin, but how would an uprated ARB reduce nose dive??

....Well I remember that it immediately did when I fitted Eibach ARB's to mine way back in 2006.

If I'm wrong, what else will have reduced my nose-dive? The KoniFSD's I had then? Nose-dive isn't that heavy on a stock Mk5 GTI but it is there.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2012, 09:39:34 am »
I'm sorry RedRobin, but how would an uprated ARB reduce nose dive??

....Well I remember that it immediately did when I fitted Eibach ARB's to mine way back in 2006.

If I'm wrong, what else will have reduced my nose-dive? The KoniFSD's I had then? Nose-dive isn't that heavy on a stock Mk5 GTI but it is there.

your arb is fixed to each lower part of the suspension and assuming you don't turn while breaking heavily they will move similar in relation to the body so it will do nothing to minimize the nose dive, only your Koni's can have that effect when compared to what setup you had before.  :happy2:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2012, 09:51:51 am »
^^^^
Never a good idea to turn while braking heavily.

Then I stand corrected  :happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2012, 06:14:54 am »
^^^^
Absolutely nothing wrong in going on State Benefits etc - It's there to help as you say. I lost a 6-figure sum last year and am on Benefits - Don't let anyone make you feel you're a sponger either, they have probably never experienced hardship themselves although I agree that there are plenty of spongers as well as genuine cases and those are the ones we all hear about in the media. Visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau to be given confidential advice about which other benefits you may be able to legitimately claim - Council Tax for example? Even if it's only for a few months it's what you need to get through. If you have already spent your savings on mods, you may qualify!

For what it's worth, my opinion about a black roof is that it would be 'gilding the lily' (too much) on your colour car and the blackness she already has.

Instead, I would consider aftermarket Ant-Roll Bars to help your suspension package and your more powerful brakes (ARB's reduce nose dive under hard braking).

Glad to see you feeling well enough to write occasionally  :happy2: but don't overdo it - Healing needs rest and time.

Thank you for  your kind words as usual Robin. I am going to go on state benefits. I have overcome my pride, and their is no shame in it. I have contributed all my life in tax and NI, so now I need some help back..

Ok, I'll leave the roof alone, but what about the wing mirrors? would you leave those alone as well? I will take tyour advice and add uprated ARB's to my long list! Which do you currently recommend? God, I am going to be spending a fortune next year at this rate! All good fun and games though eh?!  :happy2: :laugh:

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline Sie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2012, 07:05:33 am »
I've got a laser blue golf, I change my indicators to the dark Inpro ones and had my mirror covers painted black at the same time looks the part IMO, will try get a pic up for you.

Simon
Fettled Laser Blue '05 GTi 5dr

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2012, 09:02:16 am »

Ok, I'll leave the roof alone, but what about the wing mirrors? would you leave those alone as well? I will take tyour advice and add uprated ARB's to my long list! Which do you currently recommend? God, I am going to be spending a fortune next year at this rate! All good fun and games though eh?!  :happy2: :laugh:

....I wouldn't always take my advice, Ian! I'm already wrong about the ARB's  :ashamed: - It'll be the shocks and springs which help cure any nose-dive. But I will say that ARB's add benefits (of the non State variety) to the suspension but it's all money you don't currently have so surely not a priority.

I think that black wing mirrors will suit your car very well but it has to be what you like best and not what I would prefer on a blue GTI.

I'm glad the brain is working, Ian!

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2012, 11:43:12 am »
As Robin says a arb can transform you car's way to drive. Depending how you prefer the car to drive, you can change it from understeer over neutral to oversteer by adding a rear arb and adjust it's stiffness.
The front isn't worth changing unless you track the car IMO  :smiley:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2012, 11:46:40 am »
I'd recomend doing the springs first (for either coilovers or just lowering springs) as this will improve body roll (forward and back and side to side) as well as lower the centre of gravity. Plus it looks  8)

Then see where you want to go from there . . . .  :happy2:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2012, 06:32:04 am »

....I wouldn't always take my advice, Ian! I'm already wrong about the ARB's  :ashamed: - It'll be the shocks and springs which help cure any nose-dive. But I will say that ARB's add benefits (of the non State variety) to the suspension but it's all money you don't currently have so surely not a priority.

I think that black wing mirrors will suit your car very well but it has to be what you like best and not what I would prefer on a blue GTI.

I'm glad the brain is working, Ian!

No, I won't be spending a penny until April, back at work in January hopefully. I also think black gloss wing-mirrors will really work, and ARB's are WELL down the bottom of my long list. Can't wait to start earning again, so the modding can continue!

Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2012, 06:33:52 am »
I'd recomend doing the springs first (for either coilovers or just lowering springs) as this will improve body roll (forward and back and side to side) as well as lower the centre of gravity. Plus it looks  8)

Would you not do the shocks at the same time Graeme?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2012, 08:49:27 am »

....Just so you know, if you ever do ARB's, then fitting them in the same workshop session as springs/shocks/coilovers saves labour and is much easier with the shocks etc off.

I guess that if you don't ever drive hard through the twisties etc (so many great roads like that around my neck of the woods), then ARB's won't offer you much benefit. Once you get your head into handling mods you'll be considering UNIbraces!

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2012, 04:28:25 pm »

If you are going for updated shocks then yes  :happy2:

Although IIRC yours has a few miles on it now (90k ish??), I'd recommend changing the shocks anyway as the lowering springs will put a bit more strain on them and they would probably start making noises after a short time. . .
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline SRC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2012, 10:08:37 pm »
As a big fan of what you've done to your car so far, can I put a spanner in the works? 

I personally think a black roof works well on a car with a sunroof.  It should also visually lower the car by drawing the eye down to the remaining blue paintwork.  Is there a photoshop whizz on the forum who could give us an idea?

Hope the recovery is going well, but don't be disheartened if it takes longer than you'd like.  It's more important to keep taking small steps forward than risk a big slide back.

Shadow blue DSG 5 door with leather, sunroof, 18" Monzas, MFSW. 
Full list of mods:  Seat inserts and a VW bottle opener.  Each worth 20bhp.

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2012, 10:31:38 pm »
As a big fan of what you've done to your car so far, can I put a spanner in the works? 

I personally think a black roof works well on a car with a sunroof.  It should also visually lower the car by drawing the eye down to the remaining blue paintwork.  Is there a photoshop whizz on the forum who could give us an idea?

Hope the recovery is going well, but don't be disheartened if it takes longer than you'd like.  It's more important to keep taking small steps forward than risk a big slide back.

Thanks a lot SRC. A photoshop would be interesting to look at with a black roof, if anyone can be ars*d!

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2012, 09:19:40 am »

Having looked at my finances after 3 months off (grim!), I should be able to  continue modding in April. It's been so frustrating not being able to earn to mod!

After yesterday's Revo revelation (so happy with the power now) I've decided to concentrate on the handling and stopping!

So come April I should be ready for NQSBBK & the Bilstein B12 Pro kit with Eibach springs. I'm going to take Graeme's advice and look into doing the ARB's at the same time to save labour.

I've updated my build plans on the front page of this thread showing how I slowly build upover the summer towards Stage 2 or 2+. I'd welcome any comments, either positive or on things or opportunities I've missed! I've cancelled my summer holiday to help pay for it all!  :signLOL: