Make a donation

Author Topic: LOBA LO4XX Hybrid K04 Turbo  (Read 202326 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: LOBA LO4XX Hybrid K04 Turbo
« Reply #495 on: October 01, 2012, 12:20:54 pm »
Which software are you running right now.  Is it REVO or GIAC?

GIAC, how's yours running ?

How come the swap from REVO to GIAC?  Are you helping to develop them both?  

the question is, which is better?.....

As for my car, no idea at the moment as im in the middle east right now.  Think they are installing the WMI this week, Mike only dropped the cra off to them a few days ago
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:31:10 pm by Janner_Sy »

Offline Keith@APR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 36
    • Go APR
    • Email
« Reply #496 on: October 01, 2012, 12:42:01 pm »
NEWSFLASH!!

Next faze for the Loba car is a fully built motor, (this will be the motor that will eventually go in our 4WD car)
& a stand alone EGT / AFR kit so everyone can see the data @ different boost pressures once & for all

If you want  big power with the associated lag then go for a big turbo! (I am on one of our sprint cars that's for sure!)
For a good fast road car the 4XX is unbeatable its very very strong at the top even using the stock N75 never mind an EBC
If you want more power than a stock K04 with more flexibility than a Garrett then go for a 4XX it's great inbetween option

Best thing for all to do now is let the cars do the talking, there are lots of excellent tuners on here so lets crack on it'll be good spirited fun!!   :evilgrin:

Hello Statller from APR,

I was curious as to your statement above and was hoping you could clarify it for me.

Its common knowledge that the standard BW Ko4 is almost as large as a Garrett GT28RS if you measure the compressor wheels.

One size up in Garrett's line is a GT2871R.

The only appreciable difference between a GT28RS and a standard ko4 are the exhaust wheel size, exhaust housing and compressor cover sizes and the inlet to the compressor wheel, all of which are slightly larger to much larger in the Garrett units.

That being said, and from the dyno graphs you've shown of the Loba achieving peak torque around 4000-4500 rpm's, how is that this hybrid can be considered in between a standard ko4 and a proper Garrett GT28RS and GT2871R?

This is the number 1 question out there about this hybrid turbo and I am genuinely asking so you can help me understand.

Yes, I work for APR and we prefer Garrett turbo's to any turbo put together from parts not designed or intended to work together and not manufactured by a company with the proper equipment and resources to do so but the results are the results so even tossing all of that aside, I am truly curious as to your opinion in this matter as you stated above however, I was hoping you had some more technical information or data you could share that points to such?

Thanks!

Offline Statller-Stevo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #497 on: October 01, 2012, 04:01:22 pm »
NEWSFLASH!!

Next faze for the Loba car is a fully built motor, (this will be the motor that will eventually go in our 4WD car)
& a stand alone EGT / AFR kit so everyone can see the data @ different boost pressures once & for all

If you want  big power with the associated lag then go for a big turbo! (I am on one of our sprint cars that's for sure!)
For a good fast road car the 4XX is unbeatable its very very strong at the top even using the stock N75 never mind an EBC
If you want more power than a stock K04 with more flexibility than a Garrett then go for a 4XX it's great inbetween option

Best thing for all to do now is let the cars do the talking, there are lots of excellent tuners on here so lets crack on it'll be good spirited fun!!   :evilgrin:

Hello Statller from APR,

I was curious as to your statement above and was hoping you could clarify it for me.

Its common knowledge that the standard BW Ko4 is almost as large as a Garrett GT28RS if you measure the compressor wheels.

The only appreciable difference between a GT28RS and a standard ko4 are the exhaust wheel size, exhaust housing and compressor cover sizes and the inlet to the compressor wheel, all of which are slightly larger to much larger in the Garrett units.

That being said, and from the dyno graphs you've shown of the Loba achieving peak torque around 4000-4500 rpm's, how is that this hybrid can be considered in between a standard ko4 and a proper Garrett GT28RS and GT2871R?

This is the number 1 question out there about this hybrid turbo and I am genuinely asking so you can help me understand.

Yes, I work for APR and we prefer Garrett turbo's to any turbo put together from parts not designed or intended to work together and not manufactured by a company with the proper equipment and resources to do so but the results are the results so even tossing all of that aside, I am truly curious as to your opinion in this matter as you stated above however, I was hoping you had some more technical information or data you could share that points to such?

Thanks!

Hello Kieth from APR!

So not to make this too boring for everyone else right now lets keep it nice and simple
We actually need to use a Garrett setup on our sprint car so no problems with the GTX series for the amazing top end!
Regards lag I was talking more Gt30's not 28's as all the GT28 cars I've fitted up have never set me on fire regards out + out performance over even a stock K04 although I've never fitted an APR kit so maybe they could be better???

Suppose we're lucky that we've have had the opportunity to try both setups and compare where as you can only go on my opinion so its a little unfair for you, maybe you should buy a Loba to test ?

Just for now let me post the Lobas true EGT's up for everyone as that seems the main concern.

If you need the Lobas specs e-mail Darius Loba I'm sure he'll talk turbo spec all day long, I've tried to get a compressor map but its hard work

Regards spool I'm talking useable accelerative power not where the turbo peeks
How are you going on with everything now? anything exciting happening?

Thanks

Offline Keith@APR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 36
    • Go APR
    • Email
« Reply #498 on: October 01, 2012, 06:27:37 pm »
NEWSFLASH!!

Hello Statller from APR,

Thanks!

Hello Kieth from APR!

So not to make this too boring for everyone else right now lets keep it nice and simple
We actually need to use a Garrett setup on our sprint car so no problems with the GTX series for the amazing top end!
Regards lag I was talking more Gt30's not 28's as all the GT28 cars I've fitted up have never set me on fire regards out + out performance over even a stock K04 although I've never fitted an APR kit so maybe they could be better???

Suppose we're lucky that we've have had the opportunity to try both setups and compare where as you can only go on my opinion so its a little unfair for you, maybe you should buy a Loba to test ?

Just for now let me post the Lobas true EGT's up for everyone as that seems the main concern.

If you need the Lobas specs e-mail Darius Loba I'm sure he'll talk turbo spec all day long, I've tried to get a compressor map but its hard work

Regards spool I'm talking useable accelerative power not where the turbo peeks
How are you going on with everything now? anything exciting happening?

Thanks

Thanks, that makes more sense that you were comparing it to something like a GT3076 but to be fair to the 30 series turbo's, the hybrid is 100bhp off in power delivery.  I personally don't like 30's on 2 liters of displacement.

What have you seen with 2871R's on 2.0TFSI's?  We see peak torque around 3300'ish rpm's and peak power of 480bhp with other supporting mods of course, but at a lot less than 3.2k GBP for the turbo and manifold assembly.

Right now we are on a GTX2867 and I see peak torque at 2900'ish rpm's and we have it up to 480bhp as well.

After the late 90's early 2000's, I never thought I would see anyone even try a hybrid turbo, lol.  I guess history repeats itself.

In our testing, we found that the runner and collector size leading in to the turbine on the standard ko4 was creating such a restriction that we had to retard timing quite a bit.  What is your actual timing at peak RPM?  Do you have the proper data logging tools to see it?  VCDS doesn't show a true actual timing angle after all compensations have been applied nor can you see which compensation strategy is the reason for the reduction in timing request.

Because of the runners and collectors choking off the exhaust flow beyond 380'ish, we developed the Stage 3 manifold and switched to a turbo with a larger exhaust housing.  This is why we have a Stage III, otherwise it would have been a much less expensive solution to try something like a hybrid.

Even today, we are upsizing in turbocharger once we hit the timing limit of whichever exhaust housing we are using at that moment.  The Stage III manifold is designed to flow a ton but on 30 series turbo's we've found that even a GT25 flange can be a point of restriction and that is much larger than the standard collector on a k04.

I was told the car had a problem with timing at high rpm, so what I describe above could be the issue you are facing  (don't know if that's true or not, that's what somebody told me).  If you need my datalogging, you can come down to the office some day and we can put it on the dyno and see.

Evan and I need to get up your way soon, we can bring a Stage III car if you have a free afternoon and you can run it around and take a look first hand.

Good luck with the project, let me know if I can help in any way.  The customer service you guys provide seems top notch so I expect your clients will be happy or you'll at least die trying!  Can't ask for more than that.

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #499 on: October 01, 2012, 08:46:41 pm »
What comp wheel size would the TTRS turbo compare to on a Garrett turbo?  The Loba just uses a TTRS CHRA welded to the K04 mani/hotside does it not?

Still cant see how a TTRS Loba hybrid can produce 500FWHP (360WHP on a Maha (420WHP on anything else!)) with 5 cylinders, more fuel etc and the LO4xx can produce the same with one less piston and a more restrictive mani.

What is being said is the LO4xx will flow the same as a GTX3071?

Lag is only in existance for those who cannot select the correct gear.  :driver:
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #500 on: October 01, 2012, 10:41:35 pm »
Looks like the equivalent thread on VAGOC has been Binned! Oh dear....

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #501 on: October 01, 2012, 10:50:17 pm »
yep we ALL need to be really careful this one doesnt go the same way....

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #502 on: October 01, 2012, 10:54:03 pm »
Seemed to be genuine questions that would concern someone parting with than many tenners though, that were being ignored.

Good to see Steve offer to show some figures on the EGT's.

I'm not sold tbh.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 10:56:30 pm by Tfsi_Mike »

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #503 on: October 01, 2012, 10:54:56 pm »
Why would it get binned?  :confused:

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #504 on: October 01, 2012, 10:59:00 pm »
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=915a1dacfgdnj5384efvekisp9&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #505 on: October 01, 2012, 11:01:18 pm »
Why would it get binned?  :confused:

Erm... ill have a stab at the following.

Money
Conflict of interests
Un-answered questions

Why do WE have to be carful Dave? We are all impartial... right? Surely people who have this product in there sights need any potential issues to be raised before they dump 4billion ugandan dollars on one, then find out its not quite all its cracked up to be.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=915a1dacfgdnj5384efvekisp9&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #506 on: October 01, 2012, 11:02:32 pm »
Seemed to be genuine questions that would concern someone parting with than many tenners though, that were being ignored.

I'm not sold tbh.

Really?  But its all shiny and silver and everything!!!  :grin:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #507 on: October 01, 2012, 11:04:54 pm »

I'm not sold tbh.

Really?  But its all shiny and silver and everything!!!  :grin:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #508 on: October 01, 2012, 11:21:17 pm »

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #509 on: October 01, 2012, 11:28:14 pm »
The thread is going ok at the minute.  :laugh:
To be fair this type of upgrade is at the pointy end of modifications and the few mentalists who take there cars this far, have travelled down the long and w binding road enough to know how all this big tuner back and to upgrade thing works.  :happy2: