Make a donation

Author Topic: VW centre cap corrosion  (Read 9186 times)

Offline andygo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
VW centre cap corrosion
« on: June 26, 2012, 03:37:59 pm »
Has anyone had any success getting the flaky (literally) VW centre caps replaced under warranty?

I rang up a vw dealer to be told the corrosion warranty only applies to paintwork and not centre caps? Not sure if thats correct, but I guess I need to arm myself with a few facts first.

I have an 07 ED30 with 40k on the clock, the rest of the car is pristine. (Lucky me!)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: VW centre cap corrosion
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 03:41:20 pm »
Nope.

I know of no-one who has been successful and many have tried.

How plastic corrodes like that is beyond me. But why VW etc buy wheels from BBS which easily get white worm is even further beyond my comprehension  :stupid:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline andygo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 03:51:03 pm »

This is taken from VW's warranty conditions:

Depends if you view the wheel caps as part of the bodywork.

Body protection warranty

All current Volkswagen vehicles are fully protected during manufacture against through corrosion for 12 years from the date of first registration (6 years for the Sharan models).

The only preconditions are:

The defect must be reported to a member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network as soon as it is discovered and within the warranty period.
    The perforation must not have been caused originally by damage, neglect, insufficient care or maintenance or by external rusting.
    A member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network must be advised about any rusting as soon as it is found.
    All body repairs will be carried out promptly in accordance with the manufacturer's specification and procedures, using only approved parts and materials, so the original level of anti-corrosion protection is maintained.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 03:56:33 pm »
^^^^
Yes, the factory supplied wheels (of which the centre cap will be included) are not part of the bodywork/paint warranty.

Under that quoted warranty statement, surely the wheel arch rust issues should be 100% paid for by VW and not 70% as in some cases.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline andygo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 04:04:25 pm »
I can see no reason why it shouldn't be 100% paid for by VW.

If you buy a pair of shoes that fall apart, you don't have to contribute to their repair..

On the centre cap issue, I think they are liable. Would they say wheels aren't covered as well? I can guess the answer, but what about rusting wiper arms for instance?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 04:18:50 pm »

I can see no reason why it shouldn't be 100% paid for by VW.

If you buy a pair of shoes that fall apart, you don't have to contribute to their repair..

On the centre cap issue, I think they are liable. Would they say wheels aren't covered as well? I can guess the answer, but what about rusting wiper arms for instance?

....I agree but there are plenty of reported cases on this forum of VW dealers saying they will only pay 70% for the wheel arch rust issue in spite of there being a VW PDF document about the issue.

In my experience, there's a big factor of how good your relationship is with your dealer. A good dealer wants to help you as a customer all they can. But if you are an arsehole and treat them with no respect, then......   What goes around comes around.

Offline AlanEdition30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 05:52:40 pm »
My local dealer gave me four new vw centre caps for free  :congrats: I just mentioned they had corroded when booking the car in for a service.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 06:16:14 pm »

My local dealer gave me four new vw centre caps for free  :congrats: I just mentioned they had corroded when booking the car in for a service.

....Mine did too but a friend who works with carbonfibre made me some some carbon ones.

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 10:25:10 pm »
I had all four of my corroding centre caps replaced under warranty by Listers of Stratford upon Avon.  I went to my local dealer hoping to get a few bits done under warranty but they refused and wouldn't even come outside and look at my car.  I turned on my heels and went 15 miles up the road to Listers instead who sat me down, made me a cup of tea, put the car straight into the workshop for a quick inspection and then agreed to all of my requests no questions asked.   My advice would be to try a different dealer if you get no joy with the other.   My local dealer got zero trade from me after that despite me being a customer of theirs for the previous 6 years. 

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 10:42:15 pm »
all my centre caps have that white crap, as well as my boot-lift thingamejiggy, my car is 7 years old, i just always assumed VW wouldn't replace under warranty, more fool me probably!! Anyone know how much they all are to replace  if i'm feeling flush??

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 10:43:40 pm »
^^^^
IIRC, centre caps cost about £5 each.

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 10:45:34 pm »
£7.50 now  :sad1:

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 10:50:06 pm »
cheers, and i'm assuming easy to fit?? How about the boot-lid? :confused:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 11:16:10 pm »

cheers, and i'm assuming easy to fit?? How about the boot-lid? :confused:

....The centre caps simply snap in and out (and can easily be nicked). The boot lid badge is easy I'm told but involves screws.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 11:23:49 pm »
all my centre caps have that white crap, as well as my boot-lift thingamejiggy, my car is 7 years old, i just always assumed VW wouldn't replace under warranty, more fool me probably!! Anyone know how much they all are to replace  if i'm feeling flush??

Paid £28 about a month ago for set of 4 centre caps from VW main dealer, didnt even think about asking about warranty!!  :sad1:

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~