Make a donation

Author Topic: Driving across europe in the morning  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Russ_leeds

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 16
Driving across europe in the morning
« on: June 30, 2012, 10:23:56 pm »
Right well the time has finally come, and in the morning I'll be setting off on my driving holiday across europe. We're going down to dover, over to France, up into Belgium back across into Switzerland, into the top of Italy then heading up through Germany and the final destination Holland. Quite a long way really  :signLOL:

Should be a good road trip, first time I've done anything like it so jumping straight in at the deep end here.
 :happy2:
Black 2007 gti, 18' monza 2, sat-nav, highline, i-pod dock, armrest, 35mm H&R springs, WALK, BCS tbe, autotech front and rear arbs, ITG maxogen, NQSBBK... and more to come

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: Driving across europe in the morning
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 10:33:39 pm »

Remember Russ, the roads are long so try and behave.  The speed cameras are very discrete and the traffic officers will fie you on the spot.

Germany, however  :evilgrin:  (speed cameras are still very crafty mate)

Have fun.  Keep us posted.  Lived in Germany for 5 years and would go back tomorrow under the right circumstances.

If you're stuck for owt give us a text and Ill try & help out if I can  :happy2:

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 10:37:47 pm »
hope you are all kitted up, i was considering a european road trip but i read an article which made it sound like the french po-lice have it in a bit for gb drivers unless they have every last thing mr bureaucrat has deemed necessary in order to drive on their roads. maybe the article didn't tell the reality and its not quite so draconian.

anyway enjoy the trip, enjoy your car, it's what it was built for  :happy2: and let us know how you get on  :happy2:

Offline bakili

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: Re: Driving across europe in the morning
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 10:38:06 pm »
I am planning trip to Switzerland as well on Thursday. Drove to Slovakia few times in past, and loved it.
Good luck with your trip

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 10:41:35 pm »
hope you are all kitted up, i was considering a european road trip but i read an article which made it sound like the french po-lice have it in a bit for gb drivers unless they have every last thing mr bureaucrat has deemed necessary in order to drive on their roads. maybe the article didn't tell the reality and its not quite so draconian.

anyway enjoy the trip, enjoy your car, it's what it was built for  :happy2: and let us know how you get on  :happy2:

Drove through France countless times and was never stopped.  Hi vis vest, 1st aid kit, jerry can & triangle were all i carried but makes sense anyhow.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 10:54:15 pm »
Don't forget France requires breath test kits now too.

Have fun!
Sideways yo!

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 10:55:49 pm »
Mike - yeah as i say didn't know whether to take the article at face value or whether it was using a bit of sensationalism and a good point that most of the kit is sensible - bar the fecking breathalysers, i don't tend to enjoy a bottle of red whilst driving  :laugh:

Tony - and you need spare bulbs for your headlamps  :laugh:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 10:57:47 pm »
The latest French laws go much further than before: One Hi-vis vest per car occupant and all within reach and not in the boot. Double breathalyser kit, spare light bulbs, etc.

Also, the French police are far less kind than the Belgians and others in Europe. The Swiss have some unfriendly car laws too and more so if you are resident.

I have driven my GTI in various parts of Europe several times - You'll love it!  :happy2: I always take the Eurotunnel.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Russ_leeds

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 11:16:07 pm »
Cheers guys. I've got 3 spare headlight/full beam bulbs, a spare set of side lights and a spare stop/tail light bulb. I've got a couple of hi viz vests and a warning triangle, headlight deflectors and a gb sticker. I've been told that you can buy disposable breathalysers on the ferry.
I think thats about everything you have to carry. Of course i'm taking about 4 litres of oil (bloody drinks the stuff sometimes)
a basic tool kit, (hides head in shame at next one) a wash kit seen as though I washed it and then waxed it today only for it to piss it down straight after
Black 2007 gti, 18' monza 2, sat-nav, highline, i-pod dock, armrest, 35mm H&R springs, WALK, BCS tbe, autotech front and rear arbs, ITG maxogen, NQSBBK... and more to come

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 10:25:20 am »
Have a good en mate, we go in few weeks, south of France for a week, alps for a week, then well could be anywhere, she talking about Corsica.
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no