Make a donation

Author Topic: Weeks away from owning GTI hopefully!! ADVICE needed plz  (Read 8663 times)

Offline STU-HILL

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Weeks away from owning GTI hopefully!! ADVICE needed plz
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 02:37:02 pm »
Yes cambelt done and the dealer only deals in prestige cars (bmws, mercs etc) and is very nice setup compared to the other garage I visited today.

the only issue and it's because im being picky, are these small two scratches on passenger door. They have been touched in but not that well.

What kinda price we talking for a door respray or even a better scratch repair job??  Anyone know?  

The car is 6 years old though so I'm not expecting perfection and it does tick all the other boxes.

The prices of these Golfs are all over the place I've noticed. Some asking way too much! Will ring back in hour or so and maybe offer £7,300 then  :happy2:

Finding it hard not to get excited already!!   Cheers guys   :drinking:

Offline Rachael

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 02:56:59 pm »
Sounds good mate. Especially with the warranty.

Erm my moms got an eos, had a scratch taken out of hers for £100. Just depends really. Google it and find local people in your area :).

Im excited for you! Where bouts you from?

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 03:00:55 pm »
I made the jump from the polo.....you'll love your car.  I was very picky as well.  You'll grin the first time you floor her. :driver:

If the car ticks all the boxes and comes out fine.  Take the car!  Only after getting some money of though.  If not ask the dealer to repair it or you'll walk away.  I doubt a dealer would let you walk for the sake of a retouch your being reasonable.  i definitely noticed prices being all over the place.  I saw some dogs as well.  

Anyways keep us posted and show us pics!
3 Door GTI Black, Cruise Control, DSG, Factory Tints, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Highline Display, Leather, Monza II's, MFSW, Parking Sensors, Puddle Lights,  Xenons,

To be fitted....Bluetooth,DVB-T, MDI, RNS510, Stage one (opinions much appreciated)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 03:01:15 pm »

I had a look into that. £140 the aa wanted! Make friends with a mechanic. Thats what I did  :happy2:

....Wow! 140 squid!  :surprised: - Perhaps that included life membership. The cost will have certainly have risen since I was last aware of it a few years ago.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 03:03:19 pm »
If the rest of the car is good, you really shouldn't be put off by a couple of scratches! It's inevitable on any car that's been enjoyed.

You might want to check the wheel arches for any signs of rust - It's a known issue and there's threads about it on here.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline STU-HILL

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 03:05:41 pm »
Derbyshire so travelled hour and half to check out these two cars.

First one was bit cheaper but 05 plate and had water damage under the boot door handle where water collects so put me well off.

No such problem with 2nd one I saw.

Appreciate your feedback. You joined day after me I think and you are already the "go-to" girl for advice it seems  :notworthy:

Thanks Redrobin too!  I'm going to go for it!!! Hopefully next update will be pictures!!  :jumpmove:

Offline Rachael

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 03:18:44 pm »
Nar robin, was £130 I think If I was a member. Hense why I befriended a mechanic ;).

lol I just spent ages researching before I bought mine, I don't really know that much, just blag it  :happy2:

Ooo get the pics up straight away, exciting times! Even if u get him down by another £100, thats nearly half your tax  :jumpmove:

Offline STU-HILL

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 03:25:48 pm »

ha that's exactly what I was thinking!! Eases the pain of 250 pound tax disc  :surprised:

I've been doing my research too. Will be glad when have one as I'm all researched out tbh!!   :fighting2:

Offline Rachael

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 03:30:30 pm »
 I know. My last car was £115, so bit of q shocker. I know how you feel, kinda takes over you researching. I was gonna buy the BMW 1 series coupe (n47 engine), if you get spare time google it. Horrific!

But yer, do it do it! You won't regret it :)

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 04:18:12 pm »
I've got a three door and I'm pretty sure you need to check the door seals v carefully due to water ingress.  Also the rear lights need to be checked as water can collect in there apparently.  I didn't see such when I was looking but its something worth knowing.
3 Door GTI Black, Cruise Control, DSG, Factory Tints, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Highline Display, Leather, Monza II's, MFSW, Parking Sensors, Puddle Lights,  Xenons,

To be fitted....Bluetooth,DVB-T, MDI, RNS510, Stage one (opinions much appreciated)

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 04:24:02 pm »
Welcome along!!

Tornado Red 3dr, best choice IMHO. Robin and Rachael have mordor's (more than likely for their future children!!)  :signLOL:

Go for it, all signs are its a good motor, any link to the dealer it's up with?

Don't worry about any scratches, you may well be able to get them delt with by a Pro' detailer (many of whom reside on here) and if not a good body shop will do it in no time.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline STU-HILL

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 06:55:30 pm »

Cheers for the info guys.

I asked for some alone time with the car and did
 all the checks, under wheel arches, rubber seals etc and all seemed in good order.

Got the option to extend warranty for a further year too for 199quid to take it to 18months which I might do as well for peace of mind.

.....Bought! He wasn't budging anymore with price, but £550 off asking price will do me  :evilgrin:

Appreciate all your help guys. Pick her up in a week... Can't wait for that hour and half journey home  :driver:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 07:32:00 pm »

Also the rear lights need to be checked as water can collect in there apparently.  I didn't see such when I was looking but its something worth knowing.

....I haven't heard of actual water collecting there but plenty of cases of condensation which dissipates quite quickly. So I doubt it's a problem.

Offline STU-HILL

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 09:35:44 pm »
Hey guys,

Due to put my deposit down tomorrow BUT I have noticed that the car doesnt have Air con etc which I dont mind but I havent seen any other GOlf for sale without this air con??

It has a Sunroof etc but is it just really rare not to have aircon or do other people have it without too?  :confused:

Offline Rachael

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 09:42:38 pm »
Omg a sunroof?! Sexy. You don't need air con. I'll happily swap with you  :happy2: