Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk2 Gti  (Read 2923 times)

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Re: Mk2 Gti
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 11:28:01 pm »
i'd love The Phirm's K04 2.0T'ed Mk2

can you imagine 300bhp in something that weighs 900kg?!  :driver:
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 11:30:00 pm »

You'd need an extremely stripped Mk2 to get near to 900kg.

My empty caged mk1 with 2.0 abf was around 850kg. Nothing but 2 seats, dash and cage in that.

Offline dave parker

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 07:44:31 am »
Whats the gist with the mileage situation?

90% of Mk2 seem to have 100-170k miles which obviously at first glance sounds loads but factor in that its a 20+ year old car and not too bad.

I had decided to wait out for a low mileage car, somethingup to maybe 70k miles, but not sure if its better to get one thats been used or one thatas not done as many.

Scary to get a 170k miles car when I have never owned a car done more than 40k .....
FOR SALE:
BBS CH reps
R32 Rear Lights
H&R Springs

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 02:24:48 pm »
its only milage people are way too hung up on milage in this country just go out have a look and have a drive check its history and make sure its not rusty and that it drives as it should and is not on its last legs and try to buy it off someone like us who loves his vw

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 02:42:36 pm »

My mate Nick "Nickb" has 300 hp, perhaps a touch more since the hard intake pipe in his lovely MkII.  20vT Bam motor

Id love a Tfsi MkII  :party: :party:

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 03:58:18 pm »
I've owned quite a few mk2s over the years, and have often thought of getting another as a round town runabout. They were the car that VWs reputation now was built on, very over engineered and properly looked after will last forever.
BUT they are old now, many of the rubber bushings will be shot, they don't have the soundproofing of modern cars and the oily bits will need to have been properly maintained.
So just buying one and chucking a set of coilovers on won't solve any problems. The axle bushes and top mounts will need replacing with decent quality parts. If you get cheap suspension you will get loud crashes when you go over potholes and small ridges in the road. If you just lower a car that has spend 20 years on standard springs chances are that the rear beam will knock on the exhaust and drive you potty; and a standard 16v feels like it has a giant power hole in the mid range where as a standard 8v has poor low speed throttle response on most cars thanks to the Digifant injection system (k-jet 8v's better response but probably not many decent ones left).

A decent set of gas dampers on standard springs will give the best handling for a daily driver, an 2.0 bottom end makes the car 100% better to drive whether it's an 8 or 16valver and new rubber axle bushes will make it safe to use at speed.
16v heads are a nightmare to repair.
For me it would be an 8v with the 2.0 bottom end out of an Ibiza GTI or similar minus the catalyst and the ECU written to suit. Power from idle to the (lowish) red line, huge torque so it wouldn't matter if you fluffed a gear change.
The bit where a 16v comes into its own is about 4500rpm and that's when you start thinking about the potential repair bills of a complicated 22 year old cylinder head going 'pop'!!!

Don't go on mileage on a car of that age if you want a daily driver. A mint low miler is too good to use daily, and a neglected low miler will be just as big a money pit as a high miler. It's an old car so go on condition, originality of body panels and paint and how much detailed history it has.

And we're not girlies here (and that goes for the women members too), don't get hung up on colour - it's a second hand car so you buy the best example not the sexiest colour!!
Andy
7R

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 05:55:40 pm »
Friend of mine has an ABF'd MKII with aircon - it is most pleasant. I'm too old and miserable now to have a daily driver without it.
Sideways yo!