Make a donation

Author Topic: Okada Projects. Plasma Direct ignition coils.  (Read 58012 times)

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Re: Okada Projects. Plasma Direct ignition coils.
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2012, 02:54:52 pm »
Carl and Hedge, as usual you are being very narrow minded about this. You are completey missing out the fact that they look very nice, and the price is not for 1, but 4 nice looking coils.  :pomppomp:

I'm afraid it's you that is being narrow minded Mr Cat. I'm actually thinking outside the box as my wife has loads of this so i can make my OEM ones look a lot nicer AND change the styling as often as i like  :P

They even have Pink just for you :grin:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2012, 07:23:09 pm »
I can see why people are dubious about the benefits of these coilpacks on the 2.0 TFSI but on the 1.4 TSI they are a very important part of surpressing possible misfires and making higher power without the fear of misfires.

On the higher powered cars these should allow cutting back ignition without reducing power and should make sure the engine doesn't pull timing as much too.

I can see how people think of these as snake-oil, but in the right applications they aren't. For anyone at stage 2+ or above you should seriously think of these as not just a power mod, but a mod to preserve the condition of the engine and to be able to run a wider range of settings without inducing timing pull. :smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2012, 07:26:37 pm »
I still want to see Dyno proof that they make the difference they claim.

Offline TT-Turbo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2012, 08:57:59 pm »
I can see why people are dubious about the benefits of these coilpacks on the 2.0 TFSI but on the 1.4 TSI they are a very important part of surpressing possible misfires and making higher power without the fear of misfires.

On the higher powered cars these should allow cutting back ignition without reducing power and should make sure the engine doesn't pull timing as much too.

I can see how people think of these as snake-oil, but in the right applications they aren't. For anyone at stage 2+ or above you should seriously think of these as not just a power mod, but a mod to preserve the condition of the engine and to be able to run a wider range of settings without inducing timing pull. :smiley:

Couldn't agree with your more.

I still want to see Dyno proof that they make the difference they claim.

That's fair enough and no one is forcing you into a decision either way on this product. When I have tested these I will post up the results, the potential benefits have been spoken about and then can be discussed after testing to see what the outcome is. I have offered to test these out on other members cars so you can see for yourself the outcome. Hopefully I will be getting down to the dyno in the next coming weeks and should have some information with regards to the 2.0tfsi engine.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2012, 09:00:24 pm »

My car's going nowhere Dan so whenever suits you / Alex / Keith it will be available for testing.  If possible before 1 Sept would be better for me as I have a better chance of being able to get down to the dyno in person  :happy2:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2012, 09:02:54 pm »
Hopefully I will be getting down to the dyno in the next coming weeks and should have some information with regards to the 2.0tfsi engine.

Are you able to get some results on a 2.0TSi?

Offline TT-Turbo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2012, 09:03:32 pm »

My car's going nowhere Dan so whenever suits you / Alex / Keith it will be available for testing.  If possible before 1 Sept would be better for me as I have a better chance of being able to get down to the dyno in person  :happy2:

Excellent, well it would be good to meet you in person so I will make the near 300 mile trip up to see you and the Cupra! I may be in the general area in 2-3 weeks time before sept the 1st so will keep you posted on that one  :happy2:

Offline TT-Turbo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2012, 09:06:30 pm »
Hopefully I will be getting down to the dyno in the next coming weeks and should have some information with regards to the 2.0tfsi engine.

Are you able to get some results on a 2.0TSi?

Well at the moment the only cars to my disposal are 2.0tfsi K03 and K04 (Mikes). If someone has a new TSI 2.0 then happy to come to a dyno session and stick the coils on. Hopefully soon I can get a bit more information on how these things work at their optimum and what works (timing,boost,fueling). As Hurdy said it may be that on a car that isn't remapped the benifits may not be that obviously as a remapped car pushing the turbo, timing and fuelling harder.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2012, 09:08:53 pm »
I have a 2.0TSi

Where are you doing the Dyno session?

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2012, 09:21:25 pm »
I have a 2.0TSi

On APRs Dyno as it stands Carl

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2012, 10:53:48 pm »
I have a 2.0TSi

On APRs Dyno as it stands Carl

Could use my car?  Got tax. Lol.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2012, 11:23:45 pm »

I told Keith he may have to have it trailered over, he is under the impression he can drive it over as 'road testing' ?

Testing the vRS wouldn't help me decide on the coils as its got a different map to me

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2012, 11:35:32 pm »

I told Keith he may have to have it trailered over, he is under the impression he can drive it over as 'road testing' ?

Testing the vRS wouldn't help me decide on the coils as its got a different map to me

He could drive it on trade plates.

If I don't adjust any settings then it would still show if there are any gains?  Or would Keith be able to tweek the map to see if there are any gains that way?

He is coming over in the morning so I can ask some questions when I see him.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2012, 09:37:28 am »
I think these might be very beneficial for my car because as soon as the boost is turned up i get massive misfire issues even on brand new plugs and coil packs!!

But the 2.0TFSI doesn't have this issue so i dont see the point in them on that engine.  Guys have been running stage 3 and 4 setups with no issues on std coilpacks so i cant see why they would be needed at stage 1, 2 or 2+.

Anyone know how they are for longevity?  Id be pretty p!ssed if i bought a set and one wore really fast, its a pretty expensive consumable.  Can you buy single replacements?

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2012, 09:47:46 am »
Can you buy single replacements?

On the US audizine forum one dealer says you can...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 09:49:35 am by bacillus »
Without traction power is nothing!