Make a donation

Author Topic: Weeks away from owning GTI hopefully!! ADVICE needed plz  (Read 8671 times)

Offline Apollo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 7
  • Middlesbrough
Re: Weeks away from owning GTI hopefully!! ADVICE needed plz
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2012, 11:20:43 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Good thinking  :congrats: its far too late for logic from my old brain! 

Offline Dan.b

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2012, 11:25:19 pm »
I'd personally leave that one. The GTI is top of the range and should have all the bits least of all CC!

Also £7995 seems very expensive IMO!

I gave a lot less for my 07 with 40k on it :-)

Offline STU-HILL

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2012, 11:39:31 pm »
Offer of 7,450 was accepted with 6month warranty

Has Sunroof and A/C not a big deal to me personally

Car is in fantastic shape but just find it strange that only one out there for sale with no A/C

Just thought I would ask about on here. Seems likely could be Irish but emailed dealer and will see what he says in morning.

Offline STU-HILL

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2012, 12:23:57 am »

I think I've solved the mystery guys....

Dealer said the Owner had this GTI from Motorpoint... Just read up about how motorpoint source their cars from mainland europe and IRELAND...

Motorpoint say all cars "conform" to UK standards but I'm guessing that means doesn't always match UK specifications  i.e Air Con

hmm...

Tricky one now, as the car is in great shape and fair price I think. Would this kind of thing be enough to put any of you guys off though?

Offline Rachael

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2012, 12:28:21 am »
That makes sense. To be honest, all depends on when you plan on selling it. It's a typical British thing where we only buy something that's plain and simple because people don't want to research it. I'd be prepared to have to let it go for a little less than what's it worth when you sell it IMO.

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2012, 12:31:27 am »
IIRC, Motorpoint are down on the south coast and fellow forumite Oli (who I know quite well) has used them a lot. In fact I introduced Oli to this forum after I bought my Monza 18's off a GTI he had imported via Motorpoint(?).

Send Oli a PM perhaps?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2012, 12:35:25 am »
Thinking about this a bit more, we are each different individuals and therefore have different attitudes but, for my part, I would say that if you make a check list which is too long and aren't prepared to make a little compromise, it could be a long time before you get to enjoy a GTI.

Don't get hung up on residuals - Live to enjoy your driving.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Rachael

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2012, 12:42:31 am »
When are you going to collect it? Would you lose your deposit?

I'd suggest possibly waiting to see other people's responses/opinions of buying an import?

Or just bite the bullet and go for it, enjoy, and worry about selling it when it comes to it. You might not need to worry tho, perhaps someone you know will buy it after seeing what a gorgeous car it is  :happy2:

Offline STU-HILL

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2012, 12:55:56 am »
Agreed price etc and phoning me in morning to sort deposit, so not technically done until deposit is down.

I think Redrobin has it spot on. People keep saying lots of choice out there but I've seen some crazy prices and some poor examples too so I would kick myself if I leave this one and struggle to find another 56 plate in my budget in good condition.

I won't keep this longterm (3years maximum i think) so selling it on for good price is important but I think when it comes down to it people are just looking for a well looked after car with FSH etc and as long as it's not from Iraq, I'm not sure how much it would weigh on someones decision as much. Not all buyers will be quite as fussy I'm guessing and if we are talking about it just not having air con which seems the only difference (but has sunroof) then maybe not such a big deal.

Think the word "import" scares lots off but if we are talking Ireland, then hardly a million miles away.

Rachael, how long did it take to find yours out of interest?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2012, 01:02:19 am »

^ And your gut feeling  :happy2:

Offline Rachael

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2012, 01:04:15 am »
Pains me to say it but I think he's right aswell :smiley:

Yer think you've talked yourself into mate :happy2:. True, aslong as you explain it to buyers that it's a well known company in England that shipped it over you should b fine. Think I exaggerated a bit with Iraq lol.

Took me about a week, I was quite fortunate I think. Plus, being female helped a tad when it came to haggling lol. Im super jealous of your sunroof though!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2012, 01:13:00 am »
^^^^
Rach, I don't think you exaggerated about Iraq. Not Iraq but a number of Mk5 GTI's (and other cars) have been shipped to Saudi and ended up for months in desert car parks (I've seen pics) and then some imported to the UK by unscrupulous dealers.

P.S.- I've got a sunroof too!  :P

Offline Rachael

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2012, 01:17:06 am »
Huh! No way, get me with my car knowledge!

And I know, I dislike you also  :signLOL:

Offline STU-HILL

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2012, 01:22:01 am »
Think you guys are right.

I was after a good condition red, 3 door in my budget and I have one in my grasp.

No a/c and from Ireland doesn't outweigh the positives the car has in my opinion.

Things are never straight forward ey?? Guess it wouldn't make the end result as sweet if everything came easy

Well, I will sleep on it but goddammm life is for living, so what am I waiting for!!

Rachael... Redrobin, you guys have been awesome!!         Make a good couple even.......  :innocent: