Make a donation

Author Topic: Shark Performance Stage 1 to Stage 2.......  (Read 3576 times)

Offline Spencer78

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Shark Performance Stage 1 to Stage 2.......
« on: June 29, 2012, 12:57:19 pm »
Hey guys,

I have a stage 1 Shark Performance engine and DSG remap on my car along with a K&N panel filter.  I've had it at this stage since December and am really pleased with the results.  It made 298bhp and 427Nm of torque on the Shark HQ rolling road and can't recommend them enough.  Ben is a top bloke and the facilities are top notch.  I'm not getting into the debate of one rolling road vs another, but regardless of the true BHP, I'm really pleased with the results and the smoothness of the delivery.  As most of us know, power is addictive though and I'm craving more and more!  :evilgrin:

For me, the jump from the standard Pirelli to stage 1 felt huge.  Is the effect similar when you go from stage 1 to stage 2?  I guess I'm expecting about a 5-8% gain in power, does that sound about right?  Also, can I go to a stage 2 map with just a TBE or will I have to have a CAI too?  I have been told that if I got a Milltek cat back (as an example) and removed the pre-cat pipe, it gives me the same effect as having a full TBE.  Is that right as the difference in price is nearly 50%???
Shark Stage 1.1 Black DSG Pirelli Edition '08 plate

Offline E30Dom

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
Re: Shark Performance Stage 1 to Stage 2.......
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 01:01:27 pm »
You ideally need a 3" downpipe with sports cat/de-cat... and and intake...

And if Revo software then uprated HPFP.
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline Spencer78

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 01:48:42 pm »
Ouch, that's expensive!  So going from stage 1 to stage 2 is going to cost circa £2k (TBE, CAI, HPFP, stage 2 map) for around an 8% increase over what I have now?  Maybe I'll have to stay at stage 1 a while longer..........  :sad1:

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 01:52:42 pm »
You would just need a sports cat downpipe to go stage 2. I am stage 2+ and i am still using the oe engine cover. You would be looking about £600 ish to go stage 2 as Shark charge £100 for a map upgrade.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline Spencer78

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 02:42:03 pm »
That sounds better!  :jumpmove: 

Is a 'sports cat downpipe' the same as a cat back exhaust?  You're definitely right on Shark too, Ben has quoted £99 to go back for a stage 2 map and set up.

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 03:10:59 pm »
The sports cat down pipe is the front section of the exhaust that fits to the turbo.  The cat back fits after the cat and goes to the exhaust tips on the rear of the car.  The cat back is not needed at any stage of tune really, as the restriction is in the oe down pipe.  I have a BCS full TBE fitted purley for the sportier exhaust note :evilgrin:

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 03:26:20 pm »
The cat back is not needed at any stage of tune really, as the restriction is in the oe down pipe.  I have a BCS full TBE fitted purley for the sportier exhaust note :evilgrin:

I don't believe that... going from 3" to 2.5" oem cat back is going to require a reducer which is bascially a bottle neck and will cause reduction in flow... imo of course.

If you need a reducer pipe from a 3" downpipe to a oem cat back i have one for sale if you go this route...
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 03:30:07 pm »
The cat back is not needed at any stage of tune really, as the restriction is in the oe down pipe.  I have a BCS full TBE fitted purley for the sportier exhaust note :evilgrin:

I don't believe that... going from 3" to 2.5" oem cat back is going to require a reducer which is bascially a bottle neck and will cause reduction in flow... imo of course.

If you need a reducer pipe from a 3" downpipe to a oem cat back i have one for sale if you go this route...

The gains from a Cat back exhaust are negligible.  Ill see if i can did out the dyno sheets i have.  i gained 0.3hp or something like that iirc.  that was a before and after run. 

performance gains = downpipe
noise gains = cat back
TBE= performance and noise.

I ran the 3" downpipe for a couple years before getting a CAT back.  I only had the CAT back on for around a month before removing it as it gave no gains and just droned.  Not bothered about getting one for my current car either tbh.  maybe if i get one with the power valve to reduce droning

Offline Spencer78

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 04:43:36 pm »

The gains from a Cat back exhaust are negligible.  Ill see if i can did out the dyno sheets i have.  i gained 0.3hp or something like that iirc.  that was a before and after run. 

performance gains = downpipe
noise gains = cat back
TBE= performance and noise.

I ran the 3" downpipe for a couple years before getting a CAT back.  I only had the CAT back on for around a month before removing it as it gave no gains and just droned.  Not bothered about getting one for my current car either tbh.  maybe if i get one with the power valve to reduce droning

That's really interesting Janner.  Is there any noise gain with the downpipe at all?  Would like a bit more noise to be honest but not much and certainly not a drone, particuarily at motorway cruising speeds on part throttle.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 05:04:01 pm »
You get a deeper burble. Almost like a focus ST which I thought was perfect

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 08:28:35 pm »
If you live close to mansfield you can have a listen to my car if you like. Its not a golf but sounds very similar though.

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 09:29:04 pm »
If you live close to mansfield you can have a listen to my car if you like. Its not a golf but sounds very similar though.

"It's like a Golf, but not a Golf..."  :grin:
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 11:44:48 pm »
Its an Octavia VRS mk2, so like a golf but not a golf  :signLOL:

Offline Spencer78

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 10:58:13 am »

Thank you for the offer but I'm in Cheltenham.  I do travel to Mansfield to go to the Shark HQ every now and then though so next time I'm up that way, I'll give you a shout.  Think given everything you've said, my best port of call is to try and find a second hand TBE and go for the full system as I want performance gains and some added noise.....  :driver:

Offline GNJ_Motorsport

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 20
    • GNJ Motorsport
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 09:49:07 pm »
If you get the HPFP internals you are all set for stage 3 not 2. Ben will sort you out don't worry  :happy2:

We can do the Milltek downpipe and sports cat for £670, HPFP internals for £325 and the ITG Maxogen CAI for £360. So £1355 + £99 for the new map and you are at stage 3, not 2. Stage 3 is around 345-355bhp. I had that on my S3 and it was mentally quick.

0% Interest Free Finance Available On All Parts NOW
www.gnjmotorsport.com
info@gnjmotorsport.com  -  01254 883345
Facebook  -  Instagram