Make a donation

Author Topic: VW centre cap corrosion  (Read 9187 times)

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 15
Re: VW centre cap corrosion
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 11:24:00 pm »
any wonder then why they haven't nicked mine!!  :signLOL:

Offline JigBake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 08:51:09 am »
I think i paid about £26 for my new centre caps. Theres a new part number for the new design. VW promise them to be white worm free. If they have redesigned them, then that is basically admitting fault with the original design. Oh well. The newer style has part no. 7D0601165BXF. I have only had mine on for a couple of months yet, so its still early days to say whether the are resistant.

Offline AlanEdition30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 05:23:00 pm »
Yeah as above, i was told the new centre caps were a new design and the white worm shouldn't reappear. Its been over a year and no sign of white worm yet  :pomppomp:

As i mentioned before i got these changed for free. Perhaps mention the 'new design' if the dealer wont change them for free  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 05:28:15 pm »
^^^^
Do these 'new design' caps look any different?

Do they have a different part #?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline stu_no_1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 09:49:04 pm »
i bought new centre caps just over a year ago and i took my wheels off my car about 6 months after fitting the caps the wheels sat in my garage for i while and when i took them out the garage a month or so ago the caps were all white worm so im guessing the new design is not very good

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 10:37:05 pm »
^^^^ well that sounds about right!! Got told the ones I bought would be fine, time will tell I suppose!! Oh when, oh when will BBS make some caps to fit my Pescara's  :sad1:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline andygo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 11:00:26 pm »
I was at my local retard dealers about another matter today ( about my service history - another story!) and asked about the centre caps.

Was told they were not covered, but they would do a 10% discount which worked out at £30 for 4.

Blamed the corrosion on stonechips to the caps followed by where'll cleaner fluid not being rinsed properly....

Just how thick d VW think people are?

Actually, seeing how much folk pay for stuff, I can see their point!

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 01:02:48 pm »
So they gave you a 10% discount to make them the £7.50 each i paid for one a few weeks back with no discount  :signLOL:

They aint called stealers for nowt  :laugh:

Offline Starshaped

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 08:20:30 pm »
I think i paid about £26 for my new centre caps. Theres a new part number for the new design. VW promise them to be white worm free. If they have redesigned them, then that is basically admitting fault with the original design. Oh well. The newer style has part no. 7D0601165BXF. I have only had mine on for a couple of months yet, so its still early days to say whether the are resistant.

Monza centre caps are 3B7601171XRW,what wheels do you have?

Offline JigBake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 09:41:06 pm »

Monza centre caps are 3B7601171XRW,what wheels do you have?

I have Pescara's. They have the same sized centre cap and design as the Monza's. When I purchased my new ones I compared them with my original centre caps from my Detroit's and visually they were identical. The part number I gave was for the revised, most recent design. It is strange that the part numbers are not even similar though.

Offline Starshaped

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 11:36:55 pm »
They only changed the last 3 digits,the part number has always been 3b7601171 but when they modified them the code on the end changed,cant remember what it was before though.  Those 7d0 ones have a metal ring around the inside of them if im not mistaken? and fit old Passats and Transporters

Offline laserblue999

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2012, 11:51:37 pm »
Pretty sure the 'XRW' ones are the newer types. Following reasearch I bought three from stealer in October whilst my Monza 2's were being refurbed. One of the older ones on the car was fine - paid about £21 for the three. As for differences the 2mm outer ring in the newer ones are clearly black whereas on the single old one I have is a kind of dark grey. Not enough of a difference to make me change it though.

So far been used in all weathers since Oct and no white worm - both new and old mind.
'05 GTI - laser blue, 5dr, DSG, blue glass, heated leather, highline, cruise, sat nav, 10 speaker stereo,MFSW, xenons, 18" Monza, puddle lights, Ipod, retractable mirrors, factory tints, winter/summer mats, bootmat, luggage net, mudflaps, tailored blinds, x-tec plate leds - always looking for more OEM options.......pretending the pikey paddles are OEM+!!

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2012, 02:14:28 pm »
I just bought 4 new Pirelli ones ~£60  :sick:
Mines an 09 car, didn't think to ask re warranty.

Gone but not forgotten :-)